1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which IPod for my wife please?

Discussion in 'iPod discussion' started by Wyattspop, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Hi Kids,
    Would you be so kind and help a guy who's completely ignorant about Ipods select a new one for my wife? I'm a tech Geek, but not about Ipods/MP3's..The one we own is the 5th Gen/Video 30 GB model from like 2006 I think. It's starting to fail to read dial-dragging so I want to upgrade for her.
    Her usage; She primarily uses it for audiobooks, say 90% of the time. She has a new Kindle Fire HD 8.9 so that's her main video/app tool, but I don't want to buy her the cheapest model either. I know nothing about the "touch" series...what do you have? What are the better models? Oh, and GB's will matter since an audiobook has even more Gigs than a typical DVD Rip. When will they wise up and make a micro-SD port for IPods, same for Kindles. Appreciate you sharing what you like, what you don't suggest...
    Thanks Ya'll

2. Mez

Mez Active member

Well I am not a kid but I might be able to help. I would get a nano not a disked one. They last longer and have better battery life because there are no moving parts. Audio books are long but the files are relatively small. This is because it takes very little band width to faithfully reproduce a human voice. You can fit a large book (20+ hrs) on a CD (600 m ) if you burn it as an mp3 CD. To faithfully reproduce a violin that has some tones up to 20 kHz it requires 40 times the bandwith of a man's voice at 1 kHz. Video takes up even more. A regular 2+ hr movie takes up 9 gigs on a normal DVD.

Does she listen to audible? You can download then through Amazon.

I have used a 4 gig nano for as long or longer than your wife had hers. That is big enough for 20-20 hrs of music and a book or 2. I do not keep them on the ipod after I listened to them.

She should go to an Apple store and play with what is available. They do not make much anymore. Have her see what she feels comfortable using. The touch is like a smart phone without the phone. It is mostly for apps but like the iphone you can play audio or video. The kindle is a better size for that stuff especially if your eyes can see tiny videos. It is stupid to buy her something she will not use. You might check out the older models that have the old controls. They cost more but can still be purchased. Ipods have changed and I find the new ones hard to use. I will need to get over that since my 4 g is slowly dying, the controls do not always work properly. I will get 16 g.

3. Wyattspop

Wyattspop Regular member

Thanks, good advice, I'll try to find an Apple shop to let her try them out, she's not a tech person and wants the operation of playing audiobooks to be as simple as possible. I found the use of the wheel on her 5th Gen Video Ipod downright infuriating, it would never stop at the song I was trying to play, you had to have just the right "touch" to use the wheel effectively and I don't have it. I've looked at the "Touch" and the "Classic" so far since the Nano only has 16 GB which isn't enough. I appreciate your help today.

4. Mez

Mez Active member

I thought the wheel was bad till I tried other devices. I find the touch screens used in the touch and new nano to be 5-10 times harder than the wheel to use. Sansa that had better controls but changed the controls on the new models for some kind of touch device I was never able to master to play anything so it sits in a box. You have to learn how to control the speed and acceleration of your finger movements to get much use out of those.

The reason you have so much trouble is you have so much stuff on your device. Instead of thousands of tunes you have 10s of thousands of tunes.

I switch out stuff. I only keep about 100 hrs of music and 30-40 hrs of books. That is some work but then I have an easy time navigating

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  5. fasi112

fasi112 Member

Well there is no kids but i might be able to help.You can get an iPod Nano or the classic mini these are the ones only to be use for song playing and it's available in different colors.I think it's better for your wife.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

He didn't want a nano 16 g was too small. The only ipods that have more than that are the classics. Does anyone know if they got the disk life back to more than a year or 2. Apple was toying around with getting rid of the disked versions. If you get one you need to put it under warrantee since the average life is about a year.

Not many kids are AD members.

7. Mickoz74

Mickoz74 Active member

Had ipod classic 160gb slim for 3 years had to reset it once as it got stuck on play, its brilliant no complaints