1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which set up will give me the best results

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by steimy, Apr 4, 2006.

1. steimy

steimy Active member

Right now i have the DVD player set up like this.
    RF cable from Tivo to DVD Player
    then RF cable out to TV

Would it be better to leave it like this, or use a component cable from DVD Player out to the TV?

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

everything is better than RF, so use component or S video for your picture.

What is your sound setup? (hookup on that makes a difference also)

3. diabolos

diabolos Guest

What equipment do you have? What connection options do you have?

Ced

4. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Since you didn't specify what things are what, I will assume you don't have a cable or a satalight box and that the DVD player is a DVD recorder (not a Combo DVD/VHS player).

Since it seems you have a DVD recorder the best way would be...

O) Buy a good 2-Way splitter, then run the cable (RF Coax) from the Wall or Antenna to the splitter then from output #1 (RF) to your Tivo and output #2 (RF) to the TV.

1) Go out from Tivo (Series 2) to the DVD recorder via S-Video or Composite Video (Yellow RCA cable).

2) Go out from the Tivo to the TV via S-Video or Composite Video

3) Go from the DVD recorder to the TV with S-Video or Component Video (Red, Blue, and Green RCA cables).

The splitter step (step 'O') is optional but I recommend using the splitter because it allows the use of both tuners meaning that someone doesn't have to watch what is recording if they don't want to.

Don't forget to run audio cables too!
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2006
  5. milfhuntr

milfhuntr Member

or better yet use the splitter idea but instead run everything through a home theatre receiver 5.1 or better that has multiple sources and connect them all through there using the proper cables and add components as desired. I currently run a Marantz with DVD a DVD recorder a digital cable box a satellite receiver 2 vcrs my dv camcorder and game consoles x-box ps2 and cube all through the same unit with a switcher just for the consoles. I still have 2 inputs on the receiver 1 in front and one in back.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Why do you have 2 VCRs when you have a DVD recorder? Just askin cuz I think the anser will be intresting :)

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2006
  7. milfhuntr

milfhuntr Member

well I have one VCR that is a 6 head professional VHS Toshiba unit and I also have a JVC that plays S-VHS. The S-VHS is ok for that purpose but normal VHS the Toshiba delivers a much better picture not to mention the advantage of the flying erase head so I end up with clean clear pauses for editing purposes if I do transfers to DVD.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I knew the answer would be intresting! So S-VHS and VHS that makes more sense.

Thankz for humoring me,
    Ced