1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Drive should I throw out, or keep them all?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by kesa, Apr 8, 2005.

1. kesa

kesa Member

Hi there
    Have just bought a new DVD burner and am about to install it. I already have a fairly old but good DVD player installed as well as a fast CD burner. I have a spare slot.

Question is: Do I just add it into the spare slot, or replace the DVD player with the DVD burner. I assume there's no benefit to get rid of the fast CD burner. I'm wondering though if there's ever a need when copying a DVD to read it from the other DVD drive?

Sorry, lots of questions. I mainly want to be able to play DVDs, burn back up copies of movies, make data dvds, and copy audio cds.

Hope you can help.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

If I where choosing one to get rid of it would be the CD burner as you will have no need for that anymore. You will probably want to rip your movies with the DVD ROM because it is faster and it will save on wear and tear on the DVD burner.

3. kesa

kesa Member

Thanks bbmayo. It seemed so simple at first.

The DVD player is fairly old (maybe 3/4 years) and so isn't probably very fast - can it still be 'fast' to rip.

4. Decrypto

Decrypto Member

I'd have to agree with bbmayo in getting rid of the cd burner. I'm only guessing but your dvd burner probably burns cd's too.

I always thought the DVD burner ripped movies faster, or is this not correct?

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

That is deffinatley not correct. Most burners are locked at X4 rip speed. This can be overcome by flashing a hacked firmware, but I wouldn't recommend that. The DVD ROM is always going to be faster!!

Your drive isn't that old 3/4 year it's still probably X16 speed. It's worth keeping.

If your looking for fast ripping then I would suggest the newest Lite On drives nothing rips faster and they are under $25