1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to buy DVD-Audio DTS discs and problems with 5.1 wav

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Jugulator, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Jugulator

Jugulator Guest

I was wondering if anyone knows a good website were to buy DVD Audio DTS discs.
    There are a few releases already (I have for example Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon) which I got on eBay. But I really can't seem to find what I want.

I was trying to buy Queen - A Night at the Opera (for example)...

On another issue I know you can make high definition Audio DVD's from your audio cds but is there anyway of getting wav->DTS (with more than 2 channels)?!

The reason why I'm asking is because I've downloaded Pink Floyd - The Wall and its suppose to be in 5.1, they are wav files and all I can hear is noise! How do I get them back to their original form?

I already tried Audio DVD Creator and I still have noise. Any ideas?!

Thaks in advance for everything!

2. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Okay, firstly lets clear up a few things here.
    DVD-Audio is not the same as DTS. DTS Entertainments did release some DVD-A titles, and some DTS-CD titles. DVD-A is lossless, DTS is not.
    DSOTM DVD-A - when you bought this you got ripped off. This was created by fans - for fans - for free.
    You can download it if you look in the right places. If someone sold it to you then they are cheap scumbags.

You cannot make High Definition DVD-A from a CD. Even if you upsamle from 44.1 to 96, and widen the bit depth from 16 to 24, all you have done is padded the original file with a load of zeroes, and you gain nothing at all in terms of quality. It's a myth.
    (And "High Definition" actually refers to Video, not Audio. With Audio the correct phrase is "High Resolution". Sorry abou8t the nit-picking, but it is actually all quite important as the confusion has allowed the labels to almost kill off true High Rez Audio)

Buying DVD-A is not easy these days.
    www.amazon.co.uk has a lot still available (Music/DVD-Audio)
    DTS Online also have a lot for sale.
    See http://www.dtsonline.com/shopping/catalogue/music.php and the Queen title will be in there as it was a DTS Ents release.

DTS-CD downloads are again not WAV files, or DVD-Audio.
    They are DTS multiplexes with a 16/44.1 WAV header designed to allow you to burn the file straight to a CD. Use Audio CD, use the WAV file, and play back through a DTS decoder and it will be there - the noise you are hearing is what a DTS encoded file sounds like when played through non DTS decoders.

Audio DVD Creator is not DVD-Audio, it is DVD-Video.
    DVD Audio Ripper is also nothing to do with DVD-Audio either, again it is DVD-Video.
    For true, cheap DVD-A use Cirlinca's DVD-Audio Solo.
    www.cirlinca.com
    It's $35 or so, and is true High Resolution DVD-A capable.

Creating 5.1 from stereo is a whole new minefield.

3. Jugulator

Jugulator Guest

Wilkes,

First of all let me thank you, I've been all over the internet looking for information on this. I want to let you know that I really honestly appreciate your response.

I had some problems understanding all this DVD-A stuff. I completely understand all the details that I couldn't quite figure until now.

I don't want to push my luck but, since you are the only one that answered me I'll ask.

Is there any way I can grab those "DTS multiplexes" and burn them on DVD as 5.1 PCM? I mean, all of them already have the channels separated and I have software to work with that like for example "DTSParser, Tranzcode, SurCode DVD DTS, Cool Edit, etc...".

Basically that's all my purpose since I started looking into forums (regarding this issue), and, to finish my objective is:
    -How do I convert and burn to dvd the wavs "DTS multiplexes" in 5.1 PCM format?

Again thank you so much for everything.

Also, thank you for the link where I can buy really DVD-A's! I'm going to get some of those no doubts about it!

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

As long as you have Tranzcode or Tranzgui, then all you now need is a $35 application called DVD-Audio Solo.
    it's available at www.cirlinca.com
    whilst it is not the most comprehensive authoring package available - it is extremely basic, no menus, no fancy stuff, but it will get your 5.1 PCM tracks onto a proper DVD-A disc.
    You cannot beat it for the money IMHO.

5. Jugulator

Jugulator Guest

Hi, once again thank you very much for all your help.

Can you give me a hand (almost step by step) on how to burn the DVD-A.

What happens is after I have the files *.-C.wav *.-FL.wav etc, when I feed these files to DVD-Audio Solo it gives the error "file not supported".

I've tried different types (like 48kHz, 44.1kHz, etc) and I even tried to do like they say in the web site (mono files by "family") http://www.cirlinca.com/surround.htm

I'm sorry to be such a pain... But I really have lost a huge amount of time on this and I still can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Please help me if you can.

Again, thank you so much for all your help!

6. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

Can you please upload one of the files to RapidShare or similar, so I can take a look at it?
    I'm wondering what the Bit Depth & Sample Rate is too - if the file has come from Tranzcode, it is going to be a 32-bit Floating Point file & that will not work.
    You should be okay with any of the following:
    16/20/24 bit
    44.1/88.2/48/96 KHz for surround
    176.4/192 KHz for stereo.

7. Jugulator

Jugulator Guest

Sure, thank you again and I'm sorry for any trouble. You've been the only one that's trying to help me and I truly appreciate that.

I've uploaded one song to sendspace here's the link:
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/pf99al

If you manage to get it into PCM 5.1 I would really be thankful for any kind of tutorial.

Thank you so much once again.

8. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

That looks to be a DTS-WAV file.
    When you see it, it will seem to be a straight 16/44.1 Stereo WAV, but that is just the headers being fudged by the DTS-CD encoders.
    Tranzcode will demux this into 6 mono WAV files.
    It's a GUI interface, so no tutorials are needed.
    Simply run the app, load the file, set the 6 mono WAV option, set the sample rate to 44.1 and then set the destination & hit RUN.

What version of DVD-Audio Solo are you using?
    My best guess - for now - is that you are trying to feed it a 32-bit floating point file instead of a 24-bit or 16-bit fixed point one. This will never work. You need to load these files into whatever editor you have (Audacity is a good & free one) and render it out as a 24 bit 44.1KHz file.
    Then load those into DVD-Audio Solo, and you should be good to go.

In all honesty, you don't need to do this.
    If you have a reciever or a soft player that will play a DTS disc, then all you need to do is write this to a CD & play that through the DTS decoder via a digital connection.

9. Jugulator

Jugulator Guest

Thank you so much for all your help.
    There are two things that I was doing wrong: 1) Try to play the DTS files on a non-DTS device. 2) Not encoding the 5.1 PCM with the correct parameters.
    You can't believe how thankful I am for your help. You have been the only one that helped me.
    Thank you so much once again!

10. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

You're more than welcome.
    Us surround heads got to stick together....we're apparently an endangered species.

11. harrydvd

harrydvd Member

Absolutely.

12. akmes

akmes Guest

13. akmes

akmes Guest

Hi Wilkes,
    do you know of any Dvd Audio player that can output LPCM5.1 through its 5.1 analogue connections?
    Many thanks

14. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

They all should.
    The way it (ought to) work is like this:
    Load DVD-A disc into player - this can be either MLP Lossless encoded or straight LPCM. If it is straight LPCM, then the highest combination you can output is 24/48 at 5.1.
    AT 16/96, you can get 61 minutes on a DVD5
    At 20/96 you can only get 5.0 on a disc or you hit bitrate limitations.

Your total, maximum bitrate for LPCM is 9.6Mbps, or 9,600 kbps.

If this is not enough info, please send me a PM with your email address & I will send you the Excel spreadsheet files.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  15. vsakae

vsakae Guest

I think you are very unluky. my friend do things like you,but no problem

16. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

?????