1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which HDTV do I buy? Sony or Sharp

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by AngryWite, Jan 4, 2008.

1. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

I bought the Sharp LC-46D64U but thinking of returning it and getting the Sony KDL-46V2500. Which do you guys recommend??????

2. LILBUCK

LILBUCK Guest

Go with the sony It is more superior to the sharp.

3. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

what makes it more superior? is the sony an older model?

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

If your gonna spend all that money, I'd at least go with something that supports a resolution of 1920x1080. I don't think that Sony LCD outputs at that rez, just 720 I believe.

5. Skweez

Skweez Member

I bought a Samsung LNT4671... incredible television. I have to say that I thought about going Aquos, then Sony XBR, and then finally settled on the Samsung... No regrets.

6. buzzmag

buzzmag Member

I have the Sony KDL-46V2500 and it does output 1080I at 1920 x 1080 resolution.

7. funky22

funky22 Guest

go with sony or some samsung hdtv but i would go with sony becose they got the best and natural colors in their bravia line

8. talltrees

talltrees Guest

Get the Sony KDL-46V2500,it got very nice reviews:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-kdl-46v2500/4505-6482_7-31901244.html
    http://www.amazon.com/review/produc...cm_cr_acr_txt?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
    And right now the price is quite good for $1595 instead of $2000:
    http://www.dealstudio.com/searchdeals.php?deal_id=76958&ru=282

9. AngryWite

AngryWite Member

I decided to keep the Sharp despite the big Sony fan that I am. Too many reviews mentioned the "clouds" problem with the Sony. Once I hooked up DTV HD to the Sharp, it was a whole new tv.

I ordered the Sony BDP-S300 Blu-Ray player. Should be here on Thursday, can't wait.

10. Ryu77

Ryu77 Regular member

I also would like to know what makes Sony LCD TV's more superior??

After doing much research (spent many hours on the net) and looking at almost every variation at every angle and every environment in about 100 different stores... Haha! My overly procrastinated decision eventually led me to Sharp. I don't know if you are aware but Samsung use Sharp's technology inside their TV's. Sharp even sued Samsung at one stage for using some of their technology without being allowed to do so or something along that line.

My personal opinion is the three leaders in LCD TV's are Sharp, Samsung and Sony (in that order) and they all make panels with full HD 1080p (although Sharp was the first to make 1080p LCD's).

What you need to consider before you make your purchase is the specifications and the style that suits you. Things like...

Will you connect a PC? If yes, do you need HDMI, DVI or VGA? I needed DVI for my PC so I bought a Sharp Aquos because it had that (it also has 2 x HDMI terminals). Though there are DVI to HDMI cables available too.

Do you have an AV reciever? If yes, do you need an optical output for the internal HD TV tuner to deliver digital sound? I did and the Sharp also has that (I remember that was one of the main reasons that turned me away from Sony was the lack of optical output).

Just an added thought... Sharp is number one in sales of LCD TV's in Japan. I mean the Japanese are quite savvy when it comes to electronics. That is where all the good stuff comes from (before the plans are sent to China to be mass produced.... Haha! Sorry couldn't hold that one back). On that note Sharp is still 100% made in Japan, unlike Sony these days which is made in China, Malaysia etc. I am still a big Sony fan but as you can see I put in more than enough thought to make an educated decision.

Anyway, I would write out a list of everything you want in your TV and go through a checklist before you make your decision.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008