1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which router would you recommend for me?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ha9981, Oct 22, 2007.

1. ha9981

ha9981 Regular member

Im looking for a good one with both distance and speed. My house isn't particularly big.

Second I want it to be good quality and stable. Even though linksys (WRK54G)should be strong and stable mine is giving every pc problems as it disconnects quite frequently. So i don't really feel like going for linksys but still if u think thats the one plz let me know.

Also no wireless N's as i heard they aren't so good and none of my pc's have wireless N support.

edit: o yeah it has to be wireless! and i wouldn't mind if it was xbox 360 compatible.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  2. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Last edited: Oct 29, 2007
  3. Zer0ink

Zer0ink Regular member

I use D-Link DI-524.

54 MB / sec , it's all they put in laptops anyways.

tried 108 mb / sec once but the 54's did too much negotiating. I could notice the multiple seconds longer that it took to give me a page.

Only time that i would use faster than a 54mb/sec is if i had the recommend PCI card for that Router. Negotiating happened between different brands even when they were both 108's.

found the D-Link DI-524 good equipment

4. pacman33

pacman33 Guest

d-link is nice, but I've had problems with them. To be honest I wouldn't use them after having to wire my brother-in-laws house with a d-link router. I would say go with something cisco certified. Linksys is what I use, and I've never had a problem. If your looking for speed and distance then go with the Linksys WRT54GX its it might be costly between 70 to 180, I run mine at 54 MBS with both pc and xbox, And its compatible with more then just linksys stuff. where as when i was setting up my Brothers house I could only use D-link stuff. It may be the same speed as that d-link, but its distance and strength is great. I have 100% coverage in my house and I transmit to my shop outside, more then 80 feet away, through all my house walls/insulation, and into my shop, which is insulated as well.
    In the end its all personal taste.
    Here are some reviews for the linksys router.

price grabber reviews
    Newegg reviews

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

That router lasted me about 3 years before it needed to be replaced from low signal problems.