1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which title to use for movie source code

Discussion in 'Blu-ray' started by dmartin11, Jul 26, 2011.

1. dmartin11

dmartin11 Member

Im not sure which title to use to rip the movie source code on blu ray. Dvdfab pulls up several titles and I want to make sure that I rip the correct one. Help please. Thanks!

2. picka3825

picka3825 Member

I think it's 00743.mpls

3. dmartin11

dmartin11 Member

4. picka3825

picka3825 Member

5. daaavey

daaavey Member

6. daaavey

daaavey Member

Can someone with a Blu-ray player (I can't play blu-rays on my computer, I can only RIP them) at least confirm the exact length (to the second) of the title track of "Source Code"? That would narrow it down a LOT!

7. picka3825

picka3825 Member

It is 00743.mpls.
    If your BD player can't play the disc this is how I confirmed it.
    Open the source code folder C:\SOURCE_CODE\BDMV\STREAM and play the .m2ts files in order of eac3to. For example 00131.mpls has (147+3+145+141+137+144+142+4).m2ts files but, 145 and 137 are the same files.

8. daaavey

daaavey Member

Yes, that's it! I have confirmed that .00743.mpls IS the correct playlist for the title movie of Source Code! Thanks for your help picka3825!

As for the subtitle tracks, the first English track seems to be the correct one. As for the Spanish, I am not sure yet which one is correct and/or complete... (There are dozens of bogus subtitle tracks)

9. daaavey

daaavey Member

BTW, to anyone else trying this, you also have to discard the first video track, which is only 480p, and use the 2nd one instead (which is 1080p). After I used TSmuxer to join the m2ts files from the .00743 playlist in the correct order, and removed the 1st video track, I was able to get a clean HD RIP of the movie, using Handbrake.

Personally, I used BDInfo to find the playlist order and track info, instead of eac3to.

10. daaavey

daaavey Member

It appears that the very 1st English and Spanish subtitles that show up in the list are the correct ones. (after you join the m2ts files into the correct order in TSmuxer, as indicated by playlist .00743.mpls)

English and Spanish are the only subtitles offered on this Blu-ray.

I use TSmuxer to extract the subtitles, then BDsup2sub to convert them into idx/sub files, and then after I finish RIPing the title movie to MKV format using Handbrake, I merge the subtitle tracks with the movie using MKVmerge GUI. (Part of the MKVtoolnix suite).

IMPORTANT, you MUST manually turn off the "Default" flag on all of the subtitle tracks that you add in MKVmerge, or the subtitles will be turned on by default when you play the movie.

(I always include the English subtitle track in case my Dad wants to watch the movie with me, as he is hard of hearing, but I always turn the default flag to "off", as when he isn't around, I prefer to leave the subtitles off)

By default, every subtitle track you add in MKVmerge will have the default flag turned on. If you add multiple subtitle tracks, and leave all of them ON, the VLC Player will automatically display the first one it comes to in the list that has the flag turned on.

11. picka3825

picka3825 Member

daaavey thanks for all your information but, I didn't have to discard any files like I described previously.( First track you advised to omit I confirmed that the frame width 1920 and frame height 1080.)
    Yes I also always include En sub all the time.
    Some movies sounds like they're mumbling and for some reason you can't hear when they whisper.
    However I do not convert to mkv or any other type of formats I'm just happy with .iso image.:)

12. daaavey

daaavey Member

Discarding the 1st video track is only necessary if you plan to RIP to MKV or M4V. ISOs are too big to keep on my hard drive for very long. I always RIP everything to 1280x720p MKV files that are usually about 4GB each, provide almost the same quality of viewing, and are more practical for storage. I watch all my movies on my 27" iMac, and 720p looks almost as good as the original. My entire video library fits onto a single 3TB drive, and can be played on demand. I have my movie drive shared over the wifi network to the other computers in my house, some of which are connected to TVs, and they can all play any movie in my library, on demand! At that bitrate (5000Kbps), Wireless-N has enough bandwidth so that there are no hesitations, skips or freezes during playback! Try doing that with an ISO file!

13. picka3825

picka3825 Member

You sounded like offended by what I said.
    I have absolutely no intention of that. As a matter of fact I love your enthusiasm and if I did I deeply apologize.
    I would never say anything about people trying to help another.
    Cheers

14. daaavey

daaavey Member

I was not offended in the slightest! I have no idea why you thought that! I was merely bragging about the sweet configuration I have finally figured out how to set up. It took a long time to figure out how to do all this stuff, so I always try to be verbose when explaining my process in the hopes that it will make things easier for someone who reads this forum to be able to learn how to do all of this themselves. If ISOs work for you, then that is great (I also convert to ISO before I RIP so that I don't have to tax my BDR drive.). Not only was I not offended, I am extremely grateful to you for identifying the correct playlist on the Source Code Blu-ray, which is the most difficult Blu-ray to encode that I have encountered thus far. You potentially saves me DAYS of process of elimination work trying to find the correct playlist!

15. picka3825

picka3825 Member

I'm glad that I saved days of your time.
    I usually get informations from the web people who are sparing their times help another or bragging:) their achievement. Either way I'm thankful to them. So, I decided to do my share of sharing with others when I saw this forum was empty and I had an answer.
    However can I ask you why do you have go through all that when there is less steps and faster ways to do it. I actually did try once or twice to convert to other formats but it wasn't just my taste. I have no problem playing iso image anywhere in my house and I like the picture quality. I have a monster system. Well now I'm bragging.

16. daaavey

daaavey Member

The main reason is that It would take too much disk space to store a lot of 20-50gb ISO files. Also, most of my computers are not powerful enough to handle playback of uncompressed Blue-ray ISOs over my wifi network.

17. picka3825

picka3825 Member

I think you are very resourceful and have more knowledge then I have.
    I fix computers and building them for a living but I learn everyday weather while doing my job or reading forums or whatever and I'm all for learning new things and open to it.
    For that reason I'd like to know how you do it the way you do it.
    If you don't mind show me how you do it step by step I'd be appreciated.
    Only if you are up for it. Kudos for you.

18. daaavey

daaavey Member

Step 1. I use AnyDVD HD to "Rip to image" by right clicking on the Slyfox icon in the tray

Step 2. I examine the contents of the BDMV\STREAM folder, and sort by size. If there is one HUGE file, and the rest are much smaller (less than a GB), then chances are, this is my title track, and I can skip to Step 5. If there several files that are larger than 1GB, but smaller than 10GB each, this usually means they have split up the title track into multiple .m2ts files, and they will need to be joined into one file, in the correct order, before I can proceed.

Step 3. Using BDinfo, I can see what playlists (.mpls files) are on the disk, by order of size. Usually, the largest one is the correct one. If there are 2 (or more) very large .mpls files, this usually means that 2 versions of the film exist. (For example, a theatrical release and an extended cut). The easiest way to determine which is which is by googling to see how long the extended cut is and how long the theatrical release is (for example). Those numbers should correlate with the length of the 2 largest playlists, and allow you to deduce which is which.

Step 4. Using TSmuxer, I join the .m2ts files indicated in the .mpls playlist (shown in BDinfo) that contains the title track I want to use. You do this by ADDing the first one in the list and then JOINing the rest of the .m2ts files to it, in the correct order, as indicated by the playlist. After that, I identify which video, audio, and subtitle tracks that I want, and then I create a new .m2ts file that contains all the joined files together into one file.

Step 5. Using Handbrake, I choose the .m2ts file that contains the movie I want to RIP as my SOURCE, then I click on the HIGH PROFILE preset in the right pull out tab to automatically set all the advanced settings to the highest quality (slowest encoding) method possible. Using Picture Settings I set the anamorphic distortion to "None", make sure that "Keep Aspect Ratio" is ON, then I reduce the horizontal resolution to 1280 pixels. The Vertical resolution with automatically adjust itself to the correct setting. (If the film is a true full HDTV screen 16:9 ratio, then the vertical resolution will automatically be set to 720p. If the film is wider than 16:9, then the vertical resolution will be smaller than 720p, but it will still technically be considered 720p. The 1280 is the number that usually never changes (unless it is a 4:3 aspect ratio film, in which case you want to set the vertical setting to 720p, and let the horizontal resolution set itself.) Personally, I RIP the video for all my Blu-rays at 5000Kbps which has always done a great job, and I encode in 2 passes, with a turbo first pass. Leave the frame-rate alone. Under the audio tab, I turn off the second track (that is created when you select the HIGH PROFILE preset), and I change the mixdown to "Stereo" at 160Kbps. NOTE: If you choose to RIP a movie at 1920x1080 instead of 1280x720, you will NEED to increase the video bit-rate to at least 10,000Kbps.

Step 6. While my movie is RIPing to an MKV file, I open the same .m2ts file in TSmuxer again, and I select all of the subtitle (PGS) files I want to use. I deselect all the video, audio, and unwanted subtitle tracks. Then I click on DEMUX, and select my destination directory. (I put demux the subtitle (.sup) files into the same folder where I am RIPing the movie)

Step 7. I then CONVERT all the .sup files to .idx/.sub files using BDsup2sub, and reduce the resolution to 1280x720. (Bilinear looks best)

Step 8. After Handbrake has finished RIPing the movie into an MKV file, I use MKVmerge to combine the idx (subtitle) files with the MKV file. This creates a new MKV that contains all the subtitle tracks WITHOUT re-RIPing the video. It only takes a 10 minutes or so to merge all the files into a new MKV file. NOTE, by default, the "default flag" will be turned ON when you add each subtitle in MKVmerge. Unless you want the subtitles to automatically come up when you play the movie in the VLC player, you must turn OFF the default flags for each subtitle you add. Subtitles can always be turned on later at the viewers choice by selecting the subtitle you want under the VIDEO\SUBTITLES menu in the VLC Player.

DONE!

Incidentally, supposedly, in the future, Handbrake will eventually convert Blu-ray subtitles FOR YOU, as you RIP the .m2ts and then automatically add them to your MKV file, so that you won't have to go to so much trouble to include the subtitles. We can all look forward to that!

19. slmd2g

slmd2g Member

OR, you could use MakeMKV to rip the correct track w/ the correct audio and subtitles, then use Handbrake to encode just the video track to a good quality w/ compression, then use MKVMerge to make the final .mkv combine back the DTS sound track, subtitles, and chapters. This gets you an exact 1:1 of subtitles and audio, and just a slightly compressed video track to save space but still provide a GREAT quality picture.