1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Dell Is Better?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ima49311, Nov 27, 2007.

1. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

Im looking to get a new computer for work. I have to go thru DELL and am on a limited budget (~$1000). I'm basically looking at the Vostro 200, 400, and Optiplex 330. Is any one of these better than the others? I've customized them about the same way for each. But i wasnt sure about the guts of these things. Right now, im working on a Dimension 4700. Are any of these comparable? It's about 3 years old, so i think any NEW system is going to run better than what i have now, but im not sure. I do alot of graphics and video (i know these aren't the best systems for that but my 4700 has worked out ok) and i'd be upgrading the video card on my own so that will help. Thanks for the help in advance!

2. drako17

drako17 Regular member

with that kind of money to spend. i personally would recommend building your own. i have a dell 410 and if i could go back i would build my own. its alot cheaper and you know what your paying for. dell is a good brand dont get my wrong but i think you pay for the name brand. if you dont know much about building your own. ask questions here. these ppl are very helpful. any question will be answered.

3. ima49311

ima49311 Regular member

i know how to build systems... ive built all mine at home.. but that was with my money. The problem is, this is a company computer, and they want brand name/warranty/tech support(in theory) type stuff... believe me, if i could build my own, i'd do it.. so, back to my original question, is one of these better than the other? or all basically the same then? is one MORE like my current dimension 4700? here are the specs of the ones i was looking at:

well, the problem with that is, that most of the Costco systems come with Vista... I want to keep it XP Pro.. so that makes it limited wherever i shop obviously.. but here are the specs for the following systems:

Vostro 200
    Intel Core2Duo e4500 2.2ghz 2MB L2 Cache 800FSB
    2 GB 667mhz Ram
    160GB HD
    DVDRW
    19" WS

Optiplex 330
    2 GB 667mhz Ram
    160GB HD
    DVDRW
    19" WS

Vostro 400
    2 GB 667mhz Ram
    160GB HD
    DVDRW
    128 GeForce 8300GS
    19" WS

Optiplex 740
    AMD64 x2 4200+
    2 GB 667mhz Ram
    250GB HD
    DVDRW

Obviously, the last one is an AMD64 (which i have at home and love) but no monitor either. The rest SEEM to basically be the same computer. I just wasnt sure if the innards of these things were the same between each other... as far as expandability, room inside the case, Motherboard specs, etc. Is AMDx2 better than Core2Duo? In a nut shell, is Optiplex or Vostro comparable to my current Dimension 4700? or would these be a step back? should i look more at a Inspiron system? Thanks again in advance for the help.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  4. drako17

drako17 Regular member

you could try the dell outlet. they are alot cheaper. the only thing is that it wont come with a screen. you would have to get one from there too. to answer your question i would go with a vostro 400 core 2 duo. never has amd so i would know about the last one.

5. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

The Vostro 200 and 400 mini towers are the same Dell just lets you upgrade to higher processer's with the Vostro 400 but i have upgraded one of my Vostro 200's to a E6850.The "guts" of the Vostro's are comparable to the Dimension 4700 there pretty much standard m-ATX except that they have a fixed rear I/O panel were the 4700 had a removable one.The Vostro will except all the latest high end video card's.Optiplex is btx form factor not as upgradable as the Vostro's the motherboard does have 1 parallel port,1 serial port if you need that the Vostro is all USB.The Optiplex also will not except a double slot video card.Here is one of my Vostro's nothing left but the case replaced with Intel motherboard,Raptor's etc you can't do that with the BTX Dell Optiplex.

[​IMG]

6. paiger651

paiger651 Regular member

The Inspiron 530 is the same as the Vostro except for the color.The Inspiron 531 uses AMD cpu's.