1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which dvd x copy is the best?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by nork, Jan 29, 2005.

1. nork

nork Member

From what i have been reading, maybe the answer is none, lol.

I just received dvd x copy express standard version. It says version 3.2.1. Does that sound about right? Reason I ask is it says v3.2.1 on the cd itself
    but i know its from 321 studios.
    The other one is one of the originals that came out a while back, dvd xcopy and its version 1.5.2.

I do know that in some cases I had to use 2 dvd-r's to copy the movie and on the new one, the dvd x copy express standard it says it only takes one for sure.

I am guessing the first one must be newer and better, but i would like to know for sure.
    Anyone have experience with both versions?
    What does the x copy express standard lack that other versions of express have?

thanks very much for the info and advice.

Also, i have read that some (most) people prefer progs like dvd decrypter and others. Please feel free to give me any advice on what progs i should consider to get started with dvd's.

All i have done so far is copy a few of my movie dvd's and I have made a ton of dvds full of music, progs,other data, etc.

If i read correctly, then Nero should copy dvd movies as well? I have nero ultra 6.6, just never tried to copy a dvd movie.
    Any info appreciated.

Thanks again.

2. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi nork, Welcome to Afterdawn. Most questions about X Copy software should be posted to the X Copy forum at the link I post here. http://dvdxcopy.afterdawn.com/

But since you asked a few other questions along with the X copy one I'll try to answer them. The Mods may still feel this needs moved to the other forum.

The last version of X Copy Express with the included ripper/decrypter was version 3.2.1. The main difference between it and older versions was it could compress a large DVD9 movie to fit a DVD5 blank disc. It also gave you the choice for movie only or complete disc copy. The problem now is that with new versions of dvd encryptions out in the last couple of months it can't decrypt the new movies without some help in the form of another decrypter working with it. A better choice would be to download DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter(both free). The 2 programs working together should crack most of the new encryptions out right now.

As to Nero:: It can't copy a dvd movie by itself because it has no way of cracking or removing the encryption. That would need to be done by one of the other programs already mentioned. Nero is a complete burning package with many good features but still can't remove encryption. As an example you could use DVD Decrypter to copy a dvd movie to your HD and then run those files through DVD Shrink or Nero Recode to get it to fit a blank dvd. So there are many ways to get the job done. Several guides off the guide tab at page top to help get things done. You just have to decide what you want to use and read the guides on how to do it. Good luck.

Jerry

3. nork

nork Member

Thanks for the info.
    I wasnt sure where to put this, read the headings and came here, guess i was wrong, sigh........

Guess i will move it but thanks for the info again and if anyone wants to add to it, feel free.

As for the 2 dvd x copy progs i have the newer one has the ripper/decrypter and i guess, from what you said, the other one isnt complete.
    thanks

4. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

The last and best one is ...DVD X COPY PLATINUM 3.8 4.0 with the ripper, preban verison. thats the one you want it will do most movies. but also use DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter..for the ones DVDX COPY wont do. Hope thats helps

5. nork

nork Member

Actually, that does help as i do have a copy of that
    DVD X COPY PLATINUM 3.8 4.0. It all over the place, lol. I forgot about it until i read your post.

6. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

It's actually 4.0.3.8

And IMO the best version for Platinum is 4.0.4.15

1) You can use 321Rip or swap bouducon.dll files to re-enable the ripper.

2) The browse button works, so you can burn video_ts files on your HD.

3) You can install VSO Inspector (free) and it will give you the latest patin coufin v1.24

7. nork

nork Member

Great advice, no doubt, but I'm sorry to say, i would need you to give me more details of what you are talking about.
    All i have ever done was burn some dvd movies using the dvd xcopy that i have and also burn some dvds in nero that were a bunch of progs, utils, mp3's, things like that.
    So the stuff you are talking about is way over my head, but i learn fast. If you can explain a bit more detail, i would likely catch on.
    thanks

8. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

there really wasn't much difference between 4.0.3.8 and v4.0.4.15RF.

Only differences was 4.0.3.8 was a ripper version and the browse button didn't work.