1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is the best place to buy computer parts?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Pop_Smith, Nov 13, 2004.

1. dyinman

dyinman Member

I have actually found newegg to be very dissatisfying as far as prices for quality in the past. Also, in pricewatch u learn to look out for certain retailers (as being better than the rest) and most of them now offer free shipping or they say what shipping is right on the search engine pages. It also helps to know exactly what you are looking for instead of just browsing through the categories. Have you used pricewatch before?

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

I'm not sure who you are asking, but yes I use Pricewatch all the time. I have also spent over 10's of thousands of dollars buying computer parts in the last 5 years from online retailers, and I have found NewEgg to be the best service, quality, customer satasfaction, and usually the best price. My question to you would be have you ever bought from NewEgg before? I'm not saying there arent other good retailers out there but NewEgg is good and I'm sure if you asked 90% of the people here would agree.

Have a Nice Day :)

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

While pricewatch is very handy I'd rather pay a bit more from newegg if I have to in order to get the peace of mind knowing it's going to be delivered on time, it's what I ordered and I won't be hassled if I need to return it :)

4. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

I was thinking (just wondering actually) would it be beneficial to water cool the system instead of with fans?
    How is the noise on water cooled systems?

5. Nephilim

Low noise is definitely one of the big pluses of water cooling. I've thought about it myself many times but I always come back to one though - "you got water in your case, man!" But then again I'm a wuss when it comes to overclocking, water cooling and all that fancy youngster kinda stuff :p

6. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

lol, i have never over clocked anything nor do i plan too.
    I was just wondering because i hate all the noise my fans make when i am doing heavy gaming/encoding.

7. Nephilim

Well, water cooling would definitely cut down on the noise. Most have a couple fans to cool the radiator but I believe Zalman makes one called the Reserator that is totally passive meaning no fans of any sort :)

8. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

k, would i need a total different setup (i.e. a new MoBo, RAM Chips, etc.) if i go with water cooling?
    I found a water coolable 6800 that comes with a power supply.

9. Nephilim

No need for a special motherboard. The only thing you do different is to run hoses to a water block that attatches to the CPU instead of a traditional HSF :)

10. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well you might need a PSU if you run a more exotic unit ... like the ones ive shown u from time to time :p

11. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Hehe, with the card in my sig coming out soon, I maybe able to get the X800 XT i want(ed) (as it will be a bit cheaper!) They want $550 for the card in my sig :O

EDIT: By looking further @ this card, it supports 2 Outputs (to monitors or similar) and it will take up two slots :( Maybe thats a bad choice.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  12. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

on second thought, check this out :) This is awesome news for Nvidia :).

In a test conducted by Hothardware.com, the Nvidia 6800GT was EQUAL to the ATI Card in my sig (X850 XT Platinum Edition PCI-Express) when they tested it on Doom 3 (which is optimized for Nvidia card)
    http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?page=18&articleid=610&cid=2

check that out. It makes me think twice (in a good way) about getting the 6800GT.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2004
  13. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

:) Post edited, picture now gone from sig.

14. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Hey, after a bit of hardware trouble, (i am taking my computer in to the shop tomorrow) i decided to post my specs.

Case: Thermaltake Xaser V8000 (w. Window)
    http://www.thermaltake.com/xaserCase/WinGo/v8000a.htm
    CPU: AMD 64 3200+ (939 Socket)
    RAM: Kingston Hyper X 1GB (pc3200)
    Mobo: Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939
    Video Card: Gigabyte 6800GT
    Hard Drive: 250GB 7200RPMs (Dad said I could add dual 74GB Raptors in a few months)
    Power Supply: Antec 430W Power Supply (is that suffice if i add dual Raptors?)
    Burner:Micro Advantage (YUCK!, lol) DVD+\-R(W) Dual Layer.
    7 Fans (one on back, two on windowed side that have lights in them, one on top of case, haven't installed the rest).
    2 Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light Kits (4 tubes total)

any thoughts? Comments? etc.

15. Nephilim

Looks like you have a winner there. Slap those Raptors in and you'll be smokin' fast :)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004
  16. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

:) Ya, lol the "Hardware" trouble was a semin00b problem (at least in my eyes) I have never built a PC before and i didn't know that the newest graphic cards need to be plugged into the power supply (usually they draw power from the m/b).

I am probably gonna get raptors for my b-day as it is in March. Also, in about 3 weeks, i am getting a kit to upgrade myself to 1GB of RAM (as noted in my sig).

Time to try and RB/CCE a DVD, just to see how fast it goes.

P.S. I was gonna run a burn-in test for about 12 hours
    But, if i run one what program do you recommend?

17. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

Hey, i know this is off topic (sorry) but, i only scored 1948 on 3DMark05 with my new PC *shock*, without OCing is there a way to improve my score?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  18. wild77

wild77 Guest

That score seems low for the hardware you posted.You definately could use more memory at least 1 gig.When running your benchmark did you shut down all backround programs.

19. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

@Wild, yes i did, i made sure and kill everything except what was needed to run Windows (barebones).
    I upgraded to 1GB of DDR-SDRAM (PC 3200) so, i'll test it again today.

P.S. I am using 3DMark05.

I ran Aquamark3 and i got a score of: 32,738
    Which is good according to Aquamark, it says "High Level of detail on Nox (new one, not yet out) with a score of 20,000 or more."

Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  20. annec

annec Member

Try PriceScan.com for search. Usually Tigerdirect.com comes up right at the top along with NewEgg. They have a lot of really cool gaming cases, etc., as well as some really strange things you wouldn't find at CompUSA. I've been dealing with them for quite a while, no problems, quick shipping.