1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where did the memory go

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by djmonsoon, May 17, 2004.

1. djmonsoon

djmonsoon Member

I recently installed a Maxtor 160GB hard drive, and it only shows that I have 130 GB to stor stuff(combining the F and E drive). Where did the other memory go. I used the slayers auto installer to install things.

2. ShadowNyt

ShadowNyt Regular member

A number of reasons:

You have C: D: E: F: and possibly also G: drives when using a greater than 137GB drive.

Add all of these up and you may get closer to 160.

Secondly Slayer uses up a fair amount of space with the installed applications.

Thirdly - HDs never give you access to 100% capacity - after formatting you will always loose a percentage of the available capacity. Same with PC's (FAT, FAT32 NTFS)

Lastly - depends on what chip you have installed - only the newer chips and firmware allow use of HD's bigger than 137GB.

3. djmonsoon

djmonsoon Member

I checked the drive, and drive G doesn't look like its activated. I have the X-cuter 2.3 Pro, I am not sure the bios though. Is there any way to activate the G drive without having to reformat the whole drive? I think all the extra space (close to 30 gigs) should be available on that partition

4. andres200

andres200 Regular member

under system settings there is an option that is 'use g drive'
    set this to yes