1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is faster? Dsl or Cable

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Anthony7, Jan 25, 2005.

1. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

I forgot to mention that the test relies also on how bogged down your computer is at the time. On a fresh boot, it registers the full 3Mb, after being on for a week or so with something downloading, it might only register 2.2Mb. You might want to try rebooting to get a more precise clock.

2. Easycola

Easycola Regular member

Never used cable, so no comments about how those perform (as per it is so much about area / provider dependant)
    xDSL or more likely ADSL for most of us xDSL'ers been working quite nicely for me if excluding the start which was due to faulty adsl router after month of wondering from telephone company men..:)
    Currently having 2048/512 kbps ADSL, reqular "mothly" maintenance breaks excluded works like train without speed problems.
    Now about the speed, there are large differences between telephone companies and countries, but seems like most of ISP provide either 8/1 or 4/1 (Mbps) as max (note, ADSL max is 8 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up), but with rather costy price tag still. So, most of us ADSL customers are getting something less pricey from then like, 1024/512 for example.
    Now, I gather when ADSL+ / ADSL2 are coming on to suburban areas ( since ADSL2 carries its speed for rather short distances only, something like 20 Mbps at 1.5 km max approx, it's definetly not something directed used at Sahara :)) prices will drop, like happened here. My brother is paying about the same from his 8/1 ADSL+ line compared to my 2/1 ADSL line.
    Makes you wonder about miracles of suburban areas and competition sometimes....:)

3. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

just checked my speed with cable ..3.5 megabits per second..pretty good i will stick with cable guys..indiana..indianapolis area