1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Aw thanks Neph :-D

Hehe :)

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

Man I opened a can of worms here didn't I. LOL. Let's talk about something more important, LIKE; Where we like to eat or when we gonna eat, not what we look like afterwards. lol. btw, who's got the beer???

6' and a little over 22 stones according to the math I read earlier. I guess that makes me 2 of poor little ol' Ripper. lol.

GOOD afternoon to all......

.........c

3. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Hmm, you be a big man then :)

Are you jolly though? Can't be fat and grumpy! lol

EDIT: I have a friend exactly your size. He's a bit round(*a bit*) but he's pretty even sized.

So unless you're 100% flub I'd think you'd just be a big guy to begin with. No shame in a spare tire ;)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Years back I worked with a fella that was 6' 9" and didn't know his true weight till we did a job at a place that had a postal scale in the floor - he weighed 385 lbs. He was one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

5. greensman

greensman Regular member

Holy Cow we have been blessed by Nephilim and a good memory of a large man. lol.

Nice to see you here Nephilim and the kind story. I'm pretty nice, been called Smiley, Cartman, Fatman, Teddy Bear and some bad things by my wife. j/k she says she loves me.

Estuansis, yes I'm big and jolly. lol. 52 inch chest 44 inch waste and need to lose about 80 lbs to get back to normal. Dang wife had three children and lost back to 115 lb after the 3rd. BUT I kept all the "baby" weight. LOL.

.........c

6. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

OK, first off...GOTTA LOVE LOVE LOVE a man that keeps the baby weight for you. I had to give mine to Gold's Gym and it took me several tries before they would take it all.

Second - You boys fret about your weight more than I would have ever have believed had I not read it for myself!

Third - Virtual donuts make me jones for real donuts. Mmmmmmmmmmmm...but donuts are an hour + away! I had to make cinnamon rolls to compensate. I will share but you need time and a 4wd to get to them.

And lastly and least on topic...Anyone know of a good electrical engineering forum. One as cool as the afterdawn folks? NOT BLOODY LIKELY, I know! Everyone here is so helpful. Okay anyone know the formula for determining capacitance in induction power generation?????

Good night everyone, thank you for being such a great forum.

7. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

My best friend is an electrical engineer...primarilly designs amnonia refrigeration plants...I know he will know answer...give me as much info as you can on what you are trying to accomplish...

8. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!! Uber excitement. I really am a nerd. A cute one but a nerd all the same!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am trying to pin down the formula for determining capacitance needed to excite induction generation using an ac motor. The motor specs are as follows:

I am using an AC 3 phase motor:
    Horsepower: 1 1/2
    Voltage: 230/460
    Hertz: 60
    Phase: 3
    Full Load Amps: 5/2.5
    Usable at 208 Volts: N/A
    RPM: 1140

I can eek 13.3 amps (DC) out of it running at 1200 rpm with 40uf in delta off of the star connected 230 v input. (after transformer and rectifier magic to produce 48VDC) Also, I am running the motor at 1200 rpm off of a water wheel. I will be changing motors a few times during the year due to water flow issues. This is the largest motor I have.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide. I suppose I should say good night again, or good morning to keep on topic (SORRY last one)

Edited for silly overexcited mistake in posting email......

Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  9. greensman

greensman Regular member

@kitty66,
    I would PM Lp531 and give him your email. I know it's vague but you don't want the world to know your email. Lot's of weirdos in here. LOL.

........c

Good nite to all.............

10. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

Sure how bout I PM you...I would delete your email in the above post...dont want the spammers getting ahold of it...

looks like greensman beat me...

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

kitty66
    Here's some light reading for you. You might find something useful. ;) http://www.electricalengineering-book.com/subject-covered-part4.html It appears to be an order site, but it has capacitior info with electrical motor applications. Are you building your own powerplant?

From physics here is the formula for capacitance with a parallel plate capacitor:
    The amount of charge that can be stored in a capacitor is measured by its capacitance. A capacitor of one Farad (F) can store one Coulomb of charge for every Volt that is applied to the capacitor. The formula for this is:

C = q/v

Where C is the capacitance in Farads, q is the charge in Coulombs, and v is the electric potential in Volts.

For a parallel plate capacitor, the capacitance is given by the following formula:

C = ε 0A/d

Where C is the capacitance in Farads, ε 0 is the constant for the permittivity of free space (8.85x10 -12), A is the area of the plates in square meters, and d is the spacing of the plates in meters.

A Farad is a very large quantities of capacitance, so we will use metric prefixes to produce more usable numbers. Capacitance is normally measured in microfarads (µF) which is 1.0x10 -6F or picofarads (pF) which is 1.0x10 -12F. 1.0F = 1,000,000µF = 1,000,000,000,000pF! Be very careful with your calculations!

12. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Ohhhhhhhhh, thanks PacMan777. That is just the type of reading I like. Not the formula I am looking for but fascinating all the same. Really thanks, very cool list of equations! Plenty to keep me busy while my backups are encoding!

13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

What are you going to do with the information, take a test or build something? Or is that your idea of light reading? ;)

14. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Yes! I am indeed building my own power plant. (Gotta do something to keep busy since leaving the city) I live in such a remote area now that they do not predict utilities (phone, electric, etc) until at least 2070.

I am using 40uF capacitors now and getting good induction but I am wanting more per usual and there is a more detailed calculation for determining the capacitance required for the most efficient power generation.

I WILL BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!! I re-wired today for the high voltage setting (gained 3.3 amps) and it is three phase... I am often teased about my safety paranoia, but I am still here to tell ya about it, so there, hmmmmmf.

15. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Ahhhhh...light reading...no. But very very good keep my attention reading...yes.

16. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Wow, a gal that likes 80's punk, rockabilly and knows electricity!

I was a commercial/industrial electrician for a number of years, love the Milkmen and can't get enough of The Blasters and The Polecats :)

Ironically I have some electrical sidework to do tomorrow and need to get up way too early so good night all..........

18. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Right. You can't find a woman like that everyday. Too bad there aren't more of them. ;)

My hats off to you kitty66. Good luck with the generator and keep up the safety precautions. A person needs to observe safety when working with something as dangerous as electricity. There's plenty of characters in the cemetery that took too many chances.

19. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

@ Nephilim I so so love the milkmen, silly punk has a big place in my life. Can you beat it with a stick, hell no! I can't look at a camero without giggling, can you! Gotta love the blasters, Dave played for X for awhile too! Have a good night don't work too hard tomorrow.

@PacMan777 I will be careful. World domination cannot be obtained from one's grave...at least I don't think so... And yes (insert expletive of choice) the best info is for sale...That looks like just the thing I was looking for too. I may buy it yet. You rock finding something that fast I have been looking for weeks now.

PS. The ol' man thinks one like me in this world is quite enough. "Any more and revolution would be inevitable..."

20. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

kitty66

did you ever get your burning problem fixed i was helping you out on?

and long live the blues and punk!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.