1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

which to pay attention more, Video Card or Rams?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by BrokenDream, Apr 1, 2013.

1. BrokenDream

BrokenDream Member

I was wondering, I wanted to upgrade my comp a bit, I have friends that seem to drown me of the thought to try Skyrim but my comp isn't up the standards to play it really, ( plus I did like morrowind ) and ideally, I always wanted to try Dark Souls.

So here's my ordeal, I went to check out the minimum recommendation from System requirement lab: Can you run it, and it seem under the minimum, my ram was fine of the minimum of of 2.0 ram ( I have 3.8 ram to note ) but the video card which require 512MB dedicated video ram, it only give out 384MB

When I check under the recommended, it recommend that the ram should be 4.0, and my video card 1GB of ram ( the Pixel and Vertex shader is fine to note ).

So my question is, as a guy on a budget, should I buy and upgrade my video card, or ram?
    As a additional question, is there a way to to force more dedicated video ram to the video card?

If it help, here is my specs:

Acer AspireX3400G AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 255 Processor
    3.1 GHz Cpu speed
    3.8 GB Ram
    GeForce 9200 video card
    (If anyone can recommend a good video card and a good price, I would very much appeciated it. )

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

get a videocard as your pc has onboard video not a seperate videocard. also onboard video are low end versions compared to full blown videocards. what is your budget & what is the output wattage of your power supply?

3. BrokenDream

BrokenDream Member

My limit give or take is $100 - $300, I know their costly, but I don't want to go over the $300, ideally any money saving deal would just be helpful as long as the video card is powerful enough for some major games ^^;;.

As for the Output, I may be wrong about this since I'm not 100% sure, but checking inside the comp, the label say "Output continue Power 220W, 80 plus Bronze"

There is some additional thing on the label such like: +3.3V & +5V total output not exceed 80W

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  4. ddp

5. BrokenDream

BrokenDream Member

Thats definitely the same comp.

6. ddp

7. BrokenDream

BrokenDream Member

ok, I will do so, although it will take me awhile since ideally I don't know how to answer some of the calculations. ^^;;

8. ddp

9. BrokenDream

BrokenDream Member

Thank you for the info, I would have been definitely lost on this part for awhile . ^^;;

Although I do have a question, how do I know which PSU would be advisable to buy and able to actually fit in my comp?

Edit: Err...., scratch that, now that I truly check my comp,A new PSU and probably Video card would be quite big to actually fit in this small computer case, this is becoming quite more complicated then I expected. XD

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  10. ddp

that is why i use clone computers instead of namebrand computers as you can replace any part in a clone easily compared to some namebrands like yours. you might still be able use your current parts minus the psu in a new case thereby allowing you to upgrade whenever you want. can get a new case with psu for $80+ & still have money leftover for a new video card.

11. BrokenDream

BrokenDream Member

Sounds like a plan that I will have to do if I want this to work for me.

Question though, is there any computer case that you might suggest would be good to go for?
    ( I'm sorry for asking all these question, although I have some knowledge, I only know some minor to basic things of such trivia. ^^;; )

12. ddp

look at the cases but get 1 that has 4x5.25" bays & at least 4+ 3.5" bays. if you have to then take your computer with you to see if the motherboard will fit to the mounting posts of the case.

13. BrokenDream

BrokenDream Member

Thank you very much ddp, I think for now I will take the time to do a bit of research on what component I need and invest a bit more money for the parts, I know it will take some time, but I do look forward to this nifty project.

14. ddp

no problem.