1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which laptop of these 2 should i get?

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by Tsun, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tsun

Tsun Member

I need advice if should i save for a better pc than i had planned.

This is what i had in mind:
    http://www.mycizmo.com/gallery.php?pid=189
    15,4" WSXGA HD 1680x1050
    Q9000 4 x 2,00 GHz, 6MB L2 Cache
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260M 1GB
    4GB DDRIII Memory
    250GB 2.5" Sata 7200rpm HDD

1811 €

This is what i was thinking to save for:
    http://www.mycizmo.com/gallery.php?pid=202
    17" WUXGA 1920x1200 Highline Full HD
    i7-920 4 x 2.66 GHz, 8MB Smart Cache, QPI
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280M 1GB
    6GB DDRIII Memory
    250GB 2.5" Sata 7200rpm HDD
    Extended keyboard

2661,45 €

I'll be installing windows 7 ultimate straight on it regardless of which i buy.
    I don't have a job so the income isn't very fast. I'd need to wait like extra ½ years to get the better one.
    I like the fact that the cheaper one is alot smaller, so it's easier to get from place to another. Though i will be using the power cord at all times so the power hungry i7 processor isn't a problem.

I will be gaming, drawing and possibly making music.

So the main question is:
    Is the better one worth the extra 850 euros?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  2. KillerBug

KillerBug Active member

If you goto HP.com and customize a HDX18t series laptop, you can set it up like this for $2108USD, or about 1,270 GBP, it does not have the same gaming performance as the units you listed...but it will be very close to the first one, but with a much larger screen & lower price:
    Vista Ultimate x64 with free Win7 Upgrade
    Intel Core2quad Q9000 (2.00Ghz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)
    4GB DDR3 memory
    two 320GB hard drives in RAID-0 or RAID-1 or JBOD
    1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 130M
    18.4" screen
    Blu-Ray Burner
    Webcam
    Fingerprint Reader
    Wifi with Bluttooth
    Backlit keyboard
    Long Life Battery

It is hard to say if the second one is worth the extra money, as they both seem to be terribly overpriced (thus neither is worth the money).

3. Tsun

Tsun Member

Well, if i didn't live in stupid europe and pay VAT for everything, they'd cost about 1472€ for the first and 1811€ for the second(+shipping).

What comes to the hp laptop you mentioned,
    -I got absolutely no use for more than 250gb HDD because i don't download stuff like most people do. Plus i have usb network adapter or whatever so it wouldn't work anyway.
    I also own only 2 games atm so they're not taking the space either.
    -I don't see where i would need blu-ray burner. If even reader.
    -The smaller the laptop, the better. And 18,4" doesn't sound good...
    -I'd rather not downgrade from Geforce GTX 260M
    -I need to pay in euros, since that's my currency.
    -I cant even find a way to configure a laptop in HP site..?

school in 20mins

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  4. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

I would go with the first. Its smaller, which is a plus in your case. The video card is pretty descent and given your not a hardcore gamer, it should suit you just fine, and may even be able to play your games back on the highest detail setting. The Quad core processors not as future proof, but given your needs it should do just fine if paired with a 64 bit os.

Quite frankly the first even seems a bit over kill as it doesnt sound like you need much video performance, and honestly DRR 2 RAM would get the job done just fine. I would even go as far as to say a high end dual core would get the job done.

5. Tsun

Tsun Member

Mycizmo doesn't have other options than DDRIII memory.
    I may not be a hardcore gamer but i am very willing to pay more for good graphics card because i don't like to play in low graphics.
    GTX 260M is the only option for that pc anyway.

And i want the computer to stay decent for longer than just a while, so i like the best possible options.

I was told 2.0ghz quad would in the end be better than 2.53ghz dual(which i had to decide between), because things are getting more and more compatible with quad as the time go by.

6. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

What games do you play?

As for the quad/dual thing, yes quads are becoming more main stream, but again thats not to say a dual core cant hold you over for a few years either.

What are the most common apps you run on your computer and what are the biggest memory hogs?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  7. Tsun

Tsun Member

I do quite a bit multitasking (MSN, winamp, photoshop, notepads, firefox with million tabs etc)
    Dunno what uses most memory

I play only new games like assassins creed, prototype and command & conquer 3 (no FPSs)
    i also play free MMORPGs too.

8. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

In that case,I would opt for the second. :p

If your wondering why I switched so quick, well this info would have been valuable in assessing which build was best. If you have the budget, which I assume you do, the second will offer better multi tasking abilities. The 280 will offer a bit more performance for the games, although it may not be much more then the 260. Im not to familiar with mobile gpus so sam or killer might be able to enlighten us a bit more. Keep in mind laptops arent made for gaming.

The cons of the second are, obviously, the size. Heat could be a factor as well.

Have you considered a netbook and desktop combo? Use the desk top for the heavy work like gaming, and maybe making music, and the netbook for firefox and winamp.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  9. Tsun

Tsun Member

I need to travel quite a bit and sometimes i take my computer to school to play around with on breaks, so i need a laptop that can run games and stuff. Plus i want everything to/on the same computer.

My current laptop has GeForce 8600M GS, which at first surprised me on performance(easily beat our old crappy desktop), yet is far from 260m/280M. So im quite confident i wont be needing more gaming capability anytime soon :p

And, ofcourse the second one is better, but as a student 850 euros (1200 dollars) isn't a small number :p so i'd rather save them for something else if the second laptop isn't that much better from the first one. Especially when the first one has a plus side too, the size.

10. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

Seems you pretty much have your mind made up, so whats the point in asking us? :p

TBH on the mobility end, they both look very bulky from the pictures.

11. Tsun

Tsun Member

Well, the size doesnt have that much effect on the decision, but small size is a plus.

Also the cpu attracts me alot, because 2.00ghz quad to 2.66ghz quad is a huge change.

I just feel that if i can manage with my current laptop untill i have the money for the better laptop, looking at the future it's better decision than getting the cheaper one.

But still 850€ is alot of money >_>

I guess i'll just wait untill win7 comes out and see again then.

12. Xplorer4

Xplorer4 Active member

If you wait till Win7 you will be paying more I would think. Atleast for a Win 7 laptop. Now if you get a Vista one that might be cheaper then it is now.

As for the processor, keep in mind that theres more to it then 2 GHz vs 2.66 GHz. We are also talking about 6 MB L2 cache vs 8 MB of L3 cache. Not only are you getting more cache your getting 3 levels of it compared to 2 levels.

Keep in mind, since you said it would take 1.5 years to save for the second, by then, that lap top may not be made anymore, and furthermore by then it wont cost as much. To top it off what you pay 2661,45 € or 1811 € for now wont have as much bang for the buck as a system built 1.5 years from now for the same price or close to it.