1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which DVD Burner to buy?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Toiletman, May 20, 2004.

1. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but here I go:

Now, I'm leaning towards Plextor as I hear it's the best brand for DVD Burners. All I want to do is backup at 4x speed at the max with little to no coasters.

Now here are my questions:

1. Does the brand name really matter as long as it isn't something that is unheard of or sounds dodgy? e.g. RubbishBurners Ltd.

2. What's a good price for the burners I'm looking for? I know that they aren't the newest burners...

P.S. All burners are internal

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Don't worry about the burner's speed - you're the one who controls that - you can have either an external OR internal burner, they are both the same - you just put the external one in a case -

The new one on the market comes out in mid-June think hard about it, it's a good buy -

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...VDBurn_DVDBurners&ProductSKU=DRU700A&Dept=cpu

Other wise get the Plextor -

BTW, "Coasters" are created by the operator NOT the burner.

Cheers,

Pete
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1[/small]

Last edited: May 20, 2004
  3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If you don't want to spend as much money, I'd recommend the Pioneer A07 (aka 107). It's reasonable priced and there will probably be a hacked firmware available eventually to make it write dual layer discs. For a little less money you could get a Lite-On drive, but stay away from anything older than the 811S.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: May 21, 2004
  4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Toiletmen,

UPDATE:
    I just found-out, the Dual-layered Sony fryer is out NOW, get one while it’s its out !!!

My thoughts,

I doubt that “hacked firmware” will ever make the Pioneer A07 a Dual layered writer but none the less it’s still a good burner as is the Lite-On, both around the “C” note in price. At 2 bills though (saving just a little bit longer) you’ll have the “top-of-the-line dual-layered +R burner which is back-wards compatible with most standalone players.

I have always been one for the saving just a little bit longer and getting the very best. As you can see by my sig., I’ve had this PC for almost 2 years and I’m still well above the average PC owner. I always loved having the best instead of settling for the average product and wishing all the time I’d had better :D)

Think about it, having ppl envying you or you being the one envying others :p)

Cheers,

Pete

5. vurbal

I don't disagree about buying quality whenever possible. However, I don't really know that the Sony dual layer drive will be a quality drive.

As far as the Pioneer goes, if the story about their dual layer demo using existing hardware is true that probably means somebody will hack the 107's firmware to do it. It may not be true and they may not be able to write the hack, but if I was buying a cheap drive right now that would be a consideration. Since I already have a burner I'm personally just waiting to see if it does happen. If I can get a cheap drive that can be upgraded for dual layer, I'll probably do it. As much as I wish I could afford it, I don't need bleeding edge. I can limp along on high quality but lower performance, and I'd buy another Pioneer any day.

6. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Got to say, i've got a Pioneer 107, it does everything i want it to, got no plans to upgrade until it dies !

Dene

7. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Some of us just have to have the lastest and greatest, yes me too. I bought the Sony DRU500 almost 2 years ago for $300 because it could burn + and - media and after over 400 burns its still working. Nevermind that 2 years later I can buy a faster one that does the same for a third of the price. The benefit however is to those who come later and begin looking for advice on the forum and early-bird fools often are the ones who can give it. [Oh! Scuba/] what's the going price and where are the selling?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

8. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Gentlemen,

PLEASE re-read my post -

It says,
    -

I'm not looking to "Down" the Pioneer 107, in fact I conceded that it was a good burner - I'm voicing my opinion, I would appreciate it if you would allow me the small courtesy of permitting me to have an opinion.

I shall endeavor in the future, should I see your Nics on the thread to make it point of not offering any personal thoughts in your presents -

"P"

Thanks -

9. vurbal

Pete, nothing personal was intended in my comments. I was simply giving my rationale for my thoughts on the matter since you had done the same.

10. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Your opinions are always welcome to me, Pete,( as are everyone's), as i hope mine are to everyone else.

'Each to his own'

Peace

Dene

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][/small]

11. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

If you aren't sure as to which burner to buy, consider this. The Plextor 708/712 series are in my view, the best burners available, but we are in a technology format flux that suggests, that for many a lesser priced but good quality burner is enough. I think that one can support the argument that everyone who is satisfied with their burner, regardless of price, feels comfortable enough to recommend it. That being said, the content of Scuba's information was directed to a more forward thinking crowd, whose enthusiam is sometimes affected by the synaptic responses of the human brain in an area tknown as the nucleus accumbens. It takes control of some of us and compels us to buy them because they are new, and the first, and then intense curiosity takes over and money becomes no object. There is a public benefit however, you get to come here and ask experienced yet compulsive buyers for their help when you get stuck .

What the hell am I talking about?
    _
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." Sherlock Holmes (by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, 1859-1930)[/small]

12. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

Lol, the only trouble is, tech moves far too fast for most of us to upgrade on a regular basis (if it ain't broke, don't fix it !!!!). So, all you've got to do is find a 'Happy Medium', go with it till it doesn't work anymore, cry your eyes out, get over it, buy a new one !

:)

Dene

13. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Yes safc_66, I agree, but when someone is suggesting an emerging technology I don't think that they are targeting the "play it safe crowd." There are only two kinds of products, that which is on the drawing board and that which is obsolete.

14. safc_66

safc_66 Regular member

I'm not intending this to turn out into an argument, if you have the money to spend, then upgrade as you see fit, the original post stated '4x at the max with little to no coasters'. The Pioneer 107 does this VERY well

Peace

Dene

15. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

My turn!

I've been extremely happy with my Plextor PX-708A, it allows high speed rips out of the box and burns like a dream :) Very high quality and very quiet.

That being said, if I was buying right now there are only three makes I'd look at: Plextor, Pioneer or Lite On. Nothing else.

Plextor and Pioneer are both known for performance and quality. The Lite Ons are good quality for a good price and will let you use K-Probe to very accurately test burn quality.

My .02 :)

16. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

So So true Neph. Buy what's best, or buy what's the best of the rest.

17. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Absolutely!

18. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I removed my Pioneer A-07 and installed a new Sony DRU-700A double layer burner 5 days ago.

Which drive is better?

The Sony is quieter, has a slightly faster spin up time, comes with an extra black front cover and Nero burning software. It also came with an IDE cable, extra screws and a tray ejection tool. The instruction booklet is better than most. I have burned Memorex and Ritek -R media as well as an Imation DVD -RW. I paid $216.79US including state sales tax.

It is no better than the Pioneer for burning a 4X. I have hacked firmware in my A-07 that lets me burn at 8X on 4X -R media. So it can burn faster if I need to have quick burns. The Pioneer is a solid performer and is avalible at very resonable prices.

Double layer media should go on sale in the states sometime in early June. Verbatim has it shown at their site:

http://www.verbatim.com/products/pr...pc_parent=1DC9DF5C-C0D4-4AEC-BE4352D34D71B4EB

One thing to consider is the price of DL media. It is going to be expensive for a while. It's one thing to make a coaster when the media costs $0.79US or less, quite another when it costs 5 times that amount(or more).
    You'll need to have your system well sorted and reliable before burning double layer discs. There are no DL DVD RWs avalible to practice with.

Cheers,
    Frank

19. Sophocles

Sophocles Senior member

Fastfrank could you report on any double layer burns when you begin trying them? It would be interesting to hear about media cost, burn time, playback compatibility, and coasters if any.

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  20. john179

john179 Active member

I have heard for a low cost budget drive the NEC 2500 is meant to be value for money.This burns up to 8 x speed and apparently it can now be flashed to do dual layer disc's.If this works or not when flashed i do not know.Sony and Pioneer are really reliable drives and sony has its first dual layer drive on the market now with all other manufactor's following suit shortly.