1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which channel for Pro-Logic on DVD?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by boffyb, Jan 8, 2006.

1. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

Thanks guys. Where do I start: Well you see my computer system setup. I use Sony Vegas 4 to capture & edit my Dig8 movies. Then using Mainconcept MPEG encoder, then TMPGEnc to author DVD, finally NERO6 to burn the files.

My home theatre is a sony HTDDW870 H/T in a box. I have DVD hooked to the receiver Audio using COAX, Video using RCA jack, and also have analog audio hooked to the receiver using RCA jacks. The TV is hooked to the receiver. DVD is Toshiba SD3109, which has An optical & Coax O/P, also has 5.1 channel O/P audio AND it also has 2 channel audio out. Anything else you need. I have hooked the analog audio from DVD to receiver from the 2 channel.

The receiver manual states that if I chose 7 setup the Audio input at AUTO the system will detect and play accordingly, but does not work for my home movies.

Any help and ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

your connections are fine, although you could do without a few of them.. but we'll get to that later.

the videos you want or trying to watch... if they are off your video camera, you are basically stuck with 2 channel audio. unless you have some high $$$ encoding programs to change the audio, which i think is not worth the $$.

your receiver in the house does not seem to support an upmix configuration... kinda like a down mix.. where a 5.1 encoded dvd will downmix to 2 channel on a regular tv..

i think your stuck with 2 channel from your home movies.

3. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

Thanks, can I not use Soundforge to change the audio file after capture?
    If my receiver cannot convert 2 channel, I understand and can leave with that, but the pain is that I have to always reach over to the receiver button and change the audio-in settings when playing my home movies. Can't even change on the remote. Also the manual states that if I keep the audioin selection to AUTO it will detect the type of audio. What gives?
    What about the connections?

Again thanks for educating me.

4. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, a HTIB set up usually does not have the options that a receiver by it self would have.. so i will try to be as universal as i can.

i think this set up may work for you so you dont have to switch anything around.

from your dvd player, connect the optical to the receiver in its right location (you know.. dvd in.... duh)
    then, also connect RCA's from dvd straight to the tv.
    that way you can watch tv with the receiver on or off... but you audio from your digi cam will only bve in stereo.

5. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

I will try that, thanks.

What about using a sound program like Souny Soundforge to convert an exisiting Audio file after capture from digicam? Is this possible?

6. gear79

gear79 Guest

its possible, but i am not familiar with the program. i know it can be done, but usually that means $$$ costly programs.
    i only use nero, video vault pro, shrink, decrypter, anydvd, dvd43, dvdfab.

7. rjessa

rjessa Regular member

Got some good news for you. As I was messing around with my surround system, I solved my sound problem from my home movies. I had to change the sound selection from the DVD menu, and guess what it worked.

Thanks for all your help.

8. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

nooooooooooooooo don't go without me please, ahhhh i'm scared alone

9. meltstorm

meltstorm Member

people that don't appreciate advice should not ask for it.

10. gear79

gear79 Guest

it's like trying to teach my dog not to jump.... just don't listen !

11. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

i'm just kidding guys, but anyway, i just hooked all my audio staight to my reciever and all my video to my tv, only problem was the x box cables canot be pulled apart. its ok thought cuz my cable box is hooked up with coaxle and it needed a channel to get the sound from it to the reciever anyway since i'm low on cables. but anyway, by switching all my audio cables straight to my reciever instead of relaying thru my tv it got rid of my problem of the audio going out for brief periods of time on all the left channel speakers. does this mean my tv is bad?

12. gear79

gear79 Guest

agh.. i see you wised up..

anyhow... no the tv is not bad... it seems as it was trying to down mix the channels and having a problem.
    at least thats what i think... the receiver acts as the middle man for your system... connecting all components to the tv, well, thats just weird. i cannot figure for the life of me why you would have done that anyway.
    if your equipment has multiple outputs....
    example... dvd player has an optical/coax out and rca outs, you can use them both..
    connect the dvd player optical/coax to the receiver (so you can watch movies in surround sound) and then use the rca's when you dont, meaning you dont have to turn the receiver on..

same goes for cable/satellite box
    and same for x-box..
    i dont have an x-box, i have ps2. but it has both the stock cables out as well as optical..

13. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

brandonb,
    Didn't I mention before to make your connection to the receiver?
    Anyway glad it worked out for you.

gear79,
    You were right, I had a brain fade for a moment re 7.1 channel movies.

14. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

well i heard its better to use s video and an optical connection for audio. so i was just going to get s video and optical cables for my dvd player and cable box. not worry bout xbox and gamecube cuz i don't play them right now besides resident evil on gamecube, by the way, best game ever made. loved it. anyway, for ps2, i'm gonna get optical cables and just use the stock video rca cables because my slimline doesn't have a s video output but i could of swore i have seen some s video cables for ps2. only problem with that though is that my reciever's optical inputs are weird in the fact that they are not grouped with video 1,2,3,and dvd they are just labeled optical inputs 1,2,3 and on the top left corner of the back of my reciever.

15. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

eww scratch that last post seriously. what i meant was is coaxle or optical better? seriously, i knew componet is the best video connection. i just had a huge brain fart or something.

16. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

only thing is my tv doesn't have a coaxle input, the best it has is video. that is gonna defeat the purpose of all the coaxle connections, right?

17. dr_no

dr_no Regular member

brandonb,
    Lets do this again, I would recommend you use your receiver for all the connections. I have all my sources audio connection going straight to the receiver, none to the tv. After 4 1/2 years of having my tv I never even turned on the sound on it, speakers on tv to me are useless. If set up right on a good receiver, let the unit handle the audio switching. As far as video is concerned, it comes down to personal preference and the receivers ability to handle the switching. I mean some receivers are able to accept multiple video inputs and have an output to the tv. It works the same as with audio. If you have no such receiver then you can connect your video sources to the tv. As far as optical vs coax, its preference again, some people swear by one some by the other, I prefer coax. Hope I answered all your questions clearly.

18. gear79

gear79 Guest

the guys at circuit city aint helping you now?
    on your tv, all you have is a video connection? like what, the yellow connection (composite), or component?
    how could you have had it all connected to the tv then?

19. brandonb

brandonb Regular member

wow i'm sorry fellas, but my last few post just haven't been making any sense at all now that i re read them. what i was trying to at was my tv has five inputs besides the old screw on analog cable connection; a video 1-4 and a dvd input, which for somme reason when hooking any componet to projects a black and white picture. the input connections for video 1-4 are composite, red, white, yellow. the dvd input connections are colored different but i dont even care about that input source. i have all my audio going straight to my reciever using composite cables, and video going straight to the tv using the yellow composite cable. i was wanting to upgrade from composite cables to some type of digital output and inputs in hopes to get better surround sound and change my video cords also, my reciever has inputs and outputs for all types of connections, but my tv doesn't have any digital inputs our outputs, only analog. SO HERE IS MY QUESTION I'VE BEEN TRYING TO GET AT; IF I UPGRADE TO DIGITAL CABLES AND HOOK VIDEO AND AUDIO TO MY RECIEVER, THEN WHEN I HOOK VIDEO TO MY TV THAT DOESN'T HAVE ANY DIGITAL INPUTS/OUTPUTS USING ANALOG CABLES WILL I DEFEAT THE PURPOSE OF THE DIGITAL CABLES FROM THE COMPONETS TO THE RECIEVER BECAUSE OF THE ANALOG CONNECTION FROM THE RECIEVER TO THE TV? am i making sense to anyone at all?

20. gear79

gear79 Guest

ok, i'll take that as a semi apology....... accepted....

first of all, does your receiver allow for upconversion?
    if not, then your basically screwed for now.
    you can buy an upconversion cable, but it still wont do you any real good... due to the fact the tv does not accept any cables like that.

all i can suggest, to get your best possible picture, use a high quality composite (video) cable... since you have no s-video or component.

as far as you sound goes, well, your onlu limited to your set up, speakers, and power output of the unit.

what AVR do you have anyway?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2006