1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which power source and case should I buy?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by pmaknelho, Mar 3, 2007.

1. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

So I finally decided on my parts:
    GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 Mobo

CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model CM2X1024-6400

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 Conroe 2.13GHz

EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I'm at $700 right now and want to spend as little as possible on a case/power source. I think I need at least 550 W and something that will last for my power source. I could care less on how my case looks I just want something that will fit all my current parts and enough room for future expansion if needed. I've never done this before, so please try to be specific on parts. Thanks for the advice.

BTW- Will all the parts I picked work well with each other???

2. marsey99

marsey99 Regular member

cases are personal, as its you that will have to look at it not me.

what ever you do dont try to save some money on a psu as it will only cost you more in the long run. buy one from a big brand name.

you want to think about, not only what you have installed now, but also what you might add to it in a few weeks. like a better sound card, more hard drives a newwer graphics card and so on.

something else to consider.

ati are about to release there newest cards, nvidia will also have some more out to counter ati's. with all these newwer dx10 cards on the horizon, and the current cards prices will no doubt fall, is it the best time to buy a graphics card? can you wait 6 or so weeks till the new ones come out?

3. pmaknelho

pmaknelho Regular member

My video card will be mainly used to play HD movie files on my projector. My computer now is 8-9 years old and I fried my psu for the 2nd time last weekend, so I really need I new computer and $100 for the Geforce 7600GT seems fair and should accomindate my needs. right???

someone recommended a hiper 580W, but they make like 5 different ones.

I don't know what the brand names are. A specific, quality, cost effective psu would be a big help. I dont plan on overclocking, since I have no idea how to do it, and I've heard you're more likely to damage parts.

Thank you!!!!!

EDIT- fine f**k it. The more I read about psu the more important it sounds to be(since I've cooked 2 of them) and my wife just told me to get whatever I want-WOO-HOOOOOOO. So I think this will fit my needs HIPER HPU-4B580-MS ATX12V v2.2 580W Power Supply 100 - 120V??? and since I'm spending all this money I figure I might as well splurge a little on a nice case. Now I need your help picking a case. I was thinking something clear to show off the blue LEDs. Thanks again and try to be specific to my needs.

Its funny how things change when youre spouse says "buy whatever you want"-LOL

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  4. 88Camaro

88Camaro Member

The Hiper Type R (580W) is rated as a very good PS...The Antec True Control (550W) is also another one i would consider...

5. steimy

steimy Active member

i have had great luck with my Enermax liberty 620W PSU
    And i bought a Gigabyte Poseidon case as it looks nice, has no front door that a lot of them have (but i hate them, why have to open a door to get to your drives every time?) and it has a nice tool-less design for easy install of drives.

But cases are really all up to you. You have to like the way it looks, and have the space inside to do what you want. I am only sorry that i did not buy a server tower as i have run out of spaces for internal hard drives (i have 4 in there now)

6. Estuansis

Estuansis Active member

Well for a case I'd recommend a Sunbeam Silent Storm. They come stock with three(count 'em, 1,2,3) 120mm fans. And they have a nice big side window for viewing your parts and mounting cold cathodes and whatnot. I use one myself and I'll never get rid of it.

And I also recommend the Enermax Liberty 620W. Excellent PSU but a little expensive. If you can't swing it get the 500W model. All three versions of the Liberty come SLI certified(400W, 500W, 620W).

But the Hiper 580W is also very good and there are several people on this site who'll swear by it.