1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which format best for USB Dvd player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by office13, Dec 10, 2009.

1. office13

office13 Member

i am looking at getting a Dvd player "Coby DVD298" and planning on hooking up my USB HD to play movies i have backed up from DVD. Rather than having all the DVDs laying around i would like to just have the USB HD. so here i have all the video files on the HD in their own folder. they are either ISO or in a video TS folder, depending on how i backed them up. so here is what i know so far.

My USB HD is externally powered.
    it will be approx 250 GB but i have others ranging from 20G-1T which i coudl also use.
    it will have to be converted to Fat32.
    now here i have heard some mixed reviews as to the maximum size that a partition can be. so what is the Max size of a Fat32.

here is my other question.
    i suspect that i will have to convert my files to some other format, other than ISO, or VOB. so given that i have a 42inch TV. it is not 1080 and less than 720, so quality is not maximized. i have numerous programs for converting, but which one is best, or does it come as personal preference. personally i would prefer the one that gives the least amount of errors, is easiest/fastest to do and compresses the best.
    any help with which format i want woudl be appreciated.

thanks
    ian
    now instead of burning them all

2. jrb19

jrb19 Member

I use a usb hd to store movies to watch on ps3 and i convert them to avi i think it is good quality and doesnt take long to convert.
    Im not sure about the size tho

I hope it helps

3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

I use a usb stick in my dvd player and all my movies are in divx.Not sure how good the quality is but all mine seem to work fine.might notice a different on a 42 inch high definition tv i've been using an old 51cm tv.

4. cyprusrom

cyprusrom Active member

@office13

There is no dilemma about the format you need to convert to- Avi(divx/xvid), that's the only one supported by your player for USB playbak. For that, I would use Autogk , free, or FairUse Wizard, free as well(you can use the ISOs to do the conversion with FairUse)

As for the quality/size, that you have to decide on your own, but if you go at or above 1GB per avi, you can't go wrong.