1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is better: OpenGL or DirectX

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by xbennyboy, Dec 11, 2003.

1. xbennyboy

xbennyboy Guest

I was just wondering whether which one was faster and which one had more capabilities.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

OpenGL wil give a lot better effects because essentially the code has to be done for every platoform it runs on (i.e., assembler type). For instance, the shadowing and lighting in Doom III is so good because (a) they know what there doing and (b) all the stuff they are doing is calibrated for each machine so it might even be that the effects engine is faster i dunnno.

With DX, its not assembler but rather and API that, provided the hardware complies with the DX standard, all the effects can be done at an optimal level. This is why it is much easier to program in DX as opposed to OpenGL (at a developer level of course, where one has to consider multiple hardware platoforms).

Since all major hardware supports both OGL and DX and both run relatively smoothly and both give awesome effects, from a consumer perspective I dont think its feasible to compare them._X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2003