1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where the h... is my audio after encoding .XviDs?

Discussion in 'Xbox - General discussion' started by Buligwyf, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Buligwyf

Buligwyf Member

Encoding a file with the extension XviD-TVFF.avi so that I could stream to my sons Xbox was my first rip with Visual Hub. I used the Apple TV presets. The result was a success. Unfortunately my next attempts to rip other episodes with the same extension are giving me wonderful video BUT NO AUDIO, no matter if I run the encoded file in Quictime Pro, VLC or stream to the Xbox with Connect360. My first rip still works though - video and audio. Also tried ripping a DVD image with HandBrake. Video and Audio. OK. Tried encoding a .mov trailer, agin with Apple TV and H264 presets. Video and Audio - OK. So what´s with these .avi that I´m not getting audio?

2. steimy

steimy Active member

my first question would by why are you encoding them? The Xbox is quite capable of playing those files with no steps needed. You can either stream them. Or you can collect a bunch of them and use something like Nero 7 to make a data DVD with all the AVI's (DivX) files that it can hold on it. Stick the data DVD in the Xbox and use XBMC to play the files. It will list them and you just select them one at a time.

As far as DVD movies, if you use something like the AnyDVD & CloneDVD combo that will rip a DVD to your PC into a Video-TS folder (VOB files) then tge Xbox will also play those just fine with no converting or encoding.

3. Buligwyf

Buligwyf Member

Somewhere I should have mentioned that I don´t know formats from doormats! My (twisted?)reasoning for encoding is for my Xbox 360 to be able to read the files on my Mac via Connect360, which it will not do if the files are DivX/XviD. If I can stream DivX/XviD directly to the Xbox that is of course great. Where can I learn more about streaming and which app. will do it best? B

4. Buligwyf

Buligwyf Member

BTW someone suggested I use the advanced setting in Visual Hub " Force VLC decoding". It resolved the issue. The audio now works. :)

5. steimy

steimy Active member

If you are talking about the regular Xbox then look into setting up a connection between the PC and Xbox and use XBMC to stream the movies. Also called FTP connection)

If you mean an Xbox 360 then look into programs like TVersity and ORB which i think will transcode all the formats on the fly while streamim=ng them into WMP format which is what the 360 uses.

6. Buligwyf

Buligwyf Member

I should have mentioned I´m on a Mac... . Anyway, I´ll have a look at the programs you suggested, or whatever is equivalent for my OS. B