1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which is the best Antivirus program

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by Champ2005, Jan 25, 2005.

1. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

i have NAV 2004, is it okay for me to also get AVG?

2. elliott

elliott Regular member

You should not run two antivirus programs at the same time it can cause a conflict and your system may not boot or run properly. I would also like to note that if you are running NAV 2004 they just released several patches and security fixes reported in Pcworld magazine as critical

3. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

okay thanks...
    which one of these you think i should remove.
    spybot S&D
    Ad-Aware se Personal
    Adware Away (trial version i think)
    Microsoft Antispyware

4. elliott

elliott Regular member

those are all spyware programs and are fine you could get rid of the trial version you mentioned and install spyware blaster 3.3 its free and prevents spyware from getting on your system but it doesn't scan you have all the best scanners around already on your system. I strongly recommend avg 7.0 because it really works well and is free N
    AV uses alot of system resources but just my opinion

5. guinnyss

guinnyss Guest

thanks for your great help elliott :)

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Trend Mirco PC-cillin Internet security 2005 .is the best ive every had ,got it for like 25 bucks after the rebate (thats with the disk) and the worst being Norton its totally junk and way to much money

7. wild77

wild77 Guest

I like Trend Micro's PC-cillin Internet Security 2005,I paid $40.00 at Newegg it's much better than Norton.It has also been the top rated at PC World magazine for the last 2 years.

8. rusta

rusta Member

9. geestar20

geestar20 Active member

site doesn't work or your a spamer

10. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

I would not suggest mcafee it really @#$% up my pc it took 10 minutes to start up 5 mins to get the start menu up then another 5mins for the programs menu. So i uninstalled it took about 20 minutes to get to add/remove program then about 5-10 minutes to get the list to show up and about 10 mins to get the uninstall screen up after it was uninstalled everything went back to normal.

11. thugs121

thugs121 Regular member

I like AntiVir XP http://free-av.com/ simple, easy to use, updates are very frequent, detection rate is good

The downsides are probably the GUI and the inability to scan selected areas...

I used to be a fan of AVG, but doesn't detect trojans very good...

Last edited: Jul 13, 2005
  12. gordy11

gordy11 Member

JUST A FEW LINES I HAVE TRIED MANY ANTIVIRUS PROGRAMS OVER THE YEARS
    BUT THE BEST IN MY OPINION IS ESET NOD32 CHECK IT OUT FOR A MONTH
    FREE TRIAL AND THERES A TUTORIAL ON WEB HOW TO SET IT UP JUST TYPE
    IN BROWSER NOD32 TUTORIAL.
    ITS NOT FREE BUT I THINK ITS THE BEST OUT THERE
    AVAST IS FREE BUT SLOWS DOWN COMPUTER ALOT.

GORDY11

13. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

14. DMW

DMW Regular member

Yeah I agree with gordy on NOD32, its small fast and has the best record of 100% VB Bulletin awards since release.
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml (under ESET)
    That link will also let you check out your AV and see how they do.

I have NOD32 running on my machine and AVG free on my server, also Antivir on my media PC. Antivir is good for free protection, but doesnt scan e-mails, which I do like to have done for added peace of mind.

I won't use norton for various reasons, but I understand that if something works for you, then why change.

Cheers guys.

15. tito76

tito76 Member

I've tried Avast anti-virus Program, home user edition and it's the best anbti-virus program I've used in years. It's free from Avast.com
    you get a 14 month renewable license free. In my opinion it does a better job than Norton's Anti-virus.

16. pc_theokr

pc_theokr Member

Well I have to say, I am currently using Norton System Works 2005 on my PC and I love the non-antivirus features that come with it and the internet worm protection and antivirus works fine but systemworks uses up sooo much system resources. My PC used to work really fast and when I put NSW on it takes forever just boot completely.

I use AVG free on my laptop and other PC's and laptop around the house and it is great. Fast and automatic/requested, has protected them all, has great MS-DOS support and instructions.

I have installed McAfee on a virtual PC and it appears to be okay. I also have some experience with Panda. It appears to work fine.

I've heard that BitDefender is quite good too so I'm going to try it but until then, AVG Free is good.

17. stnerb

stnerb Member

This discussion of A.V.G.vs N.A.V is quite interesting:

NAV is about 60 percent there for you. The onlything I find helpful is The Security suite that compliments it. (firewall, email, spamblocker)Those are ok. The Antivirus program? A.V.G Burys it. I will never trust Norton after Peter Norton went to the Bahamas, and Symantec took over and marketed his holy name. (Sometime around 1999)

Macafee is like always 6-2 years behind in definitions.

Here's my two cents:

I Use 5 Programs to remove virus' of machines. I do this for a living, and am in the buiz since the dawn of the virus. I have come to rely on these programs for the years of 2004-5. The Percents are posted as how often these tools are used from machine to machine with 100% cleanup.

#1 AVG Free (With Healing Capability)For 90% of all
    #2 Ad-Aware Pro for manual scans and Registry locker. (40%)
    #3 Ewido for the inbetween marketing scam software, Trojans
    and deletion of rare spawns.(30%)
    #4 Registry Mechanic (90%)/ Registry Healer (80%)for link and reference cleanup.
    #5 Micro$oft Anti$pyware for most (80%) of the spawns

This has never failed me.... yet. I revamp my virus scanners every 6-8 months. Companies Just CANT GET CONSISTENT! The market is fluxing too much

Virus Mamer

18. usrhlp

usrhlp Member

i dont want to have to overrule you all but i feel i have to.

Gordy is right. The best antivirus out there is infact NOD32. It is the only antivirus to not fail a single in the wild virus test for 7 years. It is one of only 3 companies to get 100% on 5 different vendor platforms in the last run of platform tests.

I have been testing and analysing antivirus systems since the 90s and i used to swear by norton buying the newest version every year. Then i wised up. I realised that norton was in fact a piece of corporate shit that didn't do what it said on the tin.
    I moved to Sophos and immediately removed 50 viruses off my machine. I stuck with sophos, it had the major downfall of not automatically updating so i did it by hand each month. no biggy and was great when a new release was available. I then decided to move to mcafee (owned by the same people as norton, in fact im not sure if it is developed by the same team or two teams that work in the same building) i realised that mcafee has the same issues as norton. It's crap. I moved to avast and removed a small amount of viruses from my machine. i have now been using NOD32 for about 6 months and i have to say that so far i have had no infections or anything on either the laptop nor the desktop machines, nod detects them coming down in the HTTP streams.

It has the fastest scanning engine in the world and the best database and heuristic detection. The only problems with the software are the user interaction designs. They really need to sit down and redesign the HCI.
    Anyone with any intelligence would ditch Norton and Mcafee NOW and move to NOD or something else. Do not use AVG either, i have to spend too much time removing viruses from AVG and Panda "protected" machines to ever tell people to use it.

To summarise.

NOD32 is the best antivirus out there bar none.
    Avast is Second place (as it is free).
    Sophos is third thanks to its new auto update feature.

The rest are in roughly this order.

F-secure
    Kaspersky
    norman
    Bit defender
    F-Protect
    Mcafee
    Etrust
    ahnlab
    VET
    Panda
    AVG
    Norton

Anyone who disagrees with the top three is, in short, wrong.

However the listing of the lower tier, except for the bottom three, can be rearranged as each one has its pros and cons.

19. Alien13

Alien13 Guest

yeah i agree i have kaspersky and hav never had ne truble with it :)

20. thecraigc

thecraigc Regular member

yeah, i've got to agree with nephilim on this, i also use AVG and had no problems, but i used bullguard about 1 1/2 years ago and that was good, but i need to say that NASA and IBM use mozilla's bugzilla.

!!thecraigc!!