1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to start building a new PC.

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Mik3h, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Hiya guys.

Well my PC is around 5-6 years old and I think it's time to replace the processor, my but motherboard is pretty damn old so I'm thinking to replace the mobo too.

My budget is set at around £300/$600 and that's without things such as hard drives, DVD burners. What I'm looking for is a good up to date motherboard that supports DDR2 and has a slot for a decent processor (I currently have an A-Slot AMD 1700+ 1.5 GHz !) for gaming (Only game I play on PC really is World of Warcraft) and just running very smoothly (I don't use Vista and don't plan on doing so.) 4gb DDR2 RAM is probably more than enough for me and probably a 512mb GFX card.

I have a good knowledge on PC systems, I've just never actually build one before. And obviously I would need a new case for it, but I'd like to decide on a good mobo before I think about that.

Any good help greatly appreciated.

EDIT : I'm looking at this - http://www.probsolvexpress.com/technical.asp?partno=GA-MA790GP-DS4H

And this processor - http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?amd-x2m260

What are your opinions? I noticed it doesn't support IDE, meaning I will need some kind of IDE > Sata converter if my HDs and DVD burner is IDE?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  2. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  3. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Thanks for your assistance. Is it possible to just use XP 64-bit? Does 64-bit have compatibility issues with some applications?

4. Mik3h

Mik3h Regular member

Beep?

5. abuzar1

abuzar1 Senior member

Yeah you can use 64bit OS. It wont have compatibility issues as 32bit apps will run fine.

EDIT: I'm talking about Vista 64bit. I think XP64bit has issues and I would recommend against it.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008