1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. billybob

billybob Regular member

pacman, thats the funniest thing ive heard all day!

2. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

That homemade cough medicine we were discussing must be going to your head. LOL Get yeself better billybob.

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

pac

Well, it can't go on forever!

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL I wasn't the one who started that. ;)

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

HEllo all!! Had to add this to brighten someone's day, hope it does. :p

...gm

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." Ferris Bueller

Beware the Garbage Truck........
    How often do you let other people's nonsense change your mood? Do you let a bad driver, rude waiter, curt boss, or an insensitive employee ruin your day? Unless you're the Terminator, for an instant you're probably set back on your heels. However, the mark of a successful person is how quickly one can get back their focus on what's important.

Sixteen years ago I learned this lesson. I le arned it in the back of a New York City taxi cab. Here's what happened.
    I hopped in a taxi, and we took off for Grand Central Station. We were driving in the right lane when, all of a sudden, a black car jumped out of a parking space right in front of us. My taxi driver slammed on his breaks, skidded, and missed the other car's back end by just inches!

The driver of the other car, the guy who almost caused a big accident, whipped his head around and he started yelling bad words at us. My taxi driver just smiled and waved at the guy. And I mean, he was friendly.
    So, I said, "Why did you just do that? This guy almost ruined your car and sent us to the hospital!"

And this is when my taxi driver told me what I now call, "The Law of the Garbage Truck."

"Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they need a place to dump it. And if you let them, they'll dump it on you.

When someone wants to dump on you, don't take it personally. You just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. You'll be happy you did."

So this was it: The "Law of the Garbage Truck." I started thinking, how often do I let Garbage Trucks run right over me? And how often do I take their garbage and spread it to other people: at work, at home, on the streets? It was that day I said, "I'm not going to do it anymore."

I began to see garbage trucks. Like in the movie "The Sixth Sense," the little boy said, "I see Dead People."

Well, now "I see Garbage Trucks." I see the load they're carrying. I see them coming to drop it off. And like my Taxi Driver, I don't make it a personal thing; I just smile, wave, wish them well, and I move on.

One of my favorite football players of all time, Walter Payton, did this every day on the football field. He would jump up as quickly as he hit the ground after being tackled.

He never dwelled on a hit. Payton was ready to make the next play his best. Good leaders know they have to be ready for their next meeting.

Good parents know that they have to welcome their children home from school with hugs and kisses. Leaders and parents know that they have to be fully present, and at their best for the people they care about.

The bottom line is that successful people do not let Garbage Trucks take over their day.

What about you? What would happen in your life, starting today, if you let more garbage trucks pass you by?

Here's my bet. You'll be happier.

Life's too short to wake up in the morning with regrets, so..
    Love the people who treat you right.
    Forget about the ones who don't.
    Believe that everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, TAKE IT!
    If it changes your life, LET IT!
    Nobody said it would be easy...
    They just promised it would be worth it!

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I see the world a bit differently. I don't like Garbage Trucks. I take dumping personally when it's directed my way. I refuse to accept their load. They usually mumble under their breath and move on or I tell them to take a hike and I move on. Then I leave the dump where it was and don't worry about the Garbage Truck or his/her load. My suggestion is don't carry someone else's load of garbage and don't let it effect your life. I can tell someone to take a flying leap without it ruining my day. It doesn't stop me from being focused or showing proper attention to people and things that are deserving.

My bitch for the day: "Garbage Trucks" shouldn't be allowed to drive on the highway with normal traffic.

GM
    I know what ye was saying. I have a problem turning the other cheek. That is unless I'm mooning someone. LOL

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  7. Shardel

Shardel Guest

Guess I have a different approach to the Garbage Truck. I figure if
    someone has that bad a day, they probably just need to get it out of
    their system and off their back. I'm really good at turning the
    other cheek. In fact my nick should by Top-sy. Often the person
    doing the yelling is frustrated by something else going on in their
    life that is hard to handle.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2007
  8. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

All I can say is TGIF, after this week at work, I need the 2 days off.Does anybody ever hear from Alkohol and the others anymore? Chris

9. Phlax

Phlax Guest

/methinks this thread is somewhat dead.

Code:
    MichaelP1
    Suspended permanently 
    Now that's GOTTA hurt.

Anyway, good morning AfterDawn.

10. billybob

billybob Regular member

More like the sites dead. Running out of members is my guess.

11. Phlax

Phlax Guest

No, running out of members willing to spend their time chatting pointlessly in SV thread is more correct, I think.

12. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- we have something like half a million members or whatever the figure is, the site is far from dead.

- that is actually my own well-known view on the matter.

Now let's play nice, i'd like to keep this one chat thread going, if only to keep the natives contained within..

13. Phlax

Phlax Guest

Play nice? Sure we can manage that, creaky.

14. billybob

billybob Regular member

Gee what a coincidence, sure that wasnt done on purpose.

Sure, play nice. Gotcha.

15. Phlax

Phlax Guest

Ooo, meoww!

16. Tashammer

Tashammer Member

ok, i will stick my oar in. i bin having a good read from the first page of this thread. enjoyed it muchly.
    i recall some names from times past.
    Oh, odd thing, it keeps showing me as a newcomer even after i think it's more than 5 years.

There is a vast amount of knowledge on this site and a tremendous amount of peoples experience and it all has been shared: this is terrific, that for all the crap going on around us, we still share unstintingly.

Thanks Guys

it's much appreciated

Tas

p.s. i wonder if there would be any point in turning it into a book? PDFing it maybe? Don't know if Hollywood would want to buy the film rights, i reckon they might rip youse off - wonder why? hehheh.

I liked the garbage man idea though as i get older and less stable i also find myself getting stroppier like yesterday i told my neighbour to *bleep* off or i would jam his head up his arse. Shit, all he would have to do is kick me walking stick away and, plunk! He is chainsaw mad and keeps cutting stuff down. That might not be so bad, but i planted it 14 years ago. Anyone know of a way of getting some sort of thorny bush to instantly grow? Be good for him. Oops. Scuse me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  17. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

IM BACK - LOL

18. billybob

billybob Regular member

Howdy kid!

19. Phlax

Phlax Guest

**falls off chair**

Welcome back Rots :p

20. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

@Phlax - the pot doesn't need stirring...

@Billybob - quit the comments and play nice, surely you have more friends than just in the Safety Valve

@Tashammer - language edited; if you've been here over 5years you'll know language was tolerated back then, not any more

@Rotary - welcome back young fella

edited spelling; note to self, obstructions in front of wireless keyboard's receiver often offend

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.