which is the better , ext.usb 2.0 to read or to burn?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by karatone, Jun 9, 2003.

1. karatone

karatone Regular member

I've got one Usb 2.0 external case,and I'd like to know if i would get better perfomance with my dvd-rom or my DVD-R installed in the case,one drive will have to be installed directly to the motherboard sec. IDE channel. Would there be any difference in burn time? I know that usb 2.0 is supposed to transfer data faster,which is the better option here? thanks

2. commwiz

commwiz Guest

Although USB 2 and Firewire are in the order of 50x faster than USB 1, much faster than serial and parallel, still, they can't transfer as fast as on the IDE bus itself. I think you're always better off with an internal because of that for these high bandwidth applications.

3. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Without a doubt put it on the IDE channel. If you are trying to transfer at 33MB/sec, IDE will be the better option. USB 2.0 is fast, but think of it like this. Does your photos ona digi cam open quicker on a USB port or on your hard drive?

4. karatone

karatone Regular member

okay , here's the latest bug, my new DVD-r is playing the media fine, but now after spending two hours formating some home videos ,my drive won't burn them installed in the ext. case, I've heard of a bug that XP has with USB 2.0 devices,but I'm not able to update due to an early copy of XP Pro without the service pack 1,so I'm pulling all my scsi drives from my tower and making this pc all IDE devices from now on,I'm going to install my Lite-on DVD-rom and my Pioneer A05 directly to the IDE buses, maybe this way I can bypass the USB bug, at least till I have time to do a OS re-install, thanks for the tips guys,I was trying to have my pc do all of my tasks but now I see how much time the DVD process can take ,and it ties my pc up for hours,now I have the ext.case with nothing to use it for,oh well,thanks again for the tips!

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Well said m8 and this is how I would set up my rig. You should be able to find the USB 2.0 drivers at Windoze updates m8. I hope your mobo supports USB 2.0 or running a USB 2.0 card. Your hardware [bold] MUST [/bold] be USB 2.0 compliant to achieve this speed, if it isn't, then your transfer rate is USB 1.1

Shoey :)__X_X_X_X_X_[small]Certified Computer Technician
    http://www.afterdawn.com
    Main Website^ (Afterdawn)
    http://www.afterdawn.com/general/legal.cfm
    Forum Rules^
    Mobo: KT4VL MSI-6712
    CPU: AthlonXP Barton 2.5
    Ram: 512 SD-DDR (PC-2700)
    nVidia GeForce4 MX440-8x
    ATA\133 hd[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2003
  6. Oriphus