1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ireland

ireland Active member

had a good laugh tonight,my 3-year old grand daughter is staying with us tonight,,

i told her ye look clean and pretty after ye bath..

and she said to me and my bride

i washed me self so clean my booby's went away

and i said where did they go

she said they went to the booby house..

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I love kiddie jokes ... they're so dumb they're hysterical. I still remember one:

A short man meets a tall man and asks "Tall man, how did you get so tall" to he replies, "Every night before bedtime, I rub grease on my chest". So the short man tries it every night for weeks but remained short. He ran into the tall man and said, "I did what you said but it didn't work." "What kind of grease did you use?" asked the tall man. "Crisco", the other replies. "Well no wonder", tall man replied, "that's shortening" :)

3. ireland

ireland Active member

here ye go gerry1,

From The Mouth Of Babes

I had been teaching my three-year old daughter the Lord's Prayer. For several evenings at bedtime, she would repeat after me the lines from the prayer. Finally, she decided to go solo. I listened with pride as she carefully enunciated each word, right up to the end of the prayer: "Lead us not into temptation," she prayed, "but deliver us some E-mail. Amen."

And one particular four-year old prayed, "And forgive us our trash baskets as we forgive those who put trash in our baskets."

A little boy was overheard praying: "Lord, if you can't make me a better boy, don't worry about it. I'm having a real good time like I am."

A Sunday school teacher asked her little children, as they were on the way to church service, "And why is it necessary to be quiet in church?" One bright little girl replied, "Because people are sleeping."

The preacher was wired for sound with a lapel microphone, & as he preached, he moved briskly about the platform, jerking the mike cord as he went. Then he moved to one side, getting wound up in the cord & nearly tripping before jerking it again. After several circles & jerks, a little girl in the third pew leaned toward her mother & whispered, "If he gets loose, will he hurt us?"

Six-year old Angie & her four-year old brother Joel were sitting together in church. Joel giggled, sang & talked out loud. Finally, his big sister had had enough. "You're not supposed to talk out loud in church." "Why? Who's going to stop me?" Joel asked. Angie pointed to the back of the church & said, "See those two men standing by the door? They're hushers."

A mother was preparing pancakes for her sons, Kevin, 5, and Ryan, 3. The boys began to argue over who would get the first pancake. Their mother saw the opportunity for a moral lesson. "If Jesus were sitting here, He would say 'Let my brother have the first pancake, I can wait'". Kevin turned to his younger brother & said, "Ryan, you be Jesus!"

A father was at the beach with his children when his four-year old son ran up to him, grabbed his hand, & led him to the shore, where a seagull lay dead in the sand. "Daddy, what happened to him?" the son asked. "He died & went to Heaven," the dad replied. The boy thought a moment & then said, "Did God throw him back down?"

A Sunday school class was studying the Ten Commandments. They were ready to discuss the last one. The teacher asked if anyone could tell her what it was. Susie raised her hand, stood tall, & shouted, "Thou shall not take the covers off thy neighbor's wife."

At Sunday School they were teaching how God created everything, including human beings. Little Johnny, a child in the kindergarten class, seemed especially intent when they told him how Eve was created out of one of Adam's ribs. Later in the week his mother noticed him lying as though he was ill, & asked, "Johnny what is the matter?" Little Johnny responded, "I have a pain in my side. I think I'm going to have a wife!"

This last one is out of the mouth of my co-workers 3-year old son Reese: "Our father, who does art in heaven, Howard is his name...."

4. ireland

ireland Active member

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while
    they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for
    diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored
    lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and
    when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we
    took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special
    treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE
    actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it,
    but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were
    back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride
    down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into
    the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at
    all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound,
    no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat
    rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
    lawsuits from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms and although
    we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did
    the worms live in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or
    rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
    didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
    They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem
    solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW
    TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow
    up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives
    for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't
    it, or go swimming immediately after eating?!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  5. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LMAO! Those are great, Ireland!

6. ireland

ireland Active member

gerry1
    Life Explained.

On the first day God created the cow. God said, "You must go to field
    with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and
    give milk to support the farmer. I will give you a life span of sixty
    years."
    The cow said, "That's a kind of a tough life you want me to live for
    sixty years. Let me have twenty years and I'll give back the other
    forty." And God agreed.

On the second day, God created the dog. God said, "Sit all day by the
    door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. I
    will
    give you a life span of twenty years."
    The dog said, "That's too long to be barking. Give me ten years and
    I'll give back the other ten."
    So God agreed (sigh).

On the third day God created the monkey. God said, "Entertain people,
    do monkey tricks, make them laugh. I'll give you a twenty year life
    span."
    Monkey said, "How boring, monkey tricks for twenty years? I don't
    think
    so. Dog gave you back ten, so that's what I'll do too, okay?"
    And God agreed again.

On the fourth day God created man. God said, "Eat, sleep, play, have
    sex, enjoy. Do nothing, just enjoy, enjoy. I'll give you twenty
    years."
    Man said, "What? Only twenty years? No way man. Tell you what, I'll
    take my twenty, and the forty cow gave back, and the ten dog gave back
    and the ten monkey gave back. That makes eighty, okay?"
    "Okay," said God. "You've got a deal."

So that is why for the first twenty years we eat, sleep, play, have
    sex, enjoy, and do nothing; for the next forty years we slave in the
    sun to
    support our family; for the next ten years we do monkey tricks to
    entertain our grandchildren; and for the last ten years we sit in
    front of
    the house and bark at everybody.

7. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

LMAO! YOu're killing me here .... especially with that very last one! And with that last chuckle, I'll hit the hay...sleep well and safely all!

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

LMFAO!! That last one took the cake and it made for a not so good day turn out good. Thanks Ireland I needed that :)

See you guys and girls in the morning ;-)

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Ah, ok. I won't be very close at all will I? Bummer :(

Golf isn't quite my cup of tea but I do know that Scottsdale is one helluva place if you're into golf. Sports that don't involve lots of explosions and things going boom just don't seem to keep my interest very long :p

It's going to be .223 from my Mini-14 - apparently it's pretty fast and furious where we'll be hunting so a few quick extras on tap might come in handy. I haven't settled on a bullet yet but there are several that look really good for pig. It's a private ranch so using a 20-rd. mag is no problem :D

I'm going to be starting to load for .22-250 (prarie dog hunt in Montana the last week of July) and if I remember correctly you have some good recipes don't you? Would you mind giving up a couple good loads to a .22-250 newbie? I've been pouring over alot of load data and H-380 seems to be a good performer or is there a better powder?

Anyway - it's very late and I need my ugly sleep. Night all :)

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

With the lighter bullets for prairie dog hunting you might want to take a look at Varget and Benchmark. Those get some higher velocities. With the heavier bullets, i.e. 55GR, the H380 shows better. That's for these recipes anyway.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  11. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Neph and Pac are gone a huntin'

[​IMG]

Good morning from Philadelphia all!

12. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Now there is a scary thought.

Good morning from Tennessee :)

13. ireland

ireland Active member

GOOD MORNING YE ALL

Everything You Know About Disks Is Wrong

Posted by kdawson on Tuesday February 20, @08:34PM
    from the mean-time dept.
    Data Storage Hardware
    modapi writes "Google's wasn't the best storage paper at FAST '07. Another, more provocative paper looking at real-world results from 100,000 disk drives got the 'Best Paper' award. Bianca Schroeder, of CMU's Parallel Data Lab, submitted Disk failures in the real world: What does an MTTF of 1,000,000 hours mean to you? The paper crushes a number of (what we now know to be) myths about disks such as vendor MTBF validity, 'consumer' vs. 'enterprise' drive reliability (spoiler: no difference), and RAID 5 assumptions. StorageMojo has a good summary of the paper's key points."

go here to read,to much to post
    http://www.usenix.org/events/fast07/tech/schroeder/schroeder_html/index.html

14. greensman

greensman Regular member

Yeh but they ain't huntin no Wascally Wabbit!! They huntin them mean ol Porky Pigs. LOL.

Neph you guys be careful, those SOB's can be really aggressive!! Be sure to shoot some little ones (under 100 lbs) so you can get some good meat out of the deal. Makes great sausage if nothing else. :)

And good morning to you Mr. gerry1 and everyone else. ;-)

At home with a sick little girl and need the time off because I was up til 2 am this morning fretting and temp takin. I think I need more rest than she does. LOL.

....gm

15. ireland

ireland Active member

YE MEAN NEPH
    Ye are going to shoot the sweet loveable pet pig?

[​IMG]

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

@ireland,
    Yeh he's a pet pig keeler. lol.

Hey wanted to say thanks for the info on the router. Funny thing is I spent to many minutes trying to figure out why the standard password for a 2wire router wouldn't work then remembered this morning I had already changed the password because I'm paranoid anyway. Man I'm not even 40 yet and I'm suffering from Alzheimer's. LOL.

....gm

17. ireland

ireland Active member

Bill Gates keeps his kids off the computer

Daily rations for Pheebs and Raz

By Nick Farrell: Wednesday 21 February 2007, 11:32
    SOFTWARE KING of the beknighted Billy Gates III has revealed that he stops his 10 year-old daughter from using her computer for more than 45 minutes each day.

Bill told Reuters that he had a devil of a job getting Phoebe interested in the Web until this year, when she started at a school where the students use tablet computers for almost everything.

Then she started getting addicted to a gardening game on the Xbox 360 called Viva Pinata and was starting to spend three hours on it.

In the end Bill decided that longer 45 minutes on an Xbox 360 was too long, after all it might overheat.

As far as Phoebe's computer was concerned, Bill set the Vista controls to max so that it controlled the websites she visited, with an audit log to record sites she visited and whom she had been Instant Messaging. Some of our moles in Redmond may have been have rumbled.

Bill also set some limits on his son, Rory, who asked if that meant he was going to have dad controlling his computing experience for the rest of his life.

Apparently, Bill told Rory when he left home he could set his own screen limits. Although with Vole's Windows Genuine Advantage, both kids will probably have Dad controlling their use of their computer until they drop.

Unless they switch to Linux, but that might require a word with Uncle Vista and that is enough to scare any child. µ

L'INQ
    Reuters
    http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37763

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  18. ireland

ireland Active member

CHANGE THE PASSWORD TO THE ROUTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cisco says 77 of its routers open to 'drive-by pharming'
    Published 12:29:35 21.02.2007

Cisco Systems Inc. is warning users that nearly 80 of its routers are vulnerable to a hack tactic that got play last week. Dubbed "drive-by pharming" by Symantec Corp. and university researchers who first publicized the danger in a paper, the attack involves luring users to malicious sites where a device's default password is used to redirect them to bogus sites. Once they are at those sites, their identities could be stolen or malware could be force-fed to their computers.

In an advisory posted Thursday, Cisco listed 77 vulnerable routers in the lines sold to small offices, home offices, branch offices and telecommuters. The advisory recommended that users change the default username and password required to access the router's configuration settings, and disable the device's HTTP server feature. The paper, co-written by a Symantec researcher and two other researchers from Indiana University (download PDF), urged a similar move by router owners. More info can be found at :

Source
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9011588

19. ireland

ireland Active member

YE (Photobucket) USERS WILL LIKE THIS

Photobucket introduces web-based video editing tools

2/21/2007 10:38:36 AM, by Jacqui Cheng

Adobe and Photobucket announced a partnership today that will allow Photobucket's 35 million users to do basic video editing online through the web. The tools will be implemented in a browser using Flash and will enable users to remix their photos and home videos with other elements, such as music, video captions, and transitions—all without the use of dedicated video editing software.

The web-based video editor appears to have some relatively robust features as well, such as clip trimming and splitting. All of this can be done by a simple drag-and-drop interface, and Photobucket users are not just limited to their own content—they can also splice together content from other publicly-shared photos and videos on the service. It's unclear what file format the end result gets spit out in, but we assume Flash video based on Photobucket's statements encouraging users to embed their new creations into their websites and blogs.

"For the tens of millions of people who place their videos online, it is no longer good enough to simply post and share them–people want their videos to be compelling compared to other content," said John Loiacono, Adobe's Senior Vice President of the Creative Solutions Business Unit. "Adobe's web-based video remix and editing technology gives consumers an easy-to-use, 'no experience required' approach to web-based video editing that will help their stories stand out."

Indeed, the availability of video editing "software" via the web will be an attractive feature for Photobucket users who may feel that their personal needs don't warrant spending money on traditional video editing software that they may not know how to use. It also gives Photobucket an attractive advantage over competing services like Flickr, which only hosts photos and does not offer any ways to edit or remix them online.

Aside from ease-of-use, another obvious benefit to these online video editing tools is platform and browser agnosticism, eliminating fears of compatibility problems that some users have when purchasing software. Adobe says that this is only the beginning of an upcoming string of partnerships with Internet companies "over the coming months," offering free, ad-supported services to web users. One service that would be perfect for this kind of tool would be YouTube, which already allows users to record directly to the site via a Flash-based Quick Capture tool. Photobucket is currently offering the new service to Photobucket Pro users as part of a limited beta, but expect to make the service available for free to all users by early March.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070221-8891.html

LINK
    http://blog.photobucket.com/

MORE INFO

Press Release: Photobucket Brings Free Web-Based Video Editing to Millions of Photobucket Users

PHOTOBUCKET BRINGS FREE WEB-BASED VIDEO EDITING TO MILLIONS OF PHOTOBUCKET USERS

New Adobe lightweight, web-based video remix and editing technology enables Photobucket users to quickly and easily add creative expression to their online personal media

February 21, 2007 – Palo Alto, Calif. – Photobucket (http://www.photobucket.com), the online personal media company where over 35 million people create, manage and share their personal digital media, today announced the launch of a new service, featuring lightweight, web-based video remix and editing technology powered by Adobe Systems Incorporated. The Adobe web-based video remix and editing technology is available online as part of the Photobucket user experience, and is currently offered as a Beta application. Photobucket users can now combine images, videos, text, and music to create personalized videos or “mashups” of content from their Photobucket albums, without requiring any additional downloads.

“At Photobucket we’re committed to helping our users get the most out of their personal media, and have fun doing so,” said Alex Welch, CEO, Photobucket. “Collaborating with Adobe gives our millions of users a simple way to create mashups that showcase their personality and creativity. Users can either broadcast these mashups widely, or share with a small group of friends and family.”

“For the tens of millions of people who place their videos online, it is no longer good enough to simply post and share them – people want their videos to be compelling compared to other content,” said John Loiacono, senior vice president, of the Creative Solutions Business Unit at Adobe. “Adobe’s web-based video remix and editing technology gives consumers an easy-to-use, ‘no experience required’ approach to web-based video editing that will help their stories stand out. We have fully integrated our tools into the Photobucket experience, enabling anyone who has Adobe® Flash® Player installed on their PC to use it.”

Adobe’s web-based video remix and editing technology is a Flash-based application built using Adobe Flex™, and delivers high quality video editing capabilities pioneered by Adobe Premiere® Pro and Premiere Elements. Adobe’s web-based video remix and editing technology offers a simplified interface, introducing consumers to video editing they can quickly master.

Using Adobe’s web-based video remix and editing technology, Photobucket users can combine images and video with captions, bubbles, frames, transitions, music, and other effects by dragging and dropping content to a sceneline. Clips and content can be reordered, trimmed, and split directly in the sceneline in a web-based environment. Users can work with content from their own albums, or access over 2.5 billion publicly-shared images and videos on Photobucket.

Once editing is complete, the resulting video mashup can be embedded into any web page, blog, or social network profile by copying and pasting a snippet of HTML code. The mashup can also be shared with family and friends using Photobucket’s built-in sharing tools. Photobucket recently launched features to enable quick and easy posting to blog services and social networks such as Blogger, Xanga, LiveJournal, MySpace, Bebo, and Facebook directly from within a Photobucket album.

Photobucket launched video hosting as an integral part of its service offering in April of 2006. Now, more than 35,000 videos are uploaded to Photobucket albums every day, making Photobucket the third largest video hosting site after YouTube and MySpace. Photobucket video is free to all its users, and members can upload videos in any standard video format (mpeg, avi, Divx, etc).

Adobe’s web-based video remix and editing technology is a free, lightweight, Adobe Flash based web application. It opens directly in the browser on Photobucket’s website, and requires Adobe Flash 9 to operate.

Product Availability
    Adobe’s web-based video remix and editing technology is initially available via limited public beta to Photobucket Pro users, and will be available for free to Photobucket’s entire user base of 35 million members by early March 2007. Users can access the product directly from their albums by clicking on a button in their album. For more information on the feature, users should visit Photobucket’s blog at http://blog.photobucket.com.

About Photobucket
    Photobucket is the easiest and most reliable way for people to create, manage and share their personal media online. Photobucket is the web’s most popular creative hub, linking billions of personal photos, graphics, slideshows, and videos daily to hundreds of thousands of web sites, including: MySpace, Facebook, Bebo, Friendster, eBay, Craigslist, Blogger, Xanga and others. Photobucket’s more than 35 million users upload more than 7 million personal photos, graphics and videos to Photobucket every day, and the site is growing at a rate of 85,000 new users a day. Photobucket currently serves over 70% of all content links to social networking web sites and serves over 3 billion images and video requests every day. The company actively moderates content to create a safe environment for its users, partners and advertisers. Photobucket has offices in Palo Alto, California and Denver, Colorado and is located online at www.photobucket.com

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

[​IMG]
    If one of these cuddly little characters get close enough to charge the hunter... Besides aggressive they're tough and they don't die easy. Note those tusks. I'd rather be sliced and diced with a switchblade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.