1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where Did All The Old Timers Go, A Public Meeting Place For Open Discussion

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

saugmon how so very true that is.Was looking at a rules sheet handed out for classrooms now.Rules when i was in school never would've seen. Hell back then was ten wacks by the board of education for saying shit administered by the gym teacher and sure musta been twenty wacks by dad when i got home. Chris

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

True indeed. About 8 years ago or so, I thought I might like to teach and went for teacher certification. I worked for awhile as a student teacher as part of the practicum. I was teaching the 8th grade full of students who simply could read. I asked a teacher about it and she responded "We can't hold students back anymore and after a while of this, you just don't care anymore". They were a bunch of monsters! In the ed classes, professors (not much more than kids themselves) went on and on about how kids should never be punished but rather put into individule projects to expend that energy in a way that grabs their interest. I didn't last long...I was ready to strangle the kids and the professors both!

3. ireland

ireland Active member

good night

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  4. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I must have missed this somewhere. Why was aabbccdd banned for a month? What did the old timer do?

5. FredBun

FredBun Active member

saugmon, how so very true.

6. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I miss ddp

/me sobs

7. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

Is ddp really not coming back? I hate to hear that. Me thought he would be back by now.

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

hey there loco and garmoon........:)

ddp, where is ye???

aabbccdd what didn't you do now??..........LOL.........j/k

.....gm

9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

/me calls 'ddp, get yaself back in here, i know you need a rest after covering for me while i was off for a few months but don't let the stubborn forum busybodies put you off'

as to a certain member missing, i think we can all hazard a guess over why :)

10. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Me ALSO

11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Come on back ddp!

gerry1: My gf's oldest is in 5th grade. He's already failed an earlier grade,so 1 yr behind his normal class. He's failing 5th grade bad. She saw the guidance counselor,principal,and school psychologist yester day. They said even though he'll fail,they can't hold him back. WHAT!It'll affect him psychologically because his classmates will be way out of his age group.

If they hold him back,he'll only be 1 grade away from his little bro,who's 3 yrs younger. Their normal range of vocabulary to oneanother: Idiot,Retard,Stupid,and Freak!!! They know of no larger words than 6 letters, LOL. Those kids are lucky that they didn't have my Mom or Dad. Dad would have litterally tore him a new one, LOL.

Now when I was in school,this 1 group of kids a yr behind us kept failing 7th grade like 4 years in a row. They thought it was cool.
    The only cool part was they could drive a car as an 8th grader and
    buy beer as a freshman, LOL

12. LOCOENG

The good news is we still have this wonderful thread to miss ddp in.

13. gwendolin

gwendolin Senior member

Hey LOCO, send me a couple of boxes of Titleist...the cheques in the mail !!!

14. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Good Morning Everyone! I started the day with some amazement and laughs. They have one of the parks set up with all sorts of things for these "extreme sports" competition this weekend. I'm not usually into sports much but I could watch these kids all day. The things they can do on skate boards and those little bicycles are just amazing...like they defy the laws of physics; frankly though, they should all have their heads examined but fun to watch all the same.

@Saugmon...if the kid seems to be behind without reason, maybe there is a visual problem; many are easy to miss...dyslexia being the most common but a lot of schools and doctors still miss it. Handwriting that looks like a childs, transposed numbers like 642 being written as 624 ... number and letter written backwards like d becoming b are the easiest signals to spot.

Edit: I was kept back in the ninth grade and I passed all my subjects! It was the first english speaking school I'd attended (I grew up speaking french) and while I could read fairly well in english, my writing and speaking looked and sounded like a french translation (which it was). My parents were given the option though because they told my parents I didn't have much of a future if I didn't learn to write and speak english properly. They said yes and was I pissed! I'm glad they did though because everyday, I see people who've been here for twenty years and can barely speak and write the english language and I'm glad I'm not one of them. I don't speak with a french accent anymore though my family still does (their english is fine though and easy to understand). When I have a couple of drinks though, the more I drink, the heavier the accent gets LOL!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2007
  15. greensman

greensman Regular member

AAaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww loco misses his friend. Let's hear it for loco. aaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww

And what better thread than to miss an older timer in???

.....gm

16. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

There ain't no lightning while he's gone.

17. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I can quite happily say I miss having ddp around on these forums, too.

Point being greensman, that we'd rather have the guy back (or not having left in the first place) than have a thread to talk about his leaving in. A moderator for a thread is not at all worth it, period.

Afternoon.

18. LOCOENG

My point exactly...not that I don't think greensman got it either, but excellent observation non the less.

You are wise beyond your years mate...reminds me of someone else that used to be a little more active here.

19. Ripper

Ripper Active member

I'm sure greensman got it too, but I didn't see any reason not to reiterate the point in plain english for those that.. didn't.

Thank you Scott. Just out of interest, who might that person be? Lol.

Edit: Typo(s)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2007
  20. LOCOENG

I wasn't taking greensmans post down any at all...I'm sure he got the meaning of mine.

As for he who shall not be named, I shall not reveal his name at this time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.