1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which dvd ripper to use

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by DYG713, Aug 24, 2003.

1. DYG713

DYG713 Member

hi i realize that this question was answered in a 2002 thread but i was wondering if there is a better dvd ripper to use than dvd decrypter. i already used it and i got a bunch of vob files that were different languages and where do i go from there to burn the vob files from my laptops hard drive to my stand alone dvd recorder? sorry for the multipart question.

2. lannigan

lannigan Regular member

Try dvd shrink. It is a great program that will shrink the whole dvd on your hard drive.
    Set your destination from the dvd disk to VIDEO_TS and than burn that folder with nero or another authoring program.

3. HomerJ

HomerJ Moderator Staff Member

There are only 2 choices, DVDDecrypter, or Smartripper.

DVDDercrypter is supported(UK Lightning), so if you have problems, you can report them on www.doom9.org

Smartripper is not supported, but is probably the easier to use.

Both are free.

You may have faulty media.

HomerJ

4. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Wouldnt you count DVD Shrink as an option. It can rip and not compress

5. HomerJ

I guess so, Although I do believ it is based on the Smartripper engine.

I have had problems with DVD Shrink in the past, so, when I use it now, I rip with Smartripper, the use DVD Shrink.

This way, I have no problems.

HomerJ

6. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

I know what you mean by problems - most likely CSS errors. however, I have not experienced this with DVD Ahrink v3.0 Beta 5 and find that it cuts down on the time needed than the Smart Ripper/DVD Decrypter >> DVD Shrink method.

7. vietorisz

vietorisz Member

Dvd shrink has a great advantage that when you are done with encoding you can view your movie to see the result. Although sometimes I get tiny little timebreaks within the movie (not with all movies) I believe DVD Shrink is among the best. Also after burning with Nero 6:) those breaks are not appearing anymore on my standalone Panasonic player. I tried several encoders but non turn out to be so efficient. Pinnacles Instant is good but does not work with encryption which doubles the work and the resulr is also a burn image which cannot be tested before burning!

8. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Record Now Deluxe by veritas is my favourite

9. hilo

hilo Member

I noticed that you are not considering some of the new "instant" rippers such as dvdregionfree and any DVD. Would you consider these programs in place of the two you mentioned?

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

To be honest, not really. I work on the principle of: 'If its not broken, dont fix it' and i am happy with DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink. That is not to say that the two you mentioned are not good, but i just have no need for them. Also, im not sure if they are free or not, and the ones mentioned are, and thats always a factor with me.

11. HomerJ

I agree with Oriphus, "If it ain't broke don't fix it.

The main 2 ripper programs have been around for a long time, (and are free)

All of a sudden there seems to be a lot of companies jumping on the bandwagon, using large parts of this free code, and charging folk.

Used in the right way, Smartripper adn DVD Decrypter do their job very well.

I'm of the old school, I like to use a "dedicated" programme for each part of the backup process :

Rip - Smartripper
    DVD2AVI - Prepare for Avisynth
    Avisynth - Script for CCE
    Re Encode - CCE
    Re Author - Spruce UP
    Burn - DVD Movie Factory

It takes a few hours to get through that lot, but the quality is first class, and it[bold] Works Everytime [/bold]

HomerJ