1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which mpeg?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by paudge, Dec 11, 2004.

1. paudge

paudge Member

Simple questions,

How do I know which version of Mpeg my video clip is? Is this also referred to as a VCD? It was captured from my Canon mini DV camcorder. I now want to put my clips onto a DVD to playback on a DVD player. What's the simplest way of doing this? I have a DVD rw.

Cheers,

Paudge

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

try gspot

3. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The file can either be a MPEG-2 (SVCD) or a MPEG-1 (VCD). If you load it with VCDGear (freeware: Video-CD, add track) and it will show the type of Video-CD you're making (only [bold]VCD[/bold] or [bold]SVCD[/bold], which lie under the 'mpeg --> cue/bin[cd image]' line, will be checked) and will tell if it's PAL or NTSC (read under Video Track Information).

4. paudge

paudge Member

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I have downloaded VCDGear, went to video-cd- add track, selected the movie clip i want, but an error occurs saying that it 'could not locate MPEG stream'

When I run Gspot, under stream type and A/V Interface it says Type; Multipart OpenDML AVI

What does this mean? Which guide should I follow?

I just want to put footage obtained from my mini DV camcorder that has also been saved onto my hard drive, on to one DVD with menu's etc.

Please help,

Cheers,

P

5. shiroh

shiroh Guest

6. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

it tells you its an AVI? if that's the case, I just don't know what to say...

7. paudge

paudge Member

Progress report:

I have downloaded a trial version of WinAVI video converter which seems pretty good and have created my files for burning to DVD.

I am using Nero Express to do the burning bit. However there is one problem that I can't seem to overcome.

When I click to add files and try to add a file that is 2.2 GB's, this causes the following error message...

'The file 'VTS_01_1.VOB' is larger than 2GB and therefore cannot be stored in an ISO file system. Please use the UDF file system to write such large files.'

Anybody know how to get around this or change to the UDF system?

Also I am thinking of purchasing the full version of WinAVI video converter for $30. Is there a better option?

Cheers,

P

8. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

WinAVI is not the best choice. I can personally say that WinAVI has given me much trouble, and that TMPGEnc XPress is much better for the price.
    If you've already got VOBs, then you can just use Nero Burning ROM for the actual burn. Just start it up, then select DVD from the drop down box in the upper left, and then DVD-Video. Then put your files in the VIDEO_TS folder. Then burn and enjoy.

9. DiamondT

DiamondT Member

Daemonzx6, he did and got this message from Nero :
    I had the same message, can anyone explain how to do the UDF thing in Nero??

10. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

First off, you have to use Nero [bold]Burning ROM[/bold] not Nero Express. Then you pick DVD, and then DVD Video. I have never received this message. Maybe because I use TMPGEnc for transcoding and then DVD lab for VOB compiling, but I can't be sure. If that doesn't work out, then I suggest you find a smarter program(s) to convert the files.

11. DiamondT

DiamondT Member

Thanks for the tip!

I was'nt aware there were two different Neros out there ( just like I was'nt aware there were 2 CDR-Wins! ( Englemann and Golden Hawk Technology ) until a couple years ago... ). I will try it out and let you know if that solves the problem..

Peace.

;)

12. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

Burning ROM and Express are both part of the packages that you download. The Burning ROM is only accessibly if you go to start->programs->nero->nero (version#)->Nero Burning ROM. It is a more manual version of Nero Express which I always use and can recommend.

13. paudge

paudge Member

Got it!

Using TMPGEnc XPress and TMPGEnc DVD author 1.6, I can now put my video files onto DVD. Thanks for everyones help.

I was using the trial version which will run out shortly so will have to buy them now. I presume that I just get a reg number when I pay the money. $110 direct from TMPGEnc for both. Is that good value? Best place to purchase them?

Cheers,

P

14. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  15. daemonzx6

daemonzx6 Regular member

I can totally agree on that because usually the case is that it really goes DVD->AVI->DVD, so obvioulsy it will lose quality through two transcodes.