1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DSLR?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by iPirate, Sep 25, 2006.

1. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

Hello, I am going to get a new DSLR for action photos. mainly ringette,(Ice sport) but anyway, I need a camera under 1000 CDN that can be able to freeze and take the perfect shot. I am heavily sideing with the Canon Rebel XTi. Which is a beutiful camera, is there any other recomendations, or is the XTi good for what I want to use it for?

2. 12DVD

12DVD Member

- POST DELETED -

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  3. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

ya I scanned dpreview today, so i dont really understand the entire iso thing in camera's. is there a good place i can go to read up on it? or is the manual good to start? as like I said all my photos will be action and indoor lighting. And you said the higher ISO will benefit greatly. thanks for the help.

4. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

dont mean to double post, but i am getting a new camera within a month, so i would like some recommendations.

5. Franco45

Franco45 Guest

Get the Nikon D50. The best camera for the price. I have it and it is badass. get it on the net, you can get a good deal w/lens. Read the reviews on the camera, i havent seen a bad one yet.
    And just so you know ISO is the speed, like 200 400 800. The D50 has and auto option for ISO too, so you wont have to worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2006
  6. behrad

behrad Regular member

Without getting into the Nikon Vs. Canon debate, let me just say that both these cameras are more than capable to reproduce decent results. There in not much in between them either so the choice will largly depend on personal choice as well as the equipment that you may already own. If you have had a film SLR in the past, chances are that the lens for that camera can be used in the new digital SLR body.

Without getting too technical, ISO is a measure of how sensetive your (film in a normal 35mm camera , CMOS/CCD in a digital camera) capture device is to light. Having said that, it makes sense to say that for a low light situation, you would like to make your camera more sensetive to light (Higher ISO setting). Coupled with the fast action you are going to be facing, it makes sense that you will need a very sensetive ISO and lens combination.

Therefore, as 12DVD has mentioned, it is not the brand name on the camera body that matters, but rather it is the lens's ability to gather low light with out having to resort to a long exposure time. You dont want to rely on a long exposure time to gather light as your subject is going to be moving and you will end up with nice blurry picutres.

In short, I would go with either camera but plan on spending $$$ on a telephoto lens that can achieve a f2.8 or lower.
    good luck

Last edited: Oct 11, 2006
  7. YesYou

YesYou Regular member

I would get a good lens if you already have a camera. Since you will be shooting indoors, you have to make sure you have atleast a F2.8. Those are expensive. Maybe the XT and the 70-300mm IS is a good start for a beginner sports lens. You will surely upgrade but this is a good place to start.

8. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

Well I have already order the XT, damn cheap too(deals) well I am a Digital SLR noob i guess. So I will be having the default lens until christmas or money comes in. But, but, i have an old Minolta Telephoto lens I have a for an older Film SLR, Minolta XG-1. By any chance would any of you guys/gals know if a film SLR Telephoto lens would work on digital? I mean this thing is kind a heavy and all. So, heres its specs. Focal MC Auto Zoom 1:4.5 f = 8 0 - 2 0 0mm sorry for lack of info, but this was my moms so I just found it.
    oh it says f=200mm Macro on the lens also.

9. YesYou

YesYou Regular member

Your minolta lens will not fit on the XT.

The Nikon cameras are the only DSLR that allow the older manual lenses to be used with their DSLR. As for the Canon, you will need to buy lenses. If the XT didnt come with any, I would recommend the 35-80 for beginners. You can also look through B& H photography and see if they have some used lenses for a good price. That is always the best way to go because you are most than likely to upgrade them....

10. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

oK thanks, can you direct me to a good lens that will work with my rebel xt?

11. 12DVD

12DVD Member

- POST DELETED -

12. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

I want sports, close ups possibly, and price is a thing. around 200 CDN.

13. 12DVD

12DVD Member

- POST DELETED -

14. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

Hey Im looking at this lens.
    Canon EF 75-300mm F4-5.6 USM
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2006
  15. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

well..... my Cannon 10D has this big beauty on it:
    [​IMG]
    and this is what I took this year at Legends Field and Yankee Stadium:
    [​IMG]
    say hello to Cano!
    [​IMG]
    Jeter triples
    [​IMG]
    Tropicana Field.... taken all the way down from the foul line zooming in! not bad!

16. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

well im just getting into this, so i have to get my camera lens which i posted above bought.
    are you a pro photographer? whats you income if you mind me asking, i love photography+image editing.

17. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

I'm not a professional photographer but it's my hobby and I love it..... ohhhhhh here is my new car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. iPirate

iPirate Regular member

lol nice, heres my dog with my new Rebel XT.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  19. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

there's only one thing you should do......... resize your images so you can post online without hogging up all the space and making it difficult to view your images! I usually go down to 800x600 pixels or there abouts. use your CS2 to resize and post!

20. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

ohhhhhh nice doggie..... here's my mother's cat:
    [​IMG]
    and a nice waterfall, too:
    [​IMG]
    and bet you guys wished it was spring again:
    [​IMG]