1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which format is best for video editing to make SVCD,

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by TXDVDfan, Jul 30, 2002.

1. TXDVDfan

TXDVDfan Member

Is it better (quality wise) to edit video in avi format or mpeg2?

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Depends. What type of editing you're doing and what is your source material?

3. TXDVDfan

TXDVDfan Member

I have mpeg2 file clips I ripped form my DVD's. (SmartRipper, DVD2AVI, TMPGEng)They look great when I play the clips in Power DVD, but when I use Power Director to add them together with transitions, it looks terrible.

4. dRD

The problem is that you re-encode the files, which is the eight deadly sin in audio/video editing. Only thing what you can do with the videos without re-encoding is to cut/join them, but you really can't add transitions or any effects to the videos without re-encoding them. So, it doesn't matter which format you use while editing, re-encoding will make the quality bad anyway.

5. TXDVDfan

TXDVDfan Member

dRD,
    I was afraid of that. Is there any other s/w you know of that allows you to edit and add effects prior to encoding to mpeg? I don't think Power Director or Video Studio will allow you to edit the files in the .vob format.

6. dRD

Make a pseudo-AVI. Install DVD2AVI, create a project file from it, use VFAPIConvertor (obviously install the VFAPI Reader Codec first) and save a pseudo-AVI. You can load this, so it comes "directly" (well, through two wrappers anyway) from the ripped DVD files to your editor.

7. TXDVDfan

TXDVDfan Member

Great, I've been reading the guide associated with VFAPIConvertor. http://www.afterdawn.com/articles/archive/dvd2divx_anamorphic.cfm
    Do I need to use CDEx as well to encode my WAV file into a WAV-wrapped MP3 file? Or does the new psuedo avi contain the audio as well as video? Sorry, just when I thought I had a handle on this...

8. dRD

Pseudo AVI doesn't contain the audio, but you don't need to encode the WAV into MP3 if you don't want to.

9. TXDVDfan

TXDVDfan Member

O.K., but how do I get the audio back in prior to the encoding process in Power Director?

10. TXDVDfan

TXDVDfan Member

Still not sure when and how to add audio in.

11. dRD

What the heck is Power Director?

12. TXDVDfan

TXDVDfan Member

It's a video editing software by Cyberlink. http://www.gocyberlink.com/english/products/product_main.jsp?ProdId=45
    They are best known for PowerDVD player. It is very similar to Ulead's VideoStudio. Both of these allow you to capture and edit video, add text, transitions, chapters, etc. Once you have created your movie, it will encode it as either mpeg-1 or mpeg-2 and then burn it to CD-R or DVD-R. I am trying to make a compilation disc. If there is other software(s) that offer these types of features that you recommend, I am certainly willing to try it. Thanks :)