1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which dual core will be faster

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by neptune, Feb 20, 2007.

1. neptune

neptune Regular member

i found 2 motherboards +cpu which one will be faster with say 1 gb ram .i cant make up my mind. one is 2.66ghz and other is 1.9 ghz

i would think that the 2.66 ghz would be faster but with everything changing i am not sure .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135039

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128322

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO3600IAA5DL - OEM
    or
    Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 2.66GHz LGA 775 Processor Model HH80551PE0672MN - OEM

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  2. steimy

steimy Active member

the truth is that either of those cheap combo deals will have it's problems.
    Did you read the users comments on them. The AMD had a comment about the PCI-E slot saying it was 16X but only running at 8X
    The Intel had a comment that it did not fully support the Core2Duo
    both of those would scare me away from buying them.

Personally i think if your going to build one, then save up and get something nice like:
    MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition motherboard
    Core2Duo 2.13 MHz processor (or above but you can overclock this to 2.5 per core, so 5MHz total easy)
    XFX GeForce 7600GT graphics card
    Enermax 620 watt power supply
    2GB of Crucial Technologies 667 RAM (dual channel)
    a nice Gigabyte Poseidon case
    and so on.

3. elokito

elokito Regular member

let me guess.....thats ure pc steimy right? anyways go for a intel core 2 duo

4. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

Go with the intel. If you can get one of the new Core2Duos though. If you buy a Pentium D, the moment you get it home you'll already be out of date. Obviously you're building a budget box but you don't want your board to be "low" quality. Spend an extra $40 bucks on it if you can.

5. neptune

neptune Regular member

Logik666 quote >>Spend an extra $40 bucks on it if you can.
    what motherboard can i get for $40 more that will run AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADO3600IAA5DL . i would like a board with 2 x ATA100 up to 4 Devices and also Onboard Video Chipset. found 2 of them . asus or the msi ?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130065

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131014

will i be able to hook up a regular moniter to either of these boards

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  6. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

i would say the asus as it has a much better northbridge.

7. neptune

neptune Regular member

yes thanks but will i be able to hook up a regular moniter to either of these boards

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Dual cpu/multiprocessing speed? That's an interesting subject. On first glance you would think it comes down to raw cpu cycles per second, whereas in reality more depends on how much time is spent doing the number crunching, and how much waiting for the different operations to complete.. i.e one cpu waiting for information from the other. You can't benchmark multiprocessor machines with a single threaded operating system. It's very possible that there will be no performance penalty for less cycles per second if the software is optimised for the number of processes, and things are timed to arrive just as needed (or cached leaving the cpu to get on with something else)
    As things stand most to these "dual core" systems seem to be a bit of a con. I like to set up clusters using old pentium and 486 series machines. Performance varies widely on a day by day basis. For some applications (like avi encoding) a cluster of 8 486 (40 MHz) machines will outstrip a twin 600 as long as the software is optimised for the number of processors. Most of the time there is not much performance gain over a single cpu because...lets be honest.. most software is only written for 1 processor.

9. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

thats very interesting janrocks but it seems a tad off topic.

yes both of these boards have vga and dvi outputs so you can plug them in to crt and lcd screens. good for now good for the future.

10. steimy

steimy Active member

11. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

heres another good interactive chart but it needs some of the lower end c2d chips adding to it.

12. neptune

neptune Regular member

i am not really a big gamer ! so could care less . all i really want to do is run say nero recode and be able to do other things as surf ie . someone tells me if i use task manager and set afinaty to the first core for nero and set afinity for ie to second core i will see a difference compared to my amd xp 2400 2.0 ghz /768 ram.is it if you know how to use this dual core u will be ok ? its driving me crazy one say its faster others say it almost the same as single core.

janrocks made a good point on avi encoding / my other problem!
    btw this one will have 2 gb ram

when i run vso convert to dvd cpu is at %100 and i cant do much of any thing else

will this dual core let me run vso convert to dvd and still be able to surf ie ? if so i am buying one :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007
  13. rockinpsp

rockinpsp Guest

you whould need a dual core os also, most os's like lunix can do more than one cpu.i think windows xp 64bit ed. might be able to do more than one cpu at a time.don't now about windows xp pro. and i know windows xp home can't do moore than one cpu.and any thing under windows xp.

why do you think they just came out with a new windows os.

14. dazila

dazila Regular member

Well Depends you can set it in task magaer to use say "CPU 1" Encoding will go slower as its as if you were encoding with a 2.3ghz P4 if you set it to both then it would encode faster but CPU will be at 100% another tyhing Games well most are still single core apps which means if it needs a 3ghz CPU a 3ghz pentium 4 would perform better because it would only use one of your cpu cores which are not 3ghz making the game lag.
    Operating Systems that support x64.
    Windows Professional 64bit ed
    Widnows Vista Collection (All of them)
    Linux

Think about everything I was going to buy a Core 2 Extreme 3 months ago but when a Figuured "Hey I play alot of games that need cpu's 2.8ghz+ to run smooth" I said No.
    My current specs,I reckon they are good they do everything.
    3.4ghz Cedar Mill Pentium 4 with HT
    2048MB DDR 2 PC3200
    320gb+100gb SATA HDD's 7200rpm
    2x Phillips 16x DVD+_R/RW
    5.1 Creative Soundblaster
    Ageia Physx
    5.1 Logitech Speakers.
    800W PSU
    Radeon X1900XTX 512MB.
    And with that I can run very good looking games on high like Ghost Recon Advanced warfighter,Oblivion (I hate it),Flight Simulator X.
    so you have to think about it?.