1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better NTSC or PAL

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by dannyl89, Jul 10, 2005.

1. dannyl89

dannyl89 Member

I have a 37" Plasma display TV. I am currently burning DVD movies with DVD santa but when i play them on my TV it doesnt give me as good a picture as when i play it on a smaller screen in my bedroom. I read on the glossary that PAL has better resolution than NTSC and i have been burning the movies in a NTSC format. Does it matter? or is it because of the aspect ratio?

2. nownthen

nownthen Regular member

I don't know about higher resolution or not, but I do know that if your in North America or South America your tv likely doesn't support pal. PAL is the type of signal used in Europe.

3. dannyl89

dannyl89 Member

My tv does support PAL though it supports both with a aspect ratio of 16:9.

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Your Problem isn"t really due to the Video Resolution but more to do with Crappy Encodeing and the Fact you are watching them on a Big screen TV....

DVD Santa just isn"t a High Quality encoder especially if you have a Big screen TV set as the Bigger the screen the Lower the Quality(Unless it is a HDTV and you are watching HD Material)....

If you used a Proper Professinal Quality mpeg encoder you would get a Much better Quality Picture and the quality has a lot to do with the quality and resolution of your Source Files cuz if your source files are low resolution files then no matter how you encode them it will look bad on a Big screen TV set.....

Maybe Try useing Tmpgenc to convert your Files to Mpeg-2 and then use "Tmpgenc DVD author" to Put the Mpeg-2 files on to DVD?? Tmpgenc isn"t the very best encoder but it is better than most and it is easy to use and will produce MUCH better quality than DVD Santa....

Cheers

5. OneTree

OneTree Member

Is your bedroom tv a plasma or crt (tube) type?

6. dannyl89

dannyl89 Member

Its a tube type. But i think ive noticed that its easier to display a better image on a smaller screen than on a big screen plasma. But also what i dont understand is that if thats the case then how come industrial made DVD play fine on my plasma might be the way they are made.

7. Minion

Minion Senior member

The reason why a Store Bought DVD look Fine on your Big screen TV is because the Quality is just a Lot better in Retail DVD"s....

You got to realize that if you are Makeing DVD"s from Files you Downloaded off of the Net you are going to end up with a DVD that has Much Lower Quality than a Retail DVD..

This is because Most DVD Rips/Divx/XviD files you download off of the Net have a Lower resolution than a Standard DVD and since they are heavilly compressed to DivX or XviD Format Much of the Original Quality Goes out the Window and then you still have to conpress these DivX/XviD Files even more when encodeing them to Mpeg-2 DVD format and the Resolution gets resized up to Standard DVD Resolution which Means you Loose even More Quality....

Then if you use a Half assed Mpeg encoder you will loose even More Quality so in the end you end up with a DVD that is just a Shadow of the Original DVD....
    Then to even make the Quality worse again the DVD"s Pixels are being spread over a Huge area when Displayed on a Big screen TV set which means that all of the Imperfections and Artifacts in the Video Just get Amplified....

So you can see when Makeing a DVD from a Downloaded movie you take so many different Hits in Quality that you have to be Very carefull with the Software you use and to try not to compress your Video Too much and it is also a Good Idea when Picking Files to put on to DVD that you select the Ones that have the Highest resolution and Quality so you end up with the Best Quality DVD Possible and which encoder you use has a very Large effect in this Area......

I can Personally Put 2 Full Movies on a DVD when useing a High Quality encoder that Look allmost as good as the Original DVD"s when Viewed on my 27in TV Set but I use a Rather Long Drawn out Method of Makeing DVD but after many Years of doing this I have Perfected my Method so I get the Best Possible Quality based on the Quality of the Original......

Cheers

8. dannyl89

dannyl89 Member

Thanks for the information Minion. BTW is the method you described to me the one you use that result in good quality DVD's?

9. OneTree

OneTree Member

What Minion is describing is what is called concatenation. Basically is a fancy term for adding errors to errors. Concatenation increases when you transcode (change codecs) because each codec (enCOoder/DECoder)works differently and introduces different errors. To minimise concatenation you need to encoder the source at a rate at least twice the bit rate of the source material. e.g if the source DVD was encoded at 8Mbps then you should copy it at a rate of 16Mbps. If you encode at a rate of 8Mbps you'll end up with quality equivalent to approx 4Mbps.

Secondly the probable reason why your crt image looks better than the plasma is that the crt is a native interlace device (same as video) and has no fancy internal digital reprocessing e.g. 100Hz scan, line doubler etc. Plasmas are progressive scan devices so need to de-interlace the video then digirally present the result to the plasma screen - result pixelated result with DVDs recorded at a rate less than around 8Mbps. My advise is to turn off every bit of fancy processing, sharpening processors etc. and just display 'natural motion' on the plasma (if it has it).

10. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

the PAL vs NTSC debate is ages old.. Depends really on the quality of the video you are looking for. PAL is said to have higher framrate, crisper colors etc. My TV (a 35" APEX) does both PAL and NTSC so does my DVD player a Coby 515 ; auto selects best video depending on the dvd. usually stays in NTSC mode even if the dvd is PAL. So anyway..

Minion is correct about the dvd's quality being effected by the encoder used to encode the source material. Tools such as CloneDVD2.x , DVDShrink, DVDXCopy all have transcoders builtin but these transcoders are not professional grade encoders, whilst it does do a pretty good job on the quality you will notice a difference on a bigger screen higher resolution TV. Plasma and LCD especially make it noticable.

Try using a higher end better quality encoder for you dvds danny. such as TMPEGEnc (still not the best encoder out there but it can do a damned good job if you set it up right, use VideoHelp.com for tutorials and guides to do this). Canapocus ProCoder2 also a fine choice (rather pricey and kinda hard to learn). Cant forget the almighty CCE (has a trial version you can check out as well as a Basic version that does damned good encodes , than there is the Pro version but thats $2,000 USD and made for professional video editiors/encoders)

11. dannyl89

dannyl89 Member

Thanks to all of you for helping me out. I have the TMPGenc 5 in 1 version so it includes TMPGenc 2.5 and DVD authoring software also i will try to make into MPEG-2 and then burn to DVD using the authoring software. is that alright?

12. SadJoker

SadJoker Regular member

well considering that the TMPEG 5 in 1 your are referring to is probably the warezed P2P package that has been floating around , that in itself could be seen as not okay. But thats not the point here.

you can use TMEPGEnc to first encode the files which is the best option since TMPEG DVD Author is more suited for authoring dvds from already encoded files. However , DVD Author can encode files to dvd compliant files just slower and not always of the best quality.

btw, that TMPEG 5in1 (if it is the one I think it is ) is way outta date : TMPEGEnc itself is outdated there is a newer version, DVD Author is out dated too, its upto Version 1.6 something now. Outdated versions will work but the newest versions have better options IMHO

13. shiroh

shiroh Guest

pal or not it will still look crappy on your hdtv. you need HD source like 720p for it to look good.

14. dannyl89

dannyl89 Member

I was thinking of putting HD on it but they dont have enough channels to change from my DVR which i love (Sorta like Tivo) to HDTV since its only about 13 channels and it doesnt come with DVR. So i just left it alone. In the near future they should have more channels and the capability to digitally record integrated together until then i'll just tough it out. =) thanks to all you guys, i guess im just asking for too much from burned DVD's.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2005
  15. spacedust

spacedust Regular member

The simple answer to your question is NTSC. PAL=25FPS, NTSC=29.97FPS.
    Do the math. NTSC=USA, PAL=EUROPE.

For best quality input everything you can to your tv #1Componant(3 cables red,green,blue, #2 S-Video. With componant your going to see colors you never saw before .

Good Luck

Spacedust.

16. dannyl89

dannyl89 Member

I have it set like that. I have the component cable for input #2 and the S video for input 1. I still think with the HDTV it would look the best but i'm not getting that.

17. ashroy01

ashroy01 Regular member

they're pretty close, it's basically what television system you're working with.

ntsc has about %20 faster display
    pal has about %15 higher resolution

18. k0k0m0

k0k0m0 Regular member

Except Mexico, all Latin America (IIRC) uses PAL...

My TVs and DVDs both handle NTSC & PAL, so for me it's the same which system to use. But I've been told to stick with PAL because it's an easier system to use...