1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which are larger- avi or mpeg?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by notsirk, Jan 21, 2005.

1. notsirk

notsirk Member

So I'm burning dvd's with both avi and mpeg files with Nero and I'm trying to fit as many files on the disc as I can. I have an avi file that is about 65 MB and an mpeg that's about 110 MB but the avi puts me way over the limit while the mpeg gets me just a tad over. Does it make sense to anyone why the smaller file takes up more space?

2. 448191

448191 Guest

It's not the filesize that matters, but the LENGTH of the clips. Avi files are often coded with MPEG4 codecs like divx or xvid, which can compress a longer clip to a smaller size than MPEG2...

Starting to make sense?

Oops, I forgot to explain to you that when you author a DVD, the video has to be transcoded to MPEG2, which causes the (longer) avi to take up more space on your DVD...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2005
  3. notsirk

notsirk Member

Thank you. It's makes a little more sense now. Although the two files are the same length, so I guess it has to do with how each file type is transcoded?

4. 448191

448191 Guest

Same length in time??? That shouldn't be possible, either the files are corrupted, or you're doing something odd..

5. notsirk

notsirk Member

I don't think they're corrupted because I can watch them just fine on the computer.

6. shiroh

shiroh Guest

try this.
    source DVD movie you usually buy at the video store.
    rip it

encode with divx/xvid
    and
    encode to mpeg2 (tmpgenc, cce, etc)

for the same filesize. you'll get better video with xvid, cause its much more efficient than mpeg2