1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHICH DVDWRITER TO BUY? *help plz*

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by dave25, May 20, 2003.

1. dave25

dave25 Member

hi guys

i am wanting to buy a DVDwriter for my pc and need help in deciding which one to buy from UK. I dont really have a budget - just want to buy the best one . I am interested in copying dvd's etc etc and want to know is it is possible to copy a full dvd movie, and what implications are there? etc etc.

i have a pentuim 4 2hz processor. i am right in saying that it usually take hours to copy one dvd to dvd. ? is there anything else i need to know?

thanks in advance

dave

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Do you wan't a dvd burner that can also backup pc game protection? If so then consider a Lite-On or Asus m8.

Shoey :)

3. dave25

dave25 Member

hi mate
    not really interested in games. just want to rip dvd's from uk and india and backup data.

4. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 105 [X4]

I've been using a Pioneer 104 [X2]for quite a while with no problems.

If you want a multi-format burner though (DVD-R/RW & DVD+R/RW) then the obvious option would be to say the Sony 500.

There will be burners coming out soon that have X8 write capabilities http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/4094.cfm
    If you can wait that long : )-

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

6. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Nice Drive !!

People are usually a little reluctant to pay extra for stuff tho when they compare prices...do they understand certain differences (in my opinion , not until they become competent in DVD-R rip/author/burn process)
    $300 (approx) for the Lite-On , the Pioneer 105 is £200...and I haven't even bothered looking what a Sony 500 costs. So it may well depend on where in the world you are , or if you trust postal services as to what DVD Burner to get I suppose - LOL

: )

I worship my Lite-On 165H DVD-Rom , I hadn't seen such ripping speeds from my Pioneer 104 !

7. Kimml2000

Kimml2000 Member

I'm moving from the U.S. to Africa, buying US DVDs now and probably European DVDs later - totally ignorant on which burner to buy for my desktop. Can any burner copy any DVD? Considering regions/PAL/etc. etc.?

8. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Another key factor when looking for a dvd burner is how fast can the dvd burner rip a dvd movie to the hd? My Litey LTD 165H (I worship) rips dvd's on the ave. of about 11-12x speed and supports all media formats with the ch11 firmnware update. Check to see how fast the Litey, Sony ad Pioneer can rip dvd's. Maybe consider a Lite-On LTD 163/165/166 DVD-Rom in the near future for "dvd copy on the fly".

Shoey :)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com
    Main Website^ (Afterdawn)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    ------------------------------------------------
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2003
  9. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

The Pioneer A05 is a great drive to burn but not to rip. rips at 2x. so i would recommend get a pioneer 105 and a regular dvd drive to rip. thats my setup. when it comes to time.

15 min to rip
    20 min to encode with dvd2one on p4 1.5ghz
    30 min to burn at 2x

eventually it will be 15min to burn on 4x media, that stuff is just too expensive right now

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Wait till the 30th June 2003 - the Pioneer A06 is coming out and its amazing. Flash from Disq World is testing one at the min. Wow...
    It reads at 16x i think, 4x, 2x for R/RW does +/- format and is a Pioneer. it was launched at $300 so should be around £230 here.

11. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

So tha A06 is burning at 4x just like the A05, sounds like a rip off to me. better of getting a good cheap DVD drive (50$) if you have the A05 than upgrading to an A06.

12. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Myself I've been very happy with my LG 2X burner. The one thing I've found is the speed at which you can back up a DVD is much more affected by computer speed than DVD-R speed. Also, many people in this forum have indicated they only burn a 2X to ensure quality. The other consideration is the price of media. Where I live 2X media is about 1/3 the price of 4X media.

Hope that helps.

13. buicks

buicks Member

Considering there isn't an official standard format (however, it looks like DVD+R/RW is winning), it's best to get a burner than can burn both +/- formats. That's my opinion, anyway. That way, it doesn't matter what the standard turns to, you'll be able to burn in whatever format you like/need. Best Buy in my town only carries to burners that can do both formats. I chose the Sony DRU-500AX. It was about $350. Not saying its the best, but it's a factor to considering when selecting a burner. Hope this helps!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2003
  14. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

You pose a good point but Pioneer and Apple are not going to completely drop -R format even if +R sells more than they do, If they can make money they will keep on selling it and making it better.

15. ken0042

ken0042 Regular member

Buicks- just a question here. How do you figure DVD+R is winning? It's just I see it the opposite way, with most burners out there either doing both formats or -R only, the -R media being less expensive, and the big one; DVD VCR's are using DVD-R's exclusively.

I'd appreciate hearing your point of view.

16. carlitob

carlitob Regular member

yeah me too