1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which of these Sony Cyber-Shot cameras is better?

Discussion in 'Digital photography' started by __Ronin__, Aug 30, 2008.

1. __Ronin__

__Ronin__ Member

Hi, I'm new to AfterDawn. This is my first post, and I need some help with this issue.

I want to buy a digital camera and I have been looking around. After inspecting different types, I have come to a decision between 2 digital cameras from Sony. The Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W170 and the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-T300. I know that they both have 10 megapixels and 5 optical zoom, but I was hoping someone could tell me which one has better features and is more worth buying. I would be really grateful.

Thanks

2. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

3. Ray92

Ray92 Regular member

Thanks for your help. The websites were very good. As well as that, I have researched a bit more and I'm going to buy the DSC-W170. It takes better pictures than the DSC-T300 and it's a little bit less expensive. Also, there's a special offer from where I'm buying it. You get a free 1GB memory stick and a free case.

Thanks for your help!

4. __Ronin__

__Ronin__ Member

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  6. __Ronin__

__Ronin__ Member

Actually, this is going to be my first camera. Also, I'm new to digital photography. Which one, in your opinion, would be the best for me?

Thanks

7. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

my reply was stated in my last reply! the reason why I would pick the T300 is the MACRO range gets you closer to the subject, and you have a jumbo 3.5" LCD! I think it's worth the extra money. But you have to determine what you want. If the other camera suits your needs as a first time user.... go for the cheap with incentives! Me .... I have the Sony N2 and a Canon EOS 30D .... soon to trade up to the 50D when they come out!

8. susieqbbb

susieqbbb Guest

Ask yourself these questions.

What do i want to shoot.

Will i use that feature. ( don't pay for a feature you will never use)

Does the camera require company software in order to download images.

If you can answer these questions you can make the right choice that fits you.

In all do aspects i like the design of the sony cyber shot cameras but i have found some of them especially cheaper models of the cyber shot cameras don't work very well in low light.

So choose wisely and see pictures the camera has taken make sure you see a night shot and a day shot.

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

@susieqbbb........... I don't believe that first suggestion: What do i want to shoot! why? a photographer should be able to shoot almost anything that's out there! why limit yourself to just portraits or scenery? So I believe that if you are choosing a camera choose one that can do most anything! For a beginner.....choose a camera that you can expand with!

and......Does the camera require company software in order to download images.If you look at the camera specs you can see what kind of memory card you have to use...... this will avoid any kind of software because if your camera has a memory card you don't need any software other than Windows to choose what picture you want on your computer! Software is not a problem with MOST cameras now a days!

and to categorize that cyber shot cameras don't work well in light.... I disagree. Yes cheap cameras are cheap for a reason! but don't jumble up CYBER SHOT cameras all in one shot saying they don't work well in low light. not so true! I've taken great shots with my Sony DSC-N1 and then upgraded to N2 in low light situations. I guess this is just an opinion and everyone has them.

10. __Ronin__

__Ronin__ Member

Thanks for all your help guys. I chose the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-W170 (golden), and I went and bought it yesterday. It was $80 cheaper than the DSC-T300 and I'm very satisfied with its performance and its large range of modes and features.

Thanks

11. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

congrats on your new camera....... and most of all: shoot away!! enjoy it!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  12. susieqbbb

susieqbbb Guest

I just said to look at all of these things when purchasing a camera.

And i have a sony cyber-shot sitting in my closet in a box because the camera will not shoot inside or in the dark very well it depends on model..