1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Audio to choose in DVD2One: DTS or AC3?

Discussion in 'DVD2One forum' started by Tmack, Aug 16, 2003.

1. karatone

karatone Regular member

DTS sounds awesome! My question regarding DTS options on my version of dvd2one were answered by ripping movies that feature DTS ,dvd2one detects it,and gives you the option. Dolby 5.1 movies sound pretty good too!

2. Samantha

Samantha Member

WOOHOO IT WORKED

Thanx guys
    Now my husband is happy i'm not wasteing disks anymore lol

Thanx guys

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

lol - no probs, glad you got it sorted. Take care :)

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Glad we could help...

[​IMG]

5. karatone

karatone Regular member

Here's a question: I've been whenever possible choosing DTS audio only for my main movie back-ups, what happens when my copies are played on a dvd player without DTS? or a sound system without it,what will it sound like (if i can get sound at all) thanks!

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

It really depends on the DVD player - not the sound system. The DVD player HAS to decode DTS but the hifi system or stereo TV doesnt.

7. karatone

karatone Regular member

So are you're saying is that if these back-ups are played without a DTS equipped player I'll get sound but just not DTS sound? as long as the audio can be heard it's alright with me. I was just wondering because any of my DTS equipped back-up skip straight through the audio set-up menu,I think it's cool like that, I always skip all the previews and the other crap anyways. My home system is DTs equipped and I recomend it to anyone who isn't ,it's time to upgrade,it's awesome! thanks Oriphus

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

No probs :)

Just to clarify it Richard as i missed you MSN cuz i was watching Real Madrid vs Real Mallorca. If your DVD player doesnt decode DTS, even though your hifi system and/or TV system does decode it, it still will not play with sound. It is imperitive that the DVD player support the DTS for it to work. I have tested this with a Samsung and a Panasonic to confirm this.

On another not - The Pioneer DV565KS is one of the best DVD players available with DTS decoding and full DVD Audio compatibility as well as Progressive scan! Here is a link to one. I may get it ;-)

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/Warehouse/details.asp?ProductID=PIODV565SV

9. herbsman

My player is DTS as I told you Chris , I just didnt have a non-DTS player to check what karatone said about
    I thought there would be no sound as I also told ya in MSN ;-)
    Think you may be a little confused - lol

I thought you had a non-DTS player as you have about 50 of them...

laters bro

10. herbsman

I like that other Pioneer DVD Audio compatible player you posted a URL for in another link that I read ... the other one was about £299:99 (but I liked it a lot)

Would dearly love a DVD-Audio stand alone : )

11. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Yeah, it was sweet. In your last post, was that a quote from me? :-/ I cant remember. Anyway, to clear it up one more time incase anyone is confused:

If a DVD movie has DTS only as its sound track. It will ONLY play on a DVD player that supports DTS, irrelevan that the hifi system you may connect it to does or not. If it doesnt support DTS, you will not get sound!

I dont have 50 DVD players, I have 6 at the min :D and the Pioneer for £213 will be my next one i guess lol. I know the 565 is the one for £213, were you talking about the 656 for £299? It looked a lot bulkier than the other one without much more features.

12. herbsman

I liked the look of the 656 more so. Plus in the spec it stated about DVD-R(RW) playback whereas the £213 didn't (and I'm not saying it doesn't playback -R b4 you start Chris) lol

I was maybe going a little overboard when I said 50 players ...but hey ! You do have more than the average bear booboo [bold] ; )[/bold]

P.S. Quote was from karatone from above post (guess your eyes are going mate) hehe

13. karatone

karatone Regular member

How many of the latest Dvd players aren't equipped with DTS decoders? From what I've seen almost every tabletop player these days has DTS ,seems pretty common . Name brand units seem to be more feature packed than the cheapies.

14. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Actually its more the other way round. The cheaper and more expensive units have loads of features with the poepl who buy the middle of the range ones getting screwed. A lot of players now support DTS.

15. hairdress

hairdress Member

Just so you know as I have gone through this enough times. Even if your DVD player can Decode DTS if you don't have it hooked up to a reciever which will decode DTS it will not produce sound. There is no way to get the DTS signal to decode through the TV if thats where you have your DVD player hooked too. So you need to have both a DTS Reciever and DTS Dvd Player. I have verified this many times as when I first started backing up movies they all worked fine. When I lent a couple to friends it didn't produce sound for the reason I just gave. DTS and DD are battling right now like Beta and VHS did as to who is the better sound. personally I like DTS better over DD.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2003
  16. herbsman

Last edited: Sep 2, 2003
  17. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I prefer Dolby Digital EX to be honest, but really, THX certification is my fav!

18. karatone

karatone Regular member

Alright here's something I haven't tried yet but i may need to, it seems as though not every Dvd player in the house is DTS compatible so for every back-up made that has DTS encoding,I've always chose it,but now I'd like to know if I can choose more than one audio option (DTS,and AC3,2 channel english) I want to use only the options that are needed to be able to play on any player. I know that it will take more compression to accomplish ,but I'm wondering how this will affect picture quality, any advice would be helpful, thanks

19. herbsman

I sometimes choose AC3 6CH & DTS myself , if it's not a big film (ie; 4.8Gb after taking movie only rip).
    There's no noticle degredation of picture quality !

20. karatone

karatone Regular member

Thanks Herbsman,I'm going to try using both and see how it goes. I was worried about losing quality because of the more files being used ,but if it works for you I'll trust your word. Thanks Bud (Chronic)