1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

[​IMG]
    full pix here

http://my.afterdawn.com/ireland/show_image.cfm/2157/1918

Denmark next in line to challenge Apple, DRM

3/26/2006 6:32:39 PM, by Ken Fisher

Apple's problems in Europe look to be getting worse, not better. Following on the heels of France's legislative push for DRM interoperability comes word that Denmark is thinking along the same lines. Reportedly, Maersk and the country's largest telecommunications company, TDC, are speaking out in favor of such interoperability.
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/322042

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  2. ireland

ireland Active member

I guess i will start the day here in this thread
    GOOD MORNING ALL
    and a little news for ye

The Hubble telescope continues to make us all say wow. The archive of pictures is massive and sadly we only see the cream of the crop publicly but those that are release can make you site for hours and ponder how really insignificant we are in the scheme of things. If you like narrated video tours then you will want to check out the Hubble Video collection
    http://hubblesite.org/gallery/video/

German 'jail file sharers' law

p2p news / p2pnet: Germany has just agreed on a new law that makes it possible to put downloaders behind bars for two years, and this is only if they use the movie for personal use.Commercial downloaders face up to five years in prison.
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/322289

FOR RELEASE ON: MONDAY, MARCH 27, 2006

LONGMONT, CO -- InPhase Technologies, the world’s leader in holographic data storage, announced today that it has demonstrated the highest data density of any commercial technology by recording 515 gigabits of data per square inch. Holographic storage is a revolutionary departure from all existing recording methods because it takes advantage of volumetric efficiencies rather than only recording on the surface of the material. InPhase will deliver the industry’s first holographic drive and media later this year. The first generation drive has a capacity of 300 gigabytes on a single disk with a 20 megabyte per second transfer rate. The first product will be followed by a family ranging from 800GB to 1.6 terabyte (TB) capacity.
    READ IT ALL HERE
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/322262

Last edited: Mar 27, 2006
  3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

It's a shame they are decomissioning Hubble, it is probably one of the most defining moments in space history, after the moon landings. It opened up the universe to us & has given us some of the most wonderful images of our universe imaginable.

Hubble deep field pics are simply awesome, galaxy after galaxy...

4. ireland

ireland Active member

Could Apple's troubles in Europe get any worse? It's on the wrong end of a lawsuit from The Beatles in the UK, who say iTunes breaks a US$26 million settlement under which Apple Computer agreed to stay away from the music business; there's a distinct possibility Apple's digital rights management technology might go down the chiottes in France; and, now two major Danish companies, Maersk and TDC, both with online music stores, would also like to see an end to Apple's digital rights restrictions.
    http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/322748

5. neil0337

neil0337 Regular member

well im new to this whole thing and ill be around .

6. ireland

ireland Active member

creaky and ddp darthnip i just sent ye a pm...and its good info

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

8. brobear

brobear Guest

I have no pity for Apple, Sony, or any of the companies involved in encrypting audio sources. If a person buys a copy of a work, they should be able to listen to it on any equipment they choose and not be limited to just one brand or piece of equipment for copy and playback.

9. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

10. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, thought I would check in on this thread too. Possibly my last post for a while. I'm going to take my own advice and stay off AD for a few weeks. I'm not closing my account but think I need get away from this and see what happens. We as members along with the mods make suggestions but it seems no one hears what we say. We have been complaining about certain problems for almost 2 years but its still the same story. I realize we don't own or actually operate this site but when you have many members making the same complaint over and over again you would think it would be heard. WHERE DID ALL THE OLD TIMERS GO??? I guess they all got fed up with the system. I'll probably check in every day and do some reading and see if any changes take place but my POST COUNT will stay where it is for now. To all the MODS, keep up the excellent work my friends because without you guys it would be hell on here. Later.

Jerry

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

jerry, you take it easy, i am back from my break it does work..

chill and become at one with your inner self and we can chat later, after yout holiday

regards

12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'll be here waiting for you Jerry :)

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

and just to bribe you to come back Jerry, you're one of the guys whose posts i used to always look out for when i joined up :)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  14. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I too echo these sentiments, both you and Rotary were the posts I looked out for, learned a lot from both of you :)

15. brobear

brobear Guest

Call me lazy, I agree with Jerry, but don't think the leave in disagreement will really accomplish anything. The powers that be rarely make changes that would cause a loss of face. I know I'm treading on dangerous ground, but there should be some positions of trusted status where a member with proven credentials can post with his word carrying some weight. Too many noobs have garnered Senior and Addict status by doing a lot of chatting and cheerleading for the current member titles to mean anything. Now all it says is that someone has a knack for keyboarding. Since the system is set the way it is, it's already too late to make amends. However, above the current mess, there should be a trusted group with a status that comes from only being true helpers and knowing what they're talking about. LOL I doubt I'd be one of those as I am told I rarely know what I'm talking about. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2006
  16. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I highly disagree with statement, tis untrue :)

17. ireland

ireland Active member

18. brobear

brobear Guest

Arniebear
    ;) See what I mean? ;)

19. brobear

brobear Guest

Ireland
    True, it is DRD's site. I'm not going to rag him over it. However, with things the way they are, there are no members with a title that can be trusted. I've heard better posts from newbies than some of the Addicts we now have. Titles no longer mean anything, so why even have them? You're welcome to take mine and put Newbie as my rank.

20. ireland

ireland Active member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.