1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is first?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tashacat, Dec 7, 2004.

1. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

Which do I use first? DVD Shrink or DVD Decrypter.
    I followed directions and used Shrink first and it read that my movie file size is 4,340. Then I opened DVD Decrypter and the file size was 8,324.
    What am I doing wrong???
    Thanks

2. Marvo

Marvo Member

I always rip with DVD Decrypter first. Then I use DVD Shrink to transcode (just the movie). Lastly, you can either burn in DVD Shrink or use Nero seperately.

3. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

Thanks Marvo
    Can I just burn directly from Shrink? Does it have a command to use in it. Also I have a Record Now burner that came with the computer.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

tashacat,
    Just print this out and folow it and you will have no problems. :)

You can go from start to finish with just 2 programs and they are DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter

Get your FREE DVD Shrink, here

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Get your FREE DVD Decrypter, here

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

[bold]You may want to print this out now so it is easier to follow[/bold]

First, you should create a folder for your DVD backup before hand. This is the place on your HD where DVD Shrink will work on your movie files and DVD Decrypter can pick them up there to burn theme to disc. Try to put it someplace where you won't forget it - i.e. C:\DVD work\movie name.

Now open up DVD Decrypter - and under "Mode", select "ISO" then "Write" - under "Source" you may leave that blank as DVD Decrypter will find the location that DVD Shrink put your ISO image in all by itself. Select your "Destination" as your Burner - and make sure that the box that says "Verify" is un-ticked (This last one will cut down on false DVD Decrypter errors). Do that now. OK, feel free to close DVD Decrypter now because when DVD Shrink is finished it will open DVD Decrypter by itself.

Now you can place your original DVD in your DVD-ROM drive and a DVD blank in your burner's drive (If you have two drives). If you only have the one drive, put your original in that drive now. When the time comes for you to put in your blank in either the drive door will open OR a message will appear. Only the very best media should be used for DVD Video backups. Remember that RW discs will probably not play in older standalone players. But I suggest that you use your RW now until you get comfortable with the backup process. That way we won't be creating any "Coasters" during our trial period.

Now, open DVD Shrink, "click" "Edit", and then "click" "Preferences" on this page we're going to select "DVD Target Size" as "Custom" and set the size between "4300MB" to "4360". We do this to make sure that we don't burn to the very edge of the disc. When using poorer quality disc we may have to go lower still as the dye toward the edge many times is uneven or absent. Then, under the "File I/O" tab "UN-tick" "Enable burning with Nero" then "click" "OK".

Now let's burn a DVD, "click' "Open Disk". We'll have to wait anywhere from 30-seconds to a minute for DVD Shrink to analyze your DVD. If you wish, we can edit your movie now. To trim some unnecessary items from your movie, you can "un-tick" some extra audio you don't want like the foreign audio streams, i.e. Director's comments. This will result in your DVD requiring less compression and therefore providing you with a better quality picture. If you would like, as I do, to get rid of all the extras and trailers thus compressing your movie as little as possible (giving you the very best quality picture), click "Re-author" then, under "Main Movie" select "Title 1" If there are additional choices, look at the time and select the title with the longest time as that is usually the main attraction. "Click" and drag the "Title 1" from the right-hand side of the screen to the left-hand side, under the "DVD Structure" (DVD) and release it there. Additional editing may be done by using the "Start" "Finish" controls to the right of the "DVD Compilation" heading on the left-hand side of the Re-author window. Now you are done editing, giving you the least compression (best quality), backup possible. Now select "Backup" to get ready to finish.

NOTE:
    If you want a "Full backup", that's everything on the original disc on your backup. We need to be sure that the "Full Disc" icon is depressed. There's no problem in doing a "Full backup" as long as we don't see any "Red" on the size bar at the top of your window. If you should see some "Red" on the size bar, simply "Un-tick" any foreign languages, Director's comments or DTS sound boxes until the "Red" disappears. Actually you can "Un-tick" those things anyway; it'll lessen the compression on your backup. (A good thing :) With no "Red" visible on the size bar we just let the "Automatic" (Default) settings alone.

Since we are editing our DVD, DO NOT TOUCH THE "FULL DISC" BUTTON. Clicking the "Full Disc" button will erase our editing work and reset DVD Shrink to do a full backup.
    It's now time to select Backup". Take just a second and under "Target Device" go to "Select backup target” once there, select "ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter".
    Now, under "Quality Settings", if it's SPEED you're after, "un-tick" the box which says, "Perform deep analysis" and "un-tick" the box for "Compress the video with high quality adaptive error compensation". This will give you an acceptable DVD backup. If it's QUALITY you're after and have some extra time to spend, "tick" Perform deep analysis before backup to improve quality" AND "tick" "Compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation." There you may adjust quality enhancements. If all the boxes are "grayed out" that's OK, it means your DVD is small enough that little will be lost from the original. Good, now click "OK." Finally, where it says "Select target image file", browse till you find your created folder for your backup, C:\DVD Work\. That's it! Click "OK”. DVD Shrink will now rip compress and burn your DVD using Decrypter. DVD Shrink will copy your work on your HD while instructing DVD Decrypter to write your DVD. You Will not have to mess with your settings again.

I highly recommend you [bold]STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER[/bold] while this process is happening to avoid ruining your hard work. When the process is complete your computer will let you know. Especially DVD Decrypter if you have your volume up :)

That’s all there is to backing up your original DVD’s (that you already own)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Marvo

Marvo Member

Yeah, you can burn directly from DVD Shrink. I think you need Nero installed though as it piggybacks off Nero to burn. In DVD Shrink, click Edit, then click Preferences. Click the File I/O tab and check "enable burning with Nero". Once you're finished transcoding, it will automatically start the burning process.

6. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

DVD Shrink will use Nero, Decrypter, and Copy2DVD

My guide just shows you how to make your DVD with 2 Free :) proggys.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

bbmayo, everything worked great except it won't play on my Panasonic DMR-E80 DVD/RW player. It works great on my computer. I burned it with my Record Now program.

I did download the Nero program but I am not sure which format to use to copy the Folder. You can use Nero for 2 weeks free and then you must purchase it.\
    Thanks a bunch.

8. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

tashcat,

Did you use a +R disk?
    Your player will only play -R disk's I know cause I have one ;-)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

Thanks for the reply.

I only use Ritek G04 1x4x DVD-R Blank Media. I don't own any + media.

10. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

11. Marvo

Marvo Member

tashacat,
    Here's one way to burn with Nero.
    In the "New Compilation" pop-up window, select DVD-Video. Click on the ISO tab. For "File Length", select max of 11=8+3 chars. For "Character Set", select ISO 9660. In "relax ISO restrictions" check Allow path depth of more than 8 dir and check Allow more than 255 chars in path.
    Click the LABEL tab and type in a name for your file (usually the movie's name). Now click the "NEW" button.
    You'll see the name created and the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS subfiles on the left. Highlight the VIDEO_TS folder by clicking on it once. Find the video_ts folder that you created in DVD Shrink in the file browser column. Open the video_ts folder and then drag and drop all the files(ifo, bup and vob) to the blank column (second from the left). that's the VIDEO_TS folder. Click the burn new compliation button (the one with the matchstick and disc). This brings you back to the new compilation window. Click on the burn button.
    Done.

12. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

Thanks everyone!
    I finally did it. I copied my DVD. I had to go back to the basics. I decrypted it with the DVD Decrypter set in the default mode, reduced the size with the DVDShrink and burned it with my Sonic Record Now program. I got a little digitizing towards the end of my movie.
    I did another movie DVD and it was Perfect!
    Thanks again!!!

13. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

bb...that is a great guide...what I do is open decryptor,,,,rip..close it...remove the disc..put in a blank...open shrink...and select my burner..and go away....it is fine..only thing is..i can only burn one copy...if u use your guide....will it automatically open decryptor to decode and rip, and keep the image on the HD so i can burn as many copies as i want?

14. jlrm365

jlrm365 Regular member

If you mean the guide that is on here, then it's good.

Check out mayo's link.

There is no better reference site, for the clear and no nonsense basics of everything you need (links, guides) to create free and great backups!

15. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

good site.....another thing.....makin a dvd label..using nero label maker...i have to "stretch" the photo that i save to print on the blank disc...comes out terrible.....anyone have a way to keep the image to print for the label perfect?

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

bklyn,
    Shrink will automatically keep the filed on your HD. You would have to set up to delete them after the burn threw Decrypter. If you havent done that then the files are still on your HD.

2nd printing your label you need a higher resolution Picture. If you are scaning the picture just up your resolution. If you dont want to bother with that check out these sites
    [bold]DVD/ CD Labels and cover’s[/bold]
    CD Covers.cc
    http://www.cdcovers.cc/

.:: DaProgger's Label & Cover Site ::.
    http://daprogger.mine.nu/

They both have a lot of labels. DaProggers is usually better quality, but if you can't find one then CD Covers will have it. If you go to DaProggers do a search for "mayo" and check some of the labels I have created :)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

WinXP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2.01GHz)
    1GB DDR 3200
    ATI All In Wonder 9600
    Burners Nec 2500A / Pioneer DVR 105

17. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

just went to daprogger...good site..thank you....by the way....you still have to rip the movie using decrypter first...right?

18. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

^^^ Not sure I understand your question totally ??

bbmayo

19. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

by the way..went do deprogger site for labels....very cool...works nicely..thank you

20. tashacat

tashacat Regular member

How can I get rid of the pixeling toward the end of the movie? The entire movie is great until I get to about the last 10 minutes and it starts showing pixals breaking up. I tried to do a custom setting in Shrink Compression to 96% but then the movie would not work in my DVD recorder.
    Any ideas.