1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where do i start?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by pooter, Nov 6, 2003.

1. pooter

pooter Member

burner: sony dru510a
    stand alone: philips dvd750 (plays dvd+-r)
    tools: dvdshrink 2.5, dvdshrink 3, dvddecrypter, nero 6 ultra

alright, well i just aquiered the new media center edition 04 for my computer and some of you may know this allows you to capture tv broadcast to you hard drive (tivo). when i record a show mce saves it to hd as a dvr-ms file, a 1 hour show is about 3 gigs in size. its realy cool. now my question is, is it possible to burn these files (dvr-ms) to a dvd-r media and play on the stand alone and if so is it possible to shrink and fit more then 1 hour using dvdshrink? if this question has already been asked and answered on another thread please post link. this situation may be a little out-there i know but it would be kick-a$$ if it works...please help.
    p.s. the media i use is comp. with both burner and stand alone in case you wonder.

2. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

pooter, I'm affraid DVD Shrink (as well as most if not all the other "all-in-ones") will not work with dvr-ms files. :(

3. pooter

pooter Member

i quess to make this more clear what hardware, software, apps. and steps will i need in order to burn a dvr-ms file to a dvd-r and have it functional on my standalone?

4. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

I do not know, pooter, but hopefully somebody else will. ;)

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I did a quick Google search and it looks like there's at least 1 tool for ripping the video and audio streams from DVR-MS files. It's called DVR-MS to MPEG2 Ripper:
    http://www.thegreenbutton.com/downloads/files/RipSetup.zip

It says it will either rip to a single MPEG file or to elementary streams (1 MPEG-2 video file and 1 MPA audio file). DVD-Lab can easily author these files, and you can download a 30 day trial:
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvdlab.cfm

If you're making an NTSC DVD you'll want to convert the audio from MPA to Wave, as MPA isn't supported in the NTSC DVD standard. DVD-Lab can also do that for you. It has built in burning software, which I've never tried since I already have RecordNow Max. It can be a little intimidating for many new users because it has a more "professional" interface, but once you work with it a little it's really very easy. If you need help with it, let me know.

If you decide you want to try RecordNow, Oriphus has a great guide and a link to a 30 day trial:
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/recordnowmax.htm

Depending on the resolution of the capture and whether your standalone will play non-standard resolutions correctly, you may need to use an MPEG-2 Encoder after ripping from the DVR-MS file, but DVD-Lab will accept non-standard files and most newer DVD players (and maybe most older ones - I don't know) will play them with no problems. You also may not need to convert the audio, once again depending on whether the standalone has problems with it.

6. pooter

pooter Member

alright vurbal...thnx for the info bro. i d.loaded the ripper and the dvdlab, im going to try and use nero to burn. im going to play around with this stuff so ill keep you posted on the results and thnx again.

7. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

No Problem. Keep us posted.

8. Arnold2

Arnold2 Regular member

There is a place to find out, learned from a TV Show where http://www.dealdatabase.com go to the form. Not easy but can be done. Hope it helps you out. Thank you for the helpful information

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  9. handsomep

handsomep Member

fun mce sites:
    www.thegreenbutton.com

Microsoft MCE web site says that this is a good porgram/app.... Sonic Primetime ....dont know how it works yet...this wont let you cut out commercials though!!

or try getting Sonic MyDVD 5 it offer editing features so you can cut out commercials and such, also lets you burn dvr-ms files to DVD or VCD , but this is not sponsored by Microsoft but sounds like it may perform better.......who knows!!!!

Techmology Rulez!!

enjoy you kierky you!!!__X_X_X_X_X_[small]Gar Doi!![/small]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2003