1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL
    Real men carry 10 Guage. LOL Just kidding. They blow everything apart. High altitude goose guns and guarden prizners is about all they good fer. I only mentioned 22s and 410s (four ten) as baby toys. For rabbit huntin an such, I've got a Remington Model 1100, (old model, 12 Guage), for big game I've got a Remington Model 4 in 30.06. I've got a little Remington 410 pump to keep the varmints around the house laughen. LOL I upset the neighbors when I use the big guns. ;) The last few years I've started feeling sorry for the little critters, so I'm not as bad to blow 'em away nowadays. The wife would throw me out if I blasted one of them cute groundhogs that come in the yard to eat apples. She sez they look like little people settin thar on their rump holden them apples in their front paws and eatin.

Michigander...? Is that anything like a Buckeye? If only you coud hear my rich drawl, you wouldn't think so. Unless you're an old geezer, I've probably lived in the South longer than you've been alive. The writing skills are just a matter of good schoolin and keyboarden practice. LOL

Shardel
    If you're going to have a small antique firearms collection, you have a couple of good one's rich in history. Do you know any of the history of your firearms, who owned them and such?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2007
  2. FredBun

FredBun Active member

gerry I had to go downtown today to Temple Dental school on Broad and Alleghany for dental work, I noticed going south on 95 there is a new high rise going up in center city, its a tall thin sucker, whats that building about, do you know, I know your in or near center city.

3. Shardel

Shardel Guest

I do happen to know the history. The muzzleloader originally belonged
    to a Hatfield. I think you will recognize that name. The Harpers
    Ferry Musket has an accompanying canteen with the original cover
    which looks something like corduroy. It has the regiment on it. In
    the center there is a metal star engraved with each battle it was
    used in. I also have a 2 vol. set of civil war history that was
    written at that time. It follows each battle mile by mile. There
    are facts in it that I have not seen anywhere else. Also have the
    medical kit used by the doc in that regiment. It isn't the guns-although I'm pretty fond of them. Its the history I really love.

4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I also have a little 410 "snake charmer". About 30" long single shot, it breaks apart in the middle to load the shell. Nifty in a boat. Many moccasins here.

5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@FredBun ... I took this sometime ago from my living room; it is considerably taller now with much more glass that blinds the crap out of me right smack in my living room when the sun hits in. Is this is the one you're talking about? If so, that ugly monstrosity is Comcast's new Tower / Headquaters; a one hundred story or so blinding and seriously ugly building. If you have comcast at home, it's what your outrageous bills are paying for!!

[​IMG]

It's going to look like this when it's finished:
    [​IMG] a big giant mirror already causing accidents and lot of complaints because of the sun shining off of it .. god knows, it annoys the crap out of me every afternoon between 3:30 and sundown; it also reflects the heat of the sunshine too adding to the problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2007
  6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Shardel
    There's folks by that name in these parts. LOL I know the ones you mean though. Your living in WV, you probably heard some of the stories and myths. Besides the history of the Civil War, I did some studies in Appalachian history. There was a portion about the Hatfields and McCoys. It's much more than just 2 families with a vendetta.

7. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

@pacman,
    Who are you calling old? The first shotgun I ever fired was one of those, (My gawd, I am getting old)
    really nice firearm.
    As far as 10 gauge, I've only seen one of those, used for high altitude goose blasting and bringing down annoying satellites.

8. FredBun

FredBun Active member

gerry1, yep, thats the building alright, even though I still go back to philly quite often because of family or shopping or business, i'm in Bucks co. Featerville, Langhorne, just a half hour away from center city depending on traffic as you know I'm sure.

I never much paid to much attention to it, but know its gotten quite bigger, plus from 95 it looks very thin, as you know on our local news they always show the background of our slyline, but after viewing your pic its really not, 95 shows the side view unless you travel more south which I don't, I mostly get off on Girard ave. I use to live near 5th & Girard for years and still visit family and friends.

And your right, I am a comcast customer, yuk, fight with them twits all the time, and it's not like you can go anywhere else, Verizon just moved in and I have nieghbors that have it I don't like it much either, but no wonder I get higher bills every so often, its two bucks one month than another three bucks another and so on, probably paying for that monster you hate lol.

9. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i wouldn't need cable accept i watch the Fox News Channel 24/7

i use my roof top antenna lots,the best high def signal out there plus its free!!

10. FredBun

FredBun Active member

gerry1, I forgot to add, your outline at where your at, I know it exactly, I know Philly like the back of my hand, and I had to laugh, poor Willy Penn on your pic, he looks so tiny, remember when there was a law for years than no building was ever suppose to be higher, oh well, I quess it's called progress, so they say anyway.

11. Shardel

Shardel Guest

@gerry
    There is a solution for the glare and heat generated by that
    building and the sun. There is a window film available. It can
    be applied to the window or is available as roller shades. It
    comes in 3 types: A light, medium, and dark. Depending on the
    type it cuts the glare and also has insulating properties for both
    heat and cold. There is a 4rth kind that is used for privacy. It
    looks mirrored on the outside. From the inside you can hardly tell
    it is there. You have a completely clear view. It has the added
    benefit of keeping furniture and carpeting from fading.

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Now we know what happened to sputnik. LOL You would have been hard pressed to start shooting with a better gun than the 1100. The new model doesn't compare. I've got a friend who still wants to take it to turkey shoots. (For those who don't know, the shooters aren't harming any turkeys. LOL) The gun is almost show grade, no rust on the factory blue, no worn spots and no scratches on the wood. It looks better than most new guns. I keep it locked in the safe with my other "keepers".

Start talking about old guns and it brings you old timers out. LOL

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  13. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Shardel ... Now you tell me LOL! I'm moving to a larger place in the same building but on a different side. I have a rather spectacular view from my living room which I'm going to miss but the down side is that my side of the building, on the top floors where my apartment is is right on the downtown helocopter route and, believe me, when you have one of those damned things hovering fifty feel from your window ... you're going to hear it LOL! I can't tell you how tempting it is to just open the window when that happens and take out a good old sling-shot or find a way to heave water ballons at the damned things ... it a good thing I'm not 13 anymore; I'd probably be in jail for being unable to resist!

@FredBun ... I live right on Arch St 1 block s/w of the Logan Circle Swan/Mermaid fountain. The Comcast is only one third of a block wide which is why it looks so thin but I think there is some "tromp d'oeil" thing going on; the fact that its thin makes it look much taller (I suspect, anway ... I'm an artist as you know and I've done the same thing in paintings and drawings.)

Fred ... I can't tell you how often I've wanted to post of pic of that Billy Penn Bronze atop city hall. Have you ever walked toward it from the west or the east? It's obscene! I LITERALLY looks like he's exposing himself and holding his weenie LOL ... and it's bears a remarkable resemblemce to the appendage in question LOL! City folk lore has it that is was done deliberately to make it look like he was peeing on NYC LOL! This might actually be true; they use to do things like that with architecture in those days and Philly was in competition with New York to be the country's #1 financial power at that time. Obviously, we lost that particular competition but, as you know, Philly use to be an extremely wealthy and powerful city since the revolution until the 1930s or so.

Damn, I can't tell you how tempted I've been to post a pic of that huge bronzed statue of Billy Penn atop city hall ... perhaps I should; it just a piece of artwork; the mods could always remove it if considered to distasteful. Maybe it would be o.k. if I put it side by side with one of the rolled Scroll which he's actually holding giving the said obscene view at side angles! I thought I'd post this pic to give you the scope of that statue's actual size (I think Shardel might get a kick out of this two:

[​IMG]

14. FredBun

FredBun Active member

gerry1, LOL, that was good, I dont see why anybody would have a problem posting the pic your talking about, anyway, I know exactly where your at, I know the fountain, as a kid I can't even tell you how many times we jumped in to cool off on hot days, and the library across the street, I know the building is still there but I don't know if it's a library anymore.

As far as Willy, back in the mid 70's (I was a commercial roofer and waterproofer, retired in 05) we had to do some waterproofing on him, on his base anyway, and beleive me lol, his pp is not hanging, but come to think of it as I try to remember way back than, I could imagine how it can look like what you say, I'm still laughing cause your surmise is kinda close so to speak lol, anyway, my God I can go on and on about my Philly escapades, especially center city, even though I partied hardy in my young adult life there, but life there as a kid it was always the place to be.

And what I still miss most really, I'm a huge movie fan, I don't know how long you have been there but back in the 50's and so on Philly had some great movie theaters, we as kids use to collect big discarded soda bottles and turn them in for pennies till we got 50 cents a ticket and another 50 for snacks and for 50 cents it was like almost all you can eat back than.

The theaters were huge, and the screens were giants, and of course we almost always went during daytime on school days off or weekends, in the evening don't forget in those days people were decked out man, men wore suites and the ladies looked like queens, and in those days when you watched a movie you wouldnt here a wisper from anybody, besides laughing or the oh's and ah's, if you talked you were out, not like today, and of course I do prefer being comfortable than decked out in a movie theater, those changes I don't mind, but I wish the nonsense that goes on today in them is when I wish I was back in the old days.

My last regular movie going experiance stopped dead when the wife and I went to see Dances with Wolves, and as you know movies aint 50 cent anymore, you pay big bucks, was a bunch of older teenage chumps talking, screaming, laughing, drinking cursing, everbody was so annoyed, after like a half hour that was it for me, I politly asked if they could stop, I got the old F you, ok, f me, I'm not even gonna go into detail about the riot that started, cops came, and quess who got locked up, moi, and quess who didnt, not one of the nitwits got handcuffed, my wife didnt either thank goodness but when they handcuffed me my wife took a swing at a cop and missed she was so outraged but glad she missed cause we both probably have went, anyway, it wasnt just that particular movie, it was an on going thing, and remember the movie I am not gonna take it anymore, well it kinda happined lol.

I did see two more movies since in theaters, I did see King Kong, the new one, but because of some hearing loss I missed so much dialog, but you know, didnt I sit next to some girl that was yacking away at her cell all movie long, I just took it in stride and said to myself well thats the way things are now, plus of course to old for that anymore anyway, I went by myself to see that one, and so glad the wife didnt, cause I know that girl probably would have got smacked, I did see one more, mainly cause it was subtitled (Apocolypto) again I went by myself, it was a 10am showing and maybe 8 people in the theater at best, it was a great 3 hrs.

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

FredBun
    Just edit one out.

gerry1
    Was that pic another of your toys? lol

16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@FredBun ... its a damned crime but most of those big ornate theaters are gone and what few remain have been turned into "movieplexes" with five or six soundproof little theaters instead of the one giant one so you still can't see what lies under it all. There is still one of those big beauties and hollywood did the big "Premier" thing with Tom Hanks when the movie "Philadelphia" was released but it closed down right after that. It could well be the last of its kind in Philly and there has been this huge legal battle for years now trying to keep a developer from tearing it down.

Most of those theater were built before the movies, they were "vaudeville" theaters and the acoustics are astonishing because they were built before the invention of the microphone. Some had orchestra pits and pipe organs. Damn shame.

It must have been neat in a way working Billy Penn ... you've got more ba@@# than I do though LOL! (Sometimes we get window washer positions for the skyscrapers but not a whole lot of people want them even though they pay quite well).

Living in center city is still awsome. If you can't find anything to do, there is something seriously wrong with you! There is this wide spread notion that if you live in center city, you must be rich .. damn, I wish that one were true! All things are relative though; if you live in the Badlands, you're considered rich if you have electricity in your apartment or a can of spaghetti-Os in your cupboard!

Do you know, the state actually wanted me to make "home visits" in the Badlands some years ago? Racial tensions are still very high when you're that deep in the ghetto; as a white boy in a suit ... "the man" intruding into people homes; I'd be surprised if I didn't make the return trip home in a box "not for all the damned tea in china" was my response!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2007
  17. FredBun

FredBun Active member

pacman, never thought of that, but I've never done it before, a little help please.

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Notice the little pen and tablet icon to the top right of your post? Click it and it opens the Message window where you can edit the post and save the change.

19. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

Fred - no worries, i just deleted it for you..

20. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LOL! I can see it now ... a 40 ft tall bronzed statue weighing zillion tons in my living room! The head shown there might fit into my apartment if I knock out the walls, get rid of everythins and sleep on the brim of the hat LOL!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.