1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one should I get DVD+R, DVD-R or combo?

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by AquaFuk, Nov 26, 2003.

1. AquaFuk

AquaFuk Guest

I am getting ready to buy a DVD burner. I am unsure what the difference is between + or - R. My friend is telling me to go with +R like his, but the media for -R is so much cheaper. Can you take any DVD and put it on a + and - Dvd? Or certain DVDs can only be burned to + or -? I will be using DVD xCopy express. I am also wanting to start copying all of my old VHS tapes to DVD too. Someone told me about something called Dazzle... You being the experts, what would you recommend? Where is the best place to get the media too?
    Thank you!

2. flanman

flanman Member

I would recommend getting both + and - if possibe. the - format is still playable on a higher percentage of console DVD players. Some will argue that the + format is gaining, and it may be, but I have the Sony 500 drive that burns both,and have only used -r media, and never had problems with any of the DVD players I have tried.

3. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Buy a combo drive. I think you are going to use -R most of the time. Pioneer 106D is a good value for your money, I suggest it.

4. Matador

Matador Regular member

I will go with the dru-510a or any other similar drive.

Get one with max 4x.When 8x media takes off.4x media will be much cheaper.

5. AquaFuk

AquaFuk Guest

Thanks Fellas! Have you heard anything about the NEC combo drive? Newegg.com had the NEC Drive for 100.00, I thought that this was not bad at all for the price and it is a name brade unlike most of the others. Have you ever heard of Benq? Tigerdirect.com always has them on sale.

6. burns

burns Member

I recommend the Pioneer DVR-106. Its dual format drive is a plus for those who can't decide which format to buy. Because this is a popular and known brand, its firmware is updated right away. Infact, hack firmware 107 http://www.firmware.fr.st/ is already out there which let the drive rip and read faster.

7. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi burns,
    did you try that hack? I looked at it but the warnings scared me off. My 106 works really well, little afraid to mess with sucess!
    Frank

8. burns

burns Member

I updated to hack firmware when it came out and it installed smoothly on a USB external drive, just follow the included instruction. It used to rip at 2X now I could rip as fast as 5X. It could rip DVD in just under 20 minutes. Some have problem installing the hack firmware. One thing I know is they run the file inside the Zip program instead of extracting it first and run the file. I took the chance and it's worthwhile.

9. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

I use the hacked one also and had no problems with installation.

Well fasfrank if your drive works fine and you don't use it for ripping, do not update there is no need. Updating firmware is risky, even if you know what you are doing, there might be a black-out!!

I always say, update a firmware when you have to.

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi #afonic,
    I always have the need for speed!!!! heheheh.
    Naw I'll leave the poor thing alone, I finally put the computer case back together, Kinda had that Terminator look for a while. Things are working well! :D
    Frank

11. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Well it seems that your bike is able to help you with that "need of speed" thing! Nice one!
    Leave this DVD burner alone to do his job!!

:)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]More than 20 guides about DVD!
    Ripping, copying, shrinking, burning and authoring:
    http://www.afonic.tk
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Polarhome - Gateway to freedom:
    http://www.polarhome.com[/small]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2003