1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Spot on, but leave out the tears....never had that happen.

2. ireland

ireland Active member

good evening a little ufo for ye

France opens up its UFO files

* 20:57 22 March 2007
    * NewScientist.com news service
    * New Scientist Space and AFP

France became the first country to open its files on UFOs on Thursday when the national space agency unveiled a website documenting more than 1600 sightings spanning five decades.

The online archives, which will be updated as new cases are reported, catalogues in minute detail cases ranging from the easily dismissed to a handful that continue to perplex even hard-nosed scientists.

"It is a world first," says Jacques Patenet, the aeronautical engineer who heads the office for the study of "non-identified aerospatial phenomena."

Known as OVNIs in French, UFOs have always generated intense interest along with countless conspiracy theories about secretive government cover-ups of findings deemed too sensitive or alarming for public consumption.

"Cases such as the lady who reported seeing an object that looked like a flying roll of toilet paper" are clearly not worth investigating, says Patenet.

But many others involving multiple sightings – in at least one case involving thousands of people across France – and evidence such as burn marks and radar trackings showing flight patterns or accelerations that defy the laws of physics are taken very seriously.
    No explanation

A phalanx of beefy security guards formed a barrier in front of the space agency (CNES) headquarters where the announcement was made, "to screen out uninvited UFOlogists," an official explained.

Of the 1600 cases registered since 1954, nearly 25% are classified as "type D", meaning that "despite good or very good data and credible witnesses, we are confronted with something we can't explain", Patenet says.

On 8 January 1981 outside the town of Trans-en-Provence in southern France, for example, a man working in a field reported hearing a strange whistling sound and seeing a saucer-like object about 2.5 metres in diameter land in his field about 50 metres away.

A dull-zinc grey, the saucer took off almost immediately, leaving burn marks, he told police. Investigators took photos, and then collected and analysed samples, and to this day no satisfactory explanation has been made.
    Flashing lights

The nearly 1000 witnesses who said they saw flashing lights in the sky on 5 November 1990, by contrast, had simply seen a rocket fragment falling back into Earth's atmosphere.

"We do not have the least proof that extra-terrestrials are behind the unexplained phenomena," says Patenet, adding: "Nor do we have the least proof that they aren't."

The CNES fields between 50 and 100 UFO reports ever year, usually written up by police. Of these, 10% are the object of on-site investigations, Patenet says.

Other countries, notably Britain and the US, collect data more or less systematically about unidentified flying objects. In the US, information can be requested on a case-by-case basis under the Freedom of Information Act.

"But we decided to do it the other way around and made everything available to the public," Patenet says.

The aim was to make it easier for scientists and other UFO buffs to access the data for research. The website itself – which crashed host servers hours after it was unveiled due to heavy traffic – is extremely well organised and complete, even including scanned copies of police reports.
    http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn11443-france-opens-up-its-ufo-files.html

3. ireland

ireland Active member

Are You a Right-Brain Thinker?

GO HERE TO TAKE THE TEST

http://www.chatterbean.com/right_br...ad=610940832&sp=www.sciencedaily.com&fb=brain

EXAMPLE TEST QUESTIONS

Are you a right-brain thinker? Our quiz will show you how to get creative with your career.

1) Which of the following most closely describes your strengths? Solving math problems, computer tasks
    Outdoor and athletic activities
    Conceptualizing and creating
    2) In your spare time, you can be found: Volunteering, helping people
    Reading, writing, or drawing
    Working on your car, your computer, or a home improvement project
    3) In what type of work environment are you most productive? Outdoors
    An open office, surrounded by coworkers
    A quiet, private office
    At home, on my own schedule
    4) The left-brain thinker wants to complete home improvement projects, and the right-brain thinker would rather paint the rooms fun colors. If you wanted to do either of these in your home, you'd: Go for it: You own
    Ask permission: You rent
    5) You're on your way to work on a Monday morning. How do you feel? I am dreading it
    I can't wait until Friday
    I am looking forward to making things happen
    I can't wait to get there
    6) What was your favorite subject in high school? Calculus
    Computer Lab
    Literature
    Art/Speech/Theater

4. ireland

ireland Active member

GOOD NIGHT,AND I LEAVE THIS FOR YE TO READ........

SIXTY LITTLE-KNOWN HUMOROUS FACTS:

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat up one cup of coffee.

The male praying mantis cannot copulate while its head is attached to its body. The female initiates sex by ripping the male's head off.

The human heart creates enough pressure to squirt blood 30 feet.

An ostrich's eye is bigger than its brain. (I know some people like that.)

Starfish don't have brains. (I know some people like this, too.)

On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.

A crocodile cannot stick out its tongue.

The ant can lift 50 times its own weight and pull 30 times its own weight.

Polar bears are left handed.

The flea can jump 350 times its body length. It's like a human jumping the length of six football fields.

A cockroach will live 9 days without its head before it starves to death.

Butterflies taste with their feet.

Elephants are the only animals that can't jump.

Debra Winger was the voice of E.T.

Pearls melt in vinegar. (and wine)

It takes 3,000 cows to supply the NFL with enough leather for a year's supply of footballs.

Thirty-five percent of the people who use personal ads for dating are already married.

The 3 most valuable brand names on earth: Marlboro, Coca-Cola, and Budweiser, in that order.

It's possible to lead a cow upstairs...but not downstairs.

Humans are the only primates that don't have pigment in the palms of their hands.

Ten percent of the Russian government's income comes from the sale of vodka.

The sentence "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog," uses every letter in the alphabet. (Developed by Western Union to Test telex/two communications)

Average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches.

The reason firehouses have circular stairways is from the days of yore when the engines were pulled by horses. The horses were stabled on the ground floor and figured out how to walk up straight staircases.

The airplane Buddy Holly died in was the "American Pie." (Thus the name of the Don McLean song.)

Each king in a deck of playing cards represents a great king from history. Spades - King David; Clubs - Alexander the Great; Hearts - Charlemagne; and Diamonds - Julius Caesar.

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Clans of long ago that wanted to get rid of their unwanted people without killing them used to burn their houses down-hence the expression "to get fired."

Hershey's Kisses are called that because the machine that makes them looks like it's kissing the conveyor belt. (Actually, I'd heard that it was because of the sound the machine makes everytime it shoots out a block of kisses; it's a smacking sound like an exaggerated kiss.)

The name Jeep came from the abbreviation used in the army for the "General Purpose" vehicle, G.P.

The highest point in Pennsylvania is lower than the lowest point in Colorado.

The only two days of the year in which there are no professional sports games (MLB, NBA, NHL, or NFL) are the day before and the day after the Major League All-Star Game.

Only one person in two billion will live to be 116 or older.

The mask used by Michael Myers in the original "Halloween" was actually a Captain Kirk mask painted white.

If you put a raisin in a glass of champagne, it will keep floating to the top and sinking to the bottom.

Snails can sleep for 3 years without eating.

Actor Tommy Lee Jones and vice-president Al Gore were freshman roommates at Harvard.

The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they could be confused at a crime scene.

Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a "Friday the 13th."

The man who plays Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott on Star Trek is missing the entire middle finger of his right hand.

The Eisenhower interstate system requires that one mile in every five must be straight. These straight sections are usable as airstrips in times of war or other emergencies.

There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.

All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20.

The citrus soda 7-UP was created in 1929. "7 " was selected because the original containers were 7 ounces. "UP " indicated the direction of the bubbles.

Mosquito repellents don't repel. They hide you. The spray blocks the mosquito's sensors so they don't know you're there.

American car horns beep in the tone of F. (Then why do some sound high and others low?)

No piece of paper can be folded more than 7 times. (Wrong. I just did it by taping five sheets of tissue paper together and folding them eight times. I think what they're talking about is that you can't get a sharp crease... which I couldn't.)

Donkeys kill more people annually than plane crashes.

You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching television.

Oak trees do not produce acorns until they are 50 years of age or older.

The first product to have a bar code was Wrigley's gum.

The king of hearts is the only king without a mustache

A Boeing 747s wingspan is longer than the Wright brother's first flight.

American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating 1 olive from each salad served in first-class.

Venus is the only planet that rotates clockwise.

The first CD pressed in the US was Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the USA"

Apples, not caffeine, are more efficient at waking you up in the morning.

The 57 on the Heinz ketchup bottle represents the number of varieties of pickles the company once had.

The plastic things on the end of shoelaces are called aglets.

The first owner of the Marlboro Company died of lung cancer.

Barbie's full name is Barbara Millicent Roberts.

Michael Jordan makes more money from Nike annually than all of the Nike factory workers in Malaysia combined. (This could be fixed... what if Nike doesn't have a factory in Malaysia?)

Adolf Hitler's mother seriously considered having an abortion but was talked out of it by her doctor.

All US Presidents have worn glasses. Some just didn't like being seen wearing them in public.

Walt Disney was afraid of mice.

The sound of E.T. walking was made by someone squishing her hands in jelly.

Richard Milhouse Nixon was the first US president whose name contains all the letters from the word "criminal" The second? William Jefferson Clinton. (It would be fun to see what other words can be found in other president's names: obscenities, different names, expressions for the devil? This really isn't fair because most people have enough letters in their three names to make out something negative.)

ONE-LINERS!!!

The closest I ever got to a 4.0 in school was my blood alcohol content.

Marriage changes passion...suddenly you're in bed with a relative.

I don't do drugs anymore 'cause I find I get the same effect just standing up fast.

I have my own little world. But it's OK...they know me here.

Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes misery easier to live with.

If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

I don't approve of political jokes...I've seen too many of them get elected.

I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.

Shopping tip: You can get shoes for 85 cents at the bowling alley.

I married my wife for her looks...but not the ones she's been giving me lately!

If carrots are so good for the eyes, how come I see so many dead rabbits on the highway?

How come we choose from just two people to run for president and 50 for Miss America?

Why is it that most nudists are people you don't want to see naked?

Snowmen fall from Heaven unassembled.

Every time I walk into a singles bar I can hear Mom's wise words: "Don't pick that up, you don't know where it's been!"

Profundities:

Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Have you noticed since everyone has a camcorder these days no one talks about seeing UFOs like they use to.

According to a recent survey, men say the first thing they notice about a women are their eyes. And women say the first thing they notice about men is they're a bunch of liars.

Whenever I feel blue, I start breathing again.

In the 60s people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Doctors can be frustrating. You wait a month-and-a-half for an appointment, and he says, "I wish you'd come to me sooner."

...It's great to be a man? Because:

Your last name stays put.

You never have to use hot wax.

The garage is all yours.

Wedding plans take care of themselves.

Chocolate is just another snack.

You can be president.

You can wear a white T-shirt to a water park.

Car mechanics tell you the truth.

You don't couldn't care less if someone notices your new haircut.

You can open all your own jars.

You never have to drive to another gas station because this ones just too icky.

Same work...more pay.

Wrinkles add character.

Wedding Dress $5,000; Tux rental $100.

People never stare at your chest when you're talking to them.

New shoes don't cut, blister, or mangle your feet.

Phone conversations are over in 30 seconds flat.

A five-day vacation requires only one suitcase.

You can leave the motel bed unmade.

You can kill your own food.

You get extra credit for the slightest act of thoughtfulness.

If someone forgets to invite you to something, he or she can still be your friend.

Your underwear is $8.95 for a three-pack.

You can quietly enjoy a car ride from the passenger seat.

Three pairs of shoes are more than enough.

You can quietly watch a game with your buddy for hours without ever thinking: "He must be mad at me."

You can drop by to see a friend without having to bring little gift. If another guy shows up at the party in the same outfit, you just might become lifelong friends.

You are not expected to know the names of more than five colors.

You don't have to stop and think of which way to turn a nut on a bolt.

You are unable to see wrinkles in your clothes.

The same hairstyle lasts for years, maybe decades.

You don't have to shave below your neck.

One wallet and one pair of shoes, one color, all seasons.

You can do your nails with a pocketknife.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  5. Lp531

Lp531 Regular member

@pete
    Hang in there...

6. ireland

ireland Active member

GOOD MORNING HERES A DOWNLOAD FOR YE

[​IMG]

Tribler 3.6.0: 4th gen file sharing

p2pnet.net news:- "Dutch researchers have developed a network for a new generation of p2p file sharing through which, they say, faster down- and uploading and live video streaming will become a reality," p2pnet posted last year.

"Instead of the lone hacker, for the first time, it was written by a team of more than a dozen scientists," Johan Pouwelse, one of the group, said.

Now, a little more than a year later, "Define 4th generation file sharing system with social networking, recommendation, tag-based navigation, moderation, and real-time streaming," says the Sourceforge project description. "Remove .torrent, tracker, and website from architecture. Create reference implement. with Bittorrent ABC project."

Done. And Tribler 3.6.0 is a, ""This is a new type of Bittorrent client," Pouwelse tells p2pnet, going on:

"Just sit back and relax while Tribler scans The Internet and automatically finds .torrent files.

"No need to visit thevarious .torrent websites."

Click here for a download.
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=159448&package_id=178952&release_id=495616

Definitely stay tuned.

(Cheers, Johan)

Slashdot Slashdot it!

Also See:
    p2pnet - Tribler: New Dutch p2p network, February 21,, 2006

http://p2pnet.net/story/11746

7. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

This one may get deleted but it was to funny not to post ;-)

Subject: A Business Proposition

George wanted desperately to have sex with this really cute, really hot girl in his office, but she was dating someone else. So, one day George got so worked up and frustrated that he went to her and said, "I'll give you a $100 if you let me have sex with you."

The girl looked at him, then said, "NO."

George said, "But I'll be real fast. I'll throw the money on the floor, you bend down, and I'll be finished by the time you've picked it up."

She thought for a moment and said that she would need to consult with her boyfriend. So she called him and explained her situation.

The boyfriend says, "Ask him for $200, pick up the money really fast. He won't even have time to be able to get his pants down."

She agreed her boyfriend and accepted George's proposal.

Over half an hour goes by and the boyfriend is still patiently waiting for his girlfriend's call. Finally, after 45 minutes, he couldn't wait any longer and calls her to ask, "What happened?"

Still breathing hard, the girlfriend managed to reply, "The b-st-rd had all quarters!"

Management lesson: Always consider a business proposition in it's entirety before agreeing to it and getting screwed.

8. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@Ireland...got a kick out your PA jokes; particularly the one about the Amish guy and Pittsburgh being "out west" which is particularly true of me coming from Rhode Island which is only marginally larger than Philadelphia ... it takes all of 45 mins to drive the length of it and 20 mins to drive it across LOL! When I first got here I had a roommate and I suggested I'd like to drive and see Pittsburgh and I was nothing short of shocked when he informed me that driving back to Rhode Island would take less time!

Edit: The Amish joke is going over really big; local humor I suppose. The cops in the building particularly liked it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2007
  9. ireland

ireland Active member

\

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  10. ireland

ireland Active member

FOR GERRY1 AND ALL

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  11. greensman

greensman Regular member

@ireland,
    Nice funnies. hahaha. :)

Here's one for Gerry1 and all that need something for "those" people at work. hehehe.

Useful Work Phrases
    1. Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.
    2. The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.
    3. I don't know what your problem is, but I'll bet it's hard to pronounce.
    4. Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.
    5. I have plenty of talent and vision. I just don't care.
    6. I like you. You remind me of when I was young and stupid.
    7. What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?
    8. I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    9. I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth.
    10. I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you.
    11. It's a thankless job, but I've got a lot of Karma to burn off.
    12. Yes, I am an agent of Satan, but my duties are largely ceremonial.
    13. No, my powers can only be used for good.
    14. How about never? Is never good for you?
    15. I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to worship me.
    16. You sound reasonable. Time to up my medication.
    17. I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter.
    18. I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.
    19. I don't work here. I'm a consultant.
    20. Who me? I just wander from room to room.
    21. My toys! My toys! I can't do this job without my toys!
    22. It might look like I'm doing nothing, but at the cellular level I'm really quite busy.
    23. At least I have a positive attitude about my destructive habits.
    24. You are validating my inherent mistrust of strangers.
    25. I see you've set aside this special time to humiliate yourself in public.
    26. Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously, and change the subject.

....gm

12. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

As the sort who dislikes following crowds, my PC, cell phone, telly, and anything else I can find electronic will stay on tomorrow. If there was a legitimate reason for doing so, I might consider a shutdown. As it is it's just someone's whim and a lot of people followed suit. Now if they really want to make a statement, let them throw the PCs, cells, PDAs and the rest of their electronics away and not replace them. If it's a matter of saving resources and making sure there's more bandwidth for the rest of us. Thank you, I'll enjoy it. ;)

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

NOT that I don't like conserving energy or saving some, I do agree. It's like the GAS OUT they try to do every year. What does one day make when the day before and the day after everyone gases up anyway? So it's of no use IMO. Again just my take on things. :)

How's it going pacman777?? I'll be one of the few trying to take advantage of the "increase" in band width. hehehe.

.....gm

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

LOL Maybe we should help support the shutdown and then leave our toys on. LOL

15. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Morning.

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

EllO Ripper!!!

It's like noon where you is, ain't it??? LOL. Good to see you on AD. Haven't seen you much lately. You been elsewhere on the forums or is school keeping you busy? At any rate nice to see you and have a great weekend. :)

...gm

and a GOOD Saturday morning to all...........

17. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yeah, just 11.55 am here.. Hmm, I've been really quite busy tbh. Been lurking as of late.. I do read what goes on around the forums - can't have me falling out of the loop can we?! ;-P

And I'm really sorry I haven't got round to doing that sig for you.. I honestly haven't had the time. Photoshop hasn't been used in about a month or so lol; I'll get round to it mate :)

Likewise, have a good one.

...afternoon ;)

18. ireland

ireland Active member

good morning to ye all,waiting for me coffee to brew

19. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Haha ^^^^

All the jokes from the previous pages are keeping me amused whilst I do my ICT coursework.. lol. It's so easy it's mindnumbing. I swear i'm becoming less ict literate as the course goes on ;-)

Heh ^.~

20. ireland

ireland Active member

coffee is done,and just finished me first mug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.