1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to start modding?

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware mods' started by fiddler22, May 7, 2009.

1. fiddler22

fiddler22 Member

This will be my first mod, no real I picked up an old XBOX the other day, seems to be in working order. I'd like to mod this but not sure where to start. Here is what I would like to end up with, can some one point me in the right direction.

First I would like to use it as a media player for my backed up movies/pictures/music etc...

Second I would like to back up all my Xbox games directly to the HDD

Lastly, and this more out of curiosity. I understand once the XBOX has been modded you can not use it to play on XBOX LIVE. Is it possible to format a secondary HDD to use for XBOX LIVE?

Also any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am really not sure where to start. Obviously I will need to upgrade the HDD. What else will I need to look into? Chips, software other hardware?

One last thing, this is my first attempt at modding so any and all advice is welcome.

2. dennisv9

dennisv9 Regular member

did you even try to read around?

there are great tutorial on softmodding, either using an original game or hot swapping. use the search button and read those tutorial. upgrading your harddrive is covered in the same tutorial on softmodding with an original games. it even has pictures........

3. Demonix90

Demonix90 Guest

I picked up my 7 old Xbox few weeks ago and it died got a red ring. My brothers 360 got one in less then 7 weeks. I bought a used Xbox for 30$, and I too am doing my first mod.

I've been looking into both hardware and software. You and I want to do the exact same thing almost, so let me try to get you started.

www.gocybershopping.com is a great modchip supplier, HDs, solderless adapters, they even have an addable LCD screen panel with 2 USB ports.

copying-xbox-games.com is one of the best sites I have found for getting guides, ideas, and the truth to what you can do with an Xbox. This forum is helping too :)

Now, with a modchip installed and evo dash v 1.8+ (new interface), you can do exactly what you want. Copy movies, music, and even full Xbox CD images to run directly off your HD, without EVER needing the CD again. You can rent an xbox game for an hour and own it for life.

I don't know where you read you can't use Live, you can, however I don't know what dashboard, bios, etc you need to do that. Running your xbox mod off a second HD while keeping the original one installed is possible, but having a HD hanging off the side of your Xbox looks tacky. I'll get back to you on the HD, but I'll PM you once I get evo dash and send it to you, it's really a pain in the ass to find. Good luck.