1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Which program do you want to open this with"? virus

Discussion in 'Windows - Virus and spyware problems' started by djcb, Jun 2, 2008.

1. djcb

djcb Member

hey guys i recently got that virus where when you double click on a drive in your computer, it asks you which program you would like to open it with. Luckily it was only on my usb and my anti virus trend micro 2008 stopped it reaching the c drive. I just simply formatted the usb but I'm just wondering if it was to get on my c drive is there a way to get rid of it without formatting?

2. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Check it out -> HERE!

2OG

3. cdavfrew

cdavfrew Regular member

Hey djcb!

If you want to know what and how that happens, you will have to understand the autorun features of windows.

You see, if there is such a file as autorun.inf in the beginning of the drive, inside it can be put instructions as to what program or dll file will be loaded when the usb drive is plugged into your computer. In your case, apparently the autorun malware you had contained a programming language which your computer did not support; either that, or the malware just got messed up. Anyways, it asks you which program you would like to open it with because it cannot open the file the autorun.inf instructions are pointing to, and so it asks you that question.

If it did get on your C: drive, most normally in such autorun cases, a boot into safe mode and then a scan of your computer with the current antivirus which you have should be enough. After that, the autorun.inf file should be deleted from the beginning of each drive. Then a reboot is all which is needed to make your system as good as new. Flash Disinfector, which 2oldGeek talks about, does this very thing. It removes the autorun.inf file and the malware file which the autorun.inf file points to (please note that it doesn't read the autorun.inf file and then removes the file being referenced. All it does is remove known malware files.). Such a tool is also very helpful.

However, the only flaw with Flash Disinfector is its inability to remove all such malware files from deep inside the hard drives as well. You see, some malware don't only sit on the beginning of the drive and run from there; most autorun malware copy themselves to the system32 or other similar folders of the hard drive. That is why Flash Disinfector does not always fix the autorun issue. My instructions to boot into safe mode and such should remove such autorun malware.

Best Regards :D

PS: sorry if I seemed like I lectured a lot. Didn't mean to! :)

4. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

cdavfrew,

It's too late in the game for an old fart like me to give THAT much info. LOL

2OG

5. cdavfrew

cdavfrew Regular member

Haha 2old. Whoever said you were an old fart? Don't you know that wine gets better with age and that cheese gets riper with time?

And how do you know that I ain't old too? :D

6. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Too dam much energy, this early… proly 40 at the most.

2OG

7. djcb

djcb Member

hey guys thanks for all the help and info :]

8. cdavfrew

cdavfrew Regular member

You're welcome, djcb.

And yes, you're both right and wrong, 2old. I am young, but not 40. In fact, I'm under 20 :D

9. 2oldGeek

2oldGeek Active member

Like cdavfrew said, djcb, you’re very welcome and I hope the info helped with your problem.

cadavfrew,

This means anything up to and including………… LOL

Sage wisdom comes with age, good judgment comes with experience and experience comes from a lot of Bad judgment…..

Read my Signature. A great quote from Will Rogers in the 1930’s.

At my age everything just dries up or leaks……. LOL

2OG