1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which Program is betterConfusion

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by gerard514, Feb 3, 2005.

1. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

Ok, so i have a big confusion about a couple of programs and will start out with dvd shrink and decryptor. Its seems like decryptor is only for copy movies to your hard disk and im guessing you will be able to burn it to a dvd later, however doesnt dvd shrink do this to by changing the target field in which where you want the movie to go. I have been using dvd shrink and i am pretty satisfied of it. I like to backup the whole dvds to. Now would clonedvd be anybetter than dvd shrink, and would intervideo dvd2 (i believe) be any better than any of the programs listed or is it just as good. Also the program anydvd ive had that installed and running on my computer would i need that to successfully use dvdshrink? or intervideo? or clonedvd?

Thank you for the help

2. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

dvd shrink = rips / compresses / re-authors / and burns (via nero or dvd decryptor) you must set that, and also the output format - files (nero) or iso (decrytor)

now dvd decrytor is the best ripper out the 2 and also to note new protections are coming in to play shrink cant copy and sometime nor can decrytor so run anydvd in the background as an added touch!

3. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

1))))
    so dvd decryptor is better than the nero program? Dvd decryptor will burn the movie to a dvd -r also right?
    And will the iso format get burned to the disk creating a different format or is it still in the dvd format.

2)))))
    Another question would be if intervideo dvd2 has better results than dvd shrink. SOme have said you get better picture quality with more features.

3)))
    If i would like to burn to a dual layer dvd (which i think they call it dvd-9)<correct me if i am wrong> will dvd shrink do this. Because i know someone had said intervideo dvd2 will do this.

Thank you for you help I appreciate it.

4. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

1))))
    so dvd decryptor is better than the Nero program? Dvd decryptor will burn the movie to a dvd -r also right?
    And will the iso format get burned to the disk creating a different format or is it still in the dvd format.

Nero is good at alot of other stuff! decrytor is probably the best ripper going! rips the encrytiuon out and places files to your hard drive, ready to play with! but decrytor cant compress or re-author! it can burn iso format files! what dvd shrink makes, if you set shrink! and set it to burn with decrytor too!

decrptor makes the sames files as whats on an original but takes out copy protection and region coding...

2)))))
    Another question would be if intervideo dvd2 has better results than DVD Shrink. SOme have said you get better picture quality with more features.

it may be but i have never used it? i only keep main movie! as most of the time main movie nowadays can be 5/6/7 gig! and compressing it in shrink to fit a dvd5 size on a full copy could make bad video but on main movie i found its good!

3)))
    If i would like to burn to a dual layer dvd (which i think they call it dvd-9)<correct me if i am wrong> will DVD Shrink do this. Because i know someone had said intervideo dvd2 will do this.

dvd9 = dual layer

dvd9
    rip with dvd decrytor and create an MDS file too! as this file you must load (burning) as it knows the dual layer breaks! (not treid a dvd9 but the above is right!)

(if ripping main movie only from dvd9 then dont bother with a MDS file) use shrink from the files dvd decryptor gave you

no need to compress just burn a dvd9 dual layer place the files in nero i would say on DVD-Video link, place all files in the folder VIDEO_TS

========================
    also on new out protections like the film RAY / FORGOTTEN / LITTLE BLACK BOOK / THE GRUDGE dvd decrytptor may ripp ok? but if not keep anyDVD running in the background system tray! should be ok then?
    ========================

dvd shrink links to NERO or DVD decrytptor for burning - you set it in shrink!

hope it helps?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  5. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

update

dvd9 to dvd9 dual layer 1:1 copy

Remove all discs from drives.

Open DVD Decrypter.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Read'.

Put DVD-9 disc in drive.

Take note of the 'Destination' file name.

Click the big 'Decrypt' button.

Take the DVD-9 disc out of the drive.

From the 'Mode' menu, select 'ISO' -> 'Write'.

Put a blank double layer disc in your DVD Writer.

Click the little folder icon - 'Browse for source file' - and select the MDS file created for you as part of the steps above.

Click the big 'Write' button.

Finished!

now if you need to rip out main movie only use dvd decryptor on file mode! then re-author in dvd shrink!

6. bklyn1028

bklyn1028 Regular member

rotary,,,,,i have decrypter....and shrink....are you saying it is insurance to have anydvd also???...is anydvd necessary?....will anydvd decrypt what decrypter won't??

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi there

some people say they can rip new films ok and some dont! but the ones who dont have loaded anyDVD and it runns in the background! from system tray and dvd decryptor should rip! its the best bet i think? i think clonedvd will rip with it there too?

try decryptor if it works good! if it dont try anydvd running behind!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2005
  8. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

yes that all does help i have an advantage of having an external burner so i put the orig, movie in my laptop and burn with an external drive. Mainmovie if that is a program you are talking about does that movie off better picture quality when compressing than dvd shrink. For now i have to compress all the films to dvd-r (i think also called dvd5) because as everyone knows the price of dual layers disc.

Thanks for your help.

9. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

sorry but also what is the difference in between iso and mds i never worked with these files before.
    Another question is what method of programs do you use, how do you burn it and what type of blank media do you use. I think i have found maxel dvd-r 8x to work for me, although my burner is an 8x to i slow it down to a 4x is this ok to help minimize problems or would it cause problems because my burner cant support 4x.

I have tried many different types of media esp. memorex which i learned from my mistakes. Im trying to get as much info as possible because i have spent alot of money within blank medias that dont work and programs that picture quality truly didnt look nice(dvdxcopy platinum).

What type of media would you recommend?

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

MDS is a file of text it keeps the structure of a dual layer type dics and has other use too! if the dual layer has a layer break in? then it knows how to deal with the layer break in a dvd 1 to 1 copy! that is the app dvd decrpypter

ISO is an image file that alot of apps can use to burn its one easy to use file of sorts... dvd shrink can open these! dvd decrypter can burn them an make them...

i use ritek go5 8x on a 4x burner!

i used ridisc / rivision / ANV - all ritek dye go4 or go5

i use dvd decrypter to rip and dvd shrink to compress or re-author etc...

and dvd decrypter to burn iso!

if i mkae files of bup/ifo/vobs i use nero on ADD-Video tab...

i would never use dvdxcopy apps!!!!!!!!!!! sucks!

only buy from garanteed ritek dealers!!! alot of rip offs! ebay and other sites!

11. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

1)))
    would anyone here recommend using clone dvd over dvd shrink?

2)))
    would anyone here recommend using clone dvd over dvd decrptor?

3)))
    And finally would anyone pay and use intervideo dvd2 over any of these programs.

I am tryin to base everything over quality rather than speed also i rather have good quality backups. So in terms of these programs which would most likely give me the best quality.

Thanks to all for the help.

12. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Never used Clone DVD, but I get perfect quality backups from DVD Shrink, even when compressing down to 50%. Just change the quality settings to Sharp (I prefer sharp over smooth, most others prefer smooth over sharp) and comes out great. It's also free, which is a big factor when I decide what to use.

13. gerard514

gerard514 Regular member

what is the difference in between sharp over smooth and vice-versa

14. squizzle

squizzle Active member

The way it compresses. It was explained in another thread, but I can't remember exactly what was said about it. I would suggest try both methods and find out which one you prefer. That's really all it is, personal preference.