1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which LCD to buy?

Discussion in 'HDTV discussion' started by supasaint, Jan 11, 2010.

1. supasaint

supasaint Member

I'm finally ditching my old TV for a HDTV, but I reckon I need some advice to solve my confusion. Basically I'm looking at 3 40-inch tvs.

Toshiba 1080p with 50000:1 ratio, 4 hdmi and 1 usb

Samsung 1080p with 60000:1 ratio, 3 hdmi

Samsung 1080p with 80000:1, ratio, 4 hmdi and 1 usb, but 100 euro more expensive that the other two.

can anybody advise me?

2. dailun

dailun Active member

"can anybody advise me? "

Not until you can advise us on what your priorities are.

They're probably all nice TVs.

Why did you single out contrast ratio and #of HDMI/USB input ports as your comparison factors?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  3. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

i had a look at a few Lcd tvs today in the shops thinking of buying one myself.the brands i looked at were Soniq,Toshiba,Rank arena,samsung,sharp and sanyo.The rank arena tv was terrible really bad picture quality.The soniq wasnt purfect neither was the toshiba.The samsung,sharp and Sanyo all had good picture quality and the samsung LED looked really good but it would probably cost alot more.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

why should we trust you as you didn't even proved a samsung model number.

5. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

Samsung 40" LN40B550 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV

is what i just got for christmas. it is awsome. i would recomend this to anyone looking for a new hdtv.. yes its only the 60hz and not hte new fangled 120hz i just couldnt see paying the price difference in the 2 with that being the only major difference in them.

here is a link to it
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...HDTV/9230717.p?skuId=9230717&id=1218063831302

here is the comparison for the 60hz vs 120hz.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...8122908352*1218063831168*1218121946001&catId=

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  6. xSc00byx

xSc00byx Member

Product Features
    ◦Built-in HDTV tuner
    Add HD-capable antenna to receive over-the-air high-definition broadcasts, where available. Optional set-top box required for high-definition cable or satellite programming.

this is taken from your link above...

how do they make such a good job of confusing the issue?

first they say capable of recieving over the air HD broadcasts...then they say optional set top box required

so which is it mate...you own this TV...does it have Freeview HD built in or not?

7. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

yes it does. i dont have cable box hooked up to it and all the HD channels are there. instead of say channel 5 HD channel is 5-1 then 5-2 and so on. it did take about 40 mins for it to auto set itself basicly it was roaming for the HD channels... i love it.

8. dailun

dailun Active member

I have a LN46B630 and an LN46B550.

The knock on the 550 is the lack of input Ports. Though I was going to be OK until I needed 2 composite/component Ports (The series 5 only has one).

The Series 6 is our Main TV and is awesome in HD.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  9. xSc00byx

xSc00byx Member

so your tv DEFINATELY recieves HD through freeview?

im looking to buy one and im struggling about knowing which ones have this option...the descriptions are so inconclusive

10. xSc00byx

xSc00byx Member

Dear Stuart

Thank you for contacting Samsung Electronics.

Customer Reference: 2103
    Thank you for contacting us regarding your LE40B550A5W and the recent issue you have experienced.

The integrated Freeview within your television will not be able to process a HD Freeview signal, to enable this the television digitaltuner must be DVB-T2.

Currently Samsung Televisions along with all other manufacturers are only able to receive the current standard definition FREEVIEW (Digital) broadcasts on DVB-T.

The new High Definition transmissions will be broadcast on the new specification DVB-T2, these transmissions cannot be viewed on existing & current Freeview (Digital) televisions.

It is expected there will be Samsung televisions able to receive the new DVB-T2 transmissions next year.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you. If you do have any
    further queries, please donot hesitate to contact us quoting your 210-
    reference number.

KindRegards
    Amy

11. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

all i can say is MY 40in can and does get HD channels. all local channels and some none local. such as espn, which i am very happy about. some of the nick channels. i dont get all of them because i dont have the digital box to get that signal. now dont get me wrong, i dont get 200+ hd channels on this set. as for they are not free. but all of the free stuff i get.i would say i get about 30 channels

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  12. dailun

dailun Active member

Freeview and Over the Air (OTA) HD are NOT the same thing.

The Samsung (and most other HDTVs that can accept a digital antenna input) TVs in the US can receive Over the Air HD signals, which are clear QAM.

Freeview, OTOH, requires a set top box (STB) in order to decode the HD signal which uses the DVB-T2 specification. Freeview SD signals are transmitted using DVB-T, which most European sold HDTVs accept as input.

Based on my research, if you want Freeview HD without the need to purchase a STB, you're going to have to wait.

13. smacko

smacko Regular member

I'd recomend the samsung with 80,000. I have been looking at the same one and when the price drops a bit will get it. I know it has picture in picture, which i think is still cool and it has great reviews. I would recomend looking at the reviews at bestbuy.com

14. xboxdvl2

xboxdvl2 Regular member

Im in australia and we have freeview HD.does that mean if i buy a tv with a built in hd tuner i will or will not get high defination channels???
    On the othernote i had a look at 2 cheap Lcd tv todays.One was an awa and one was a Sanyo and the sanyo looked better.I hope to buy myself a new tv soon.

15. dailun

dailun Active member

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010