1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Yeah, he would have to be and obnoxious critter if he's a puppycat. Most are tomcats. ;)

2. greensman

greensman Regular member

@PacMan77,
    You got me there. lol. My wife gave him to me before we got married and he is a part of the family, sometimes unfortunately. LOL. Yeh not a pu$$y but a tom. ;-)

.....gm

3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hmmm....curious distinction I never thought of!

I had a kitty that had a taste for vodka on the rocks LOL! Not scotch, gin or even beer; only vodka. Seriously! I had a roommate back then...we were sitting in the living room watching the tube and the cat jumped on the coffee table and sniffed at my stoly on the rocks, sneezed and couple of times and then did it again. We got a kick out of it and sat there watching. Then he took a lick of it ... started sneezing, shaking his head and sort of pawing at his nose. Then he just started lapping it up LOL! He went to the corner and fell asleep! I'd never seen that before or since.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Gerry
    Would that make the kitty a souse cat? LOL

5. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

This kitty only laps up Gin & Tonics. Silly cat that is so funny.

@Greensman - The only way to raise a good cat is to treat it like a DOG! Now KittyPrincesses are far more complex ;) I have two cats that have been raised as dogs and they come when called like that too. One is a manx and I swear it is a cat/dog by nature, but it is the first one I have had.

Funny about the cat having a preference Gerry1, I just read a story in the paper about a bear going through camp sights for one particular cheep beer. I forget which one it was. Guess animals care about favorite tastes too, especially if alcohol is involved...lol...what a riot!

6. greensman

greensman Regular member

This may be little long but it's funny. lol. I don't know how we got to posting jokes but it's in the safety valve, I guess it's no biggie. :)

O x y m o r o n's

1. Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?

2. Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand.

3. If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we ever know?

4. If Webster wrote the first dictionary, where did he find the words?

5. Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

6. Why does "slow down" and "slow up" mean the same thing?

7. Why does "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean the same thing?

8. Why do "tug" boats push their barges?

9. Why do we sing "Take me out to the ball game" when we are already there?

10. Why are they called "stands" when they are made for sitting?

11. Why is it called "after dark" when it really is "after light"?

12. Doesn't "expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?

13. Why are a "wise man" and a "wise guy" opposites?

14. Why do "overlook" and "oversee" mean opposite things?

15. Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

16. If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay you to do it?

17. If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

18. If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

19. If you are cross-eyed and have dyslexia, can you read all right?

20. Why is bra singular and panties plural?

21. Why do you press harder on the buttons of a remote control when you know
    the batteries are dead?

22. Why do we put suits in garment bags and garments in a suitcase?

23. How come abbreviated is such a long word?

24. Why do we wash bath towels? Aren't we clean when we use them?

25. Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

26. Why do they call it a TV set when you only have one?

27. Christmas - What other time of the year do you sit in front of a dead
    tree and eat candy out of your socks

7. kitty66

kitty66 Regular member

Ah HA HA...sousecat! Giggle...snort...blow red bull out nose funny!

Clever boy Pac...

8. ireland

ireland Active member

GOOD NIGHT ALL

WHAT MEN EXPECT/WHAT THEY GET IN A WIFE

WHAT MEN EXPECT IN A WIFE

* She will always be beautiful and cheerful.

* She could marry a movie star, but wants only you.

* She will have hair that never needs curlers or beauty shops.

* Her beauty won't run in a rainstorm.

* She will never be sick--just allergic to jewelry and fur coats.

* She will insist that moving the furniture by herself, it's good for her figure.

* She will be an expert in cooking, cleaning house, fixing the car or TV, painting the house, and keeping quiet.

* Her favorite hobbies will be mowing the lawn and shoveling snow.

* She will hate charge cards.

* Her favorite expression will be, "What can I do for you, Dear?"

* She will think you have Einstein's brain but look like Mr. America.

* She will wish you would go out with the boys so that she could get some sewing done.

* She will love you because you're so sexy.

WHAT MEN GET IN A WIFE

* She speaks 140 words a minute, with gusts up to 180.

* She was once a model for a totem pole.

* Where there's smoke, there she is-- cooking.

* She's a light eater...once it gets light, she starts eating.

* She lets you know you only have two faults: everything you do, and everything you say.

* No matter what she does with it, her hair looks like an explosion in a steel wool factory.

* If you get lost, open your wallet and she'll find you.

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

10. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Nephilim ,explain what is it?

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

abcd
    Cadavers and body parts, human anatomy.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  12. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Basically this anatomist/chemist guy figured out to preserve human bodies intact as they were when they were alive by replacing fluids and fats in the body with polymer. They have a dozen or so bodies that have been preserved in rather artistic poses highlighting different aspects of the human body.

One exibit was the entire human nervous system on its own and intact as it lies in the body. Several exhibits were of the circulatory system the most impressive of which was an entire man that had been reduced to just the skeleton and a few basic muscles but his entire circulatory system down to the finest hair-width vessels was preserved. Red plastic fluid was pumped through the guy's veins and allowed to cure then through mechanical and chemical means the rest of his flesh and skin were removed leaving his entire circulatory system intact exactly as it had lain in his body. The face and head was especially interesting with veins coming through through the eyesockets to feed eyebrows and cheeks while others went out to feed the entire scalp. Funny to see how peckers are nothing but a wad of blood vessels :)

They had another guy standing there with his entire body of skin draped over his extended right arm. Pretty wild to see just what the bodies largest organ looks like liberated from the body. All the bodies still had nuts, peckers, labias and poopers still attatched so it was fun to watch the kids and prudes trying to wrap their heads around what they were seeing :p

Here's the process,

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/plastination/plastination_process.html

Here's what one of the guys looks like. He's all 100% real made from a guy that donated his body to science,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

very interesting

14. ireland

ireland Active member

GOOD MORNING
    [​IMG]

The Daytona 500: Flying Without Leaving the Ground

By Michael Schirber
    Special to LiveScience
    posted: 15 February 2006
    8:00 am ET

In the 49th annual Daytona 500 Sunday, NASCAR fans will see some of the most high-tech, finely tuned aerodynamics at work anywhere on or off the planet.

Aerodynamics has always been important to racing. But it has become more crucial as cars have become faster, given that drag caused by air friction is proportional to the square of the speed (which means the faster you go, the more the air works against you).

NASCAR rules do not allow a car's shape to be streamlined by much. Still, engineers will alter the body a quarter-inch here, a smidgeon there, to get a slight advantage. The Car of Tomorrow, NASCAR's new body type being used in some races this year, will limit a lot of this aerodynamic tinkering. But teams will still go to the wind tunnels to test tiny alterations.

"Aerodynamics will continue to be a major player at any place where the cars are going over 150 mph," said John Fernandez, managing director of the NASCAR operation for Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates, which owns three cars in the Nextel Cup series.

The three D's of racing

Certain courses require more attention to aerodynamics than others. The super speedways at Daytona and Talladega are long, fast tracks where cars get up close to 200 mph. Daytona is 2.5 miles long, with the backstretch a whopping 3,000 feet without a turn. This is where aerodynamics—both in the shop and on the track—becomes one of the many keys to winning.

"If a car at Talladega suffers damage to the body, it can just kill that team's chances," said Jerre Hill from University of North Carolina Charlotte's motorsports and automotive engineering program.

Engineers carefully design their car's bodies to reduce drag and to increase the aerodynamic "downforce" that helps the tires stick to the ground in a turn. And during a race, drivers draft behind each other to experience less wind.

These three aerodynamic elements: drag, downforce and drafting, are not separate [graphic]. Increasing downforce means more drag, while cars with a lot of downforce are not as good to draft behind.

Drag

Drag is commonly divided into two kinds: friction drag—due the wind breaking over the car's surface, and pressure drag—coming from the low-pressure wake that develops behind a car and sucks it backwards.

Teams make tiny tweaks to the body shape to make the air flow more smoothly, thereby reducing both friction and pressure drag.

But "there's not a whole lot of wiggle room," said Gary Eaker, whose Aerodyn Wind Tunnel in Mooresville, NC, runs tests for NASCAR teams 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

"Teams have to become more and more creative," Eaker told LiveScience, just to get a half percent or so reduction in drag. But they are willing to do it because it can help them get a better qualifying position.

Downforce

Reducing drag is often secondary to increasing downforce, which allows cars to go faster through the turns.

"Drivers always say they need more downforce," Eaker said.

Downforce is also called "negative lift" because the physics is basically the same as the lift on an airplane wing, except it is turned upside down.

The average downforce on a stock car is between 1,650 and 1,750 pounds, Fernandez said. With this air-induced weight, tires have a tighter grip on the road, allowing drivers to maintain high speeds through the turns at Daytona and Talladega. But the drawback is that downforce adds to the drag.

"If you had your druthers, you'd have maximum downforce in the corners but little downforce on the straightaway," Fernandez said in a telephone interview.

Downforce can't be throttled back and forth like that. In fact, NASCAR teams are barred from changing the shapes of their cars during a race.

One way they get around this is by adding tape to the front grill. This increases downforce on the front of the car by causing more air to flow over the hood. But it also diverts air away from the radiator, so too much tape can cause a car to overheat.

Drafting

On the racetrack, both drag and downforce are affected by the air flow off nearby cars. In a common drafting situation, a lead car blocks much of the incoming wind, reducing the friction drag for a trailing car.

Drafting is important in many other sports, like bicycling. Roughly 90 percent of biking power is used to overcome drag, Hill said, so bike racers often ride in a pack, which can go 20-30 percent faster than a single rider.

Drafting bikers take turns in the lead position to block the wind for the others, so each can pedal furiously while at the front while relaxing somewhat when back in the pack. In car drafting, the lead car is also getting a benefit. Trailing cars fill in the lead car's low-pressure wake, thereby cutting down pressure drag. "The decrease in work for the lead car is substantial," Hill said.

With less drag for everybody, drafting lines can go about 5 mph faster than a single car. "On the super speedways you really need a drafting partner to get to the front," Fernandez said.

For Indy and Formula One racing, drafting is less effective. These open-wheel cars generate a huge amount of downforce, resulting in "giant-rooster-tail wakes that are less conducive to drafting," Hill said.

Car of Tomorrow

This year NASCAR will start using the Car of Tomorrow in certain races. The new design is primarily meant to improve safety, but it will also change the way that air flows over the car.

"It's a boxier car, so it has more drag," Hill said.

Two new components will be the main aerodynamic "knobs": a rear wing (replacing the spoiler) and a front splitter (a thin sheet under the front bumper that provides most of the front downforce).

Teams will be allowed to adjust the angle of attack on the wing and the position of the front splitter, Fernandez said.

"Everybody is going to be on a steep learning curve," he said.

The rest of the body shape will be more standardized, but Eaker doesn't believe this will hurt his wind tunnel business.

"It doesn't mean teams won't be changing things, it just means they will be nibbling off smaller and smaller effects," Eaker said.

* 200-mph Ads: The Top 5 NASCAR Paint Jobs
    * NASCAR Engineers Help Design New Combat Vehicle
    * Why are Races Run Counterclockwise?

http://www.livescience.com/technology/070215_nascar_aero.html

15. ireland

ireland Active member

Medical Advice

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting medical studies:

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

3. The Japanese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

4. The Italians drink large amounts of red wine and also suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

6. Ukrainians drink a lot of vodka, eat a lot of perogies, cabbage rolls and suffer fewer heart attacks than the Americans, Australians, British, or Canadians.

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

16. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Good afternoon all! I must have had a bit of a bug ... I went to bed early last night and didn't wake up until two this afternoon. My neck was killing me so I took some pain medication and it took me five mins to figure out why I was watching the DaVinci Code but hearing a dirrhea commercial. I really need to lay off that stuff! Anyway, hello to all!

17. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Gerry.. Only 5 mins to notice wrong soundtrack??.. It took me the whole film to work out they were talking c***.. LMAO!!

18. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Mornin'

19. ireland

ireland Active member

GOOD MORNING TO YE ALL THAT ARE STILL HERE

[​IMG]

20. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Morning, off today and tomorrow for Mardi Gras.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.