1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which OS should i get

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by skyline, Mar 26, 2007.

1. skyline

skyline Regular member

hi i am making my own computer and i was wondering which OS should i get the regular XP or the XP for system builders, and what is the difference between the 2 of them

2. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

You mean wether you should get retail or OEM ?
    I'd say OEM, saves you money, and it's unlikely you need fancy packaging and manuals, and other than the license being different, and MS not offering much support unless you pay for it, the OEM and retail are basically the same thing.

3. skyline

skyline Regular member

ya, but see i am making my own system, doesnt that mean i should buy the Windows XP for System Builders, or not necessarily

4. steimy

steimy Active member

When i built my new one i went with Windows XP Pro myself.
    Usually when Microsoft talks about a product for system builders, they are talking about people who plan to build and sell systems. Or like above it is just a regular version of XP made as a stand alone product (OEM). So i would check into that one. I think it is just Windows XP Home.

5. Halen5150

Halen5150 Regular member

Just get the OEM Version; it's not diff. than the XP they put on any retail computer----of course, except you don't get all that extra software and crap loaded on;)