1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one is better?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by drako17, Nov 11, 2007.

1. drako17

drako17 Regular member

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3301655

or

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3241559

ive cut down to these two. as im only using it while i finish building my computer. this is for a different one. i already know what motherboard to get. i just need some help with the processor. the motherboard supports both of these. im a little short of cash. i know i should go with the core 2 duo. im just making sure i get the right one. i want it to play supreme commander FA or gears of war. the p4 2.8 processor has to go.

2. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

The second one. I dont believe the first one is a Core 2 Duo, even though it is duel core, so it wont overclock as good as the second one.

Overall, the second one is better.

Btw, make sure you have a socket 775 mobo, because the older P4s are socket 478 and therefore the new processor wont fit in the older P4 board.

3. drako17

drako17 Regular member

great and yes i am getting the socket 775. well that pretty much sets everything up for next week. im placing the order. i already have a case and well since im still getting all the parts together for the new one. might as well get one up and running. thanks umm do you know alot about over clocking? im curious on how much i might be able to over clock that core 2 duo processor?

4. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Well you would need a good after market cooler for that, but my guess is that you could probably push that 2.2Ghz to around 3.2, maybe 3.4?

5. drako17

drako17 Regular member

without the aftermarket cooler? i need to know as im only using it so that the games dont lag on lan. thanks for all the support. i love this site.

6. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Oh, they wont lag, not with a C2D at 2.2Ghz they wont. My guess would be that they would only lag with a single core processor.

7. drako17

drako17 Regular member

thanks but without the aftermarket cooler. how much do you think i can over clock it? im new to over clocking.

8. Waymon3X6

Waymon3X6 Regular member

Hmm, maybe to 2.6, 2.8? It involves raising the voltage and fsb, which can be quite confusing for people who are newer to over clocking. It doesnt just happen instantly. You need to find your "max" of which you can over clock your cpu, then bring the fsb down a bit and make sure your temps are stable.

Still, I dont think you will need to over clock that 2.2Ghz C2D.